cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5g network

New Poster

No 5g network

Sometimes when the system is running slow I change from the 2 g network to the 5g network.  However I noticed that the 5g network is missing.  I tried several devices and they cannot find the 5g network.  Could the 5g radio be bad and not broadcasting?  Is there a way to test it?.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: No 5g network

@radar180 

If devices that had previously used the 5Ghz band cannot now, they may need to forget or delete prior network in order to find all networks available again.  The process varies by operating system, but Googling it for a specific operating system should provide you with the instructions for doing so.  Often times simply restarting the device can do this, as well.  

You can also power cycle the HughesNet modem to make sure that everything on it is "reset" and working properly.  To do so, unplug the modem at either the wall outlet or power pack, wait at least a minute, then plug it back in.  Then wait at least five minutes before attempting to reconnect in order to make sure that the modem is fully up and ready.  

Also, check to make sure that the 5Ghz band hasn't somehow been disabled in the modem.  You can see by the State Code in the System Summary box near the top of this page of the System Control Center.  If you see a State Code of 14.2.2, it means that the 5Ghz radio has been turned off.  If you see anything other than 0.0.0, it might be a good idea to note that in your reply if you don't have success in reconnecting the devices.    

A couple of things to keep in mind regarding the 5Ghz band:  Even to this day, many devices still cannot utilize the 5Ghz band, but nearly all can utiilize the 2.4Ghz band.  Also, the 5Ghz band has a shorter range than the 2.4Ghz band.

If after trying these things you're still not able to connect to the 5Ghz band, and you know for a fact that the device you're using has that ability and was connected to the 5Ghz before, please reply to let us know, and again, list the State Code you're seeing if it's anything other than 0.0.0.  Though unlikely, it's still always possible that there is something amiss with the modem.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

I deleted the 5g from both my phone and computer and it cam back up on both devises.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
Distinguished Professor IV

@radar180 

You're very welcome.  I'm glad it worked and that I could be of help.  Smiley Happy  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit