No Netflix or Wifi Calling

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaleaf
Freshman

No Netflix or Wifi Calling

I got Gen 5 Hughesnet installed today because I live in a rural area with no phone service and want to watch netflix with my Mom. My cell phone "used to" work on a booster, since the dish was installed now it will not and WiFi calling on my ATT iPhone 7 will not work. I can hear the people on the other end without a problem but they cant hear me. Sounds like I am in a tunnel and only hear every other word. I cant call customer service because now I cant get cell coverage. Also Netflix wont work. The website comes up but I cant even see the pictures of the titles of the movies and shows and when I try to play them it says its not connected to internet. Tried powering down everything and restarting and still nothing. When he set it up youtube worked. Internet is rather slow and I cannot use what I ordered the service for and now cant even use my phone. I dont want to pay another fee for the phone service because I already have a cell phone I pay $100 a month for that worked before the Hughesnet was installed and would have to drive 45mins now to get a cell signal to call. I tried calling hughesnet from my cell and they cannot hear me anymore. I dont know what to do because its hard for me to afford this anyway especially if its something we cannot use and I cant afford the cancellation fee. This is not fair to bind us for 2 years for something that doesnt suit our needs. I got better internet on my cell phone that no longer works since install. Also, I am not able to download my email now onto my mac in the email app. Says there are no new messages when they download into iphone. There is something strange with this service.
11 REPLIES 11
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Cell phone over WiFi on satellite will not work well due to the inherent higher latency.

As far as Netflix not working, what are your results when you run these tests?  http://my.hughesnet.com/support?_mpsource=Header&_udreq=1&tab=SpeedTest

Also can try reducing the Netflix definition in playback settings and pausing/turning off Video Optimization in the Video Settings of the HughesNet Status Meter.

Thank You for the info. Bummed about the wifi cell phone calling issue. Part of the reason I got this is so my Mom can use her phone. We cant really afford the hughes voice.
As for the SpeedTest
Server: Dallas
Download Speed: 16.89 Mbps
Upload Speed: 0.62 Mbps

We cant even get previews in netflix only a screen with boxes and text of the titles and play butttons. Pressing the play button gets us a spinning red circle that goes for a while then goes to an error message.
Whoops! Internet Connection Error

But we are online
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Go here and set to low or medium definition to see if it makes a difference: https://www.netflix.com/HdToggle

Also can try turning off or pausing Video Optimization using the StatusMeter:

Capture.PNG

I did, thank you. It makes no difference. Still wont play and no browser previews. I tried safari and firefox. I am using a macbook pro with high sierra operating system

Thank You. I tried that it makes no difference. No browser previews either. I am running High Sierra Os on macbook pro. Tried safari and firefox

Birdog,

Thank you for the info.  Much better than HugesNet technical help.

"Cell phone over WiFi on satellite will not work well due to the inherent higher latency."

Does this mean my cell phone will not work with my ATT M-Cell?

This is absolutely not what sales told me when I signed up.

I told her I live in a rural area on the edge of cell service.

The installer connected my M-cell to the HughesNet modem and said it will work. 

Callers to my cell phone hear every other word.

My M-Cell is 5 years old. 

Is there a newer device that addresses the latency issue?

Thank you.

hank.beltram@sbcglobal.net

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@HankBeltram, probably will also not work well for same reason as already mentioned, high latency. Have heard of some getting both Wifi calling and M-cell to work but is hit and miss based on beam/gateway loading, speed, latency at any given time. As a rule these will not work well if at all and when they will or won't work is a dice shoot.

Note the description in this Cisco box description:

Capture.PNG

"Cell phone over WiFi on satellite will not work well due to the inherent higher latency."

This isn't true with other providers, Exede/Viasat has seemless Wifi calling from a cellphone. Unfortunately, I went with Hughes without researching this, because my Wifi calling worked so well on a friends Exede setup, I didn't think it would have been an issue with another provider. I feel (maybe) either Hughes deliberately delays Wifi calls, so people are made to use Hughes' VoIP calling, at an additional cost, or their equipment is not as good as Exede/Viasat's.

I have no problem with Netflix or Amazon Prime Video though.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@wajacksonjr wrote:

This isn't true with other providers, Exede/Viasat has seemless Wifi calling from a cellphone. Unfortunately, I went with Hughes without researching this, because my Wifi calling worked so well on a friends Exede setup, I didn't think it would have been an issue with another provider. I feel (maybe) either Hughes deliberately delays Wifi calls, so people are made to use Hughes' VoIP calling, at an additional cost, or their equipment is not as good as Exede/Viasat's.

I have no problem with Netflix or Amazon Prime Video though.

Really, very interesting. I've searched  their site and the Internet and see nowhere that cell over WiFi works seamlessly. It is about the satellite delay and they have the same delay as HughesNet. No getting around it.

They must have some super duper tech going on. Care to post some links about people people using WiFi calling seamlessly?

@BirdDog wrote:

They must have some super duper tech going on. Care to post some links about people people using WiFi calling seamlessly?

They transmit through an artificial wormhole that passes through a solar flare. Erases all latency (and causality) issues.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

@BirdDog wrote:

They transmit through an artificial wormhole that passes through a solar flare. Erases all latency (and causality) issues.

What is so hard to understand about delay and a satellite being 23K miles out in space? Then the back and forth communication adding to the delay. I wasn't a rocket scientist in school but I do understand some basic physics.

Honestly scared what is being taught in schools now. Probably Facebook and Twitter interaction.