No VOIP rule

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IntoTheWoods
Junior

No VOIP rule

About 10 weeks ago, I had Gen5 installed. I have an HT2000W router. My connection to the Internet has been working great with a received signal strength in the 105 range, download speeds of 35 to 45 Mbps, and upload speeds around 3 Mbps.

A few weeks after my dish and router was installed, I also signed up for HughesNet voice service. I received the Innomedia ATA device sent to me by UPS and installed the ATA according to the instructions. That all went fine.

I don't use the phone all that much, but several people have told me that my voice "cuts out" periodically. I have had this complaint on pretty much every call I've made. I can generally hear other people OK, though sometimes the downlink audio breaks up for a moment.

In looking at the QoS setup in my HT2000W router, the router's QoS page says, "If you subscribed for a VOIP plan, then those rules will automatically be configured by the router and appear under the 'VOIP Rule' category." However, no such VOIP rule is list, and no automatic configuration ever happened.

My question is twofold:

1. Is there some way I can cause the router, or whatever is responsible, to configure the VOIP rule?

2. Or can I create a "User Rule" that would be similarly effective?

Many thanks...

26 REPLIES 26
Liz

Hi IntoTheWoods,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Our engineers are already working to address outgoing audio quality. They expect to have a fix rolled out nationwide in a few weeks. Once I have any additional updates to share, I'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz!

Does this apply to customers of other VOIP services too?  It seems both Hughes net voice customers as well as other VOIP services are having the same problem.  I thought it was because my upload speeds were slow, but according to this original post that does not seem to be the case.

Good morning LivingLegend,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Third Party VOIP services in general won't work very well with HughesNet, so I can't say that whatever the engineers have planned will have much of an effect for you. If you do have concerns with the upload speeds we're providing, by all means please start your own thread with your speed tests posted. Here are our speed test instructions for your convenience.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning IntoTheWoods,

The latest update on the fix for the degraded outgoing call quality is that our engineers' goal is to have it rolled out by first week of August. Should this change, I will let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thank you, Liz. It's good to know that the engineers are on it.

I'm still wondering about the fact that my router never automatically created a "VOIP rule" after I installed the HughesNet voice ATA. Is this something that I can deal with now? Or should I put this question on hold until after the fix is rolled out in August?

In theory, you could add the rule your self, though, im not sure how well it will work, if at all since the VOIP data goes over a different channel on the satellite side of the combo modem/router.  I mean, the modem WILL give priority to all data going to the ATA, however there are other settings that can't be modified that may or may not be present.

Just go to Advanced > QoS > Traffic Mapping > Add Traffic Class, then select Client Device under Type, and select your ATA under Devices, and set the Priority to High.  Don't forget to give it a name, and dont forget to enable QoS under Advanced > QoS  > QoS Function
af96cb028b4b81e004b8ff86d6bba6e4

HOWEVER, since there are issues that engineering is looking into dealing with call quality, this may not help any, at all.

Let's wait til the fix is rolled out before deciding if additional troubleshooting/tweaking is needed.

HI Liz...

I believe you said in another thread that the fix for audio problems with Gen5 voice would be rolled out nationwide on July 19, which is today.

When I got up this morning, WIFI was down on my HT2000W modem. I keep a window open for the system status display, and one of the last things it said was "Software download status: Updating..."

After half an hour of nothing changing on its own, I reset the HT2000W modem. I am now back on line. Can I assume that what happened during the night was that a software update was pushed out and that I should now be running on new firmware with the voice fix installed?

Many thanks...

@IntoTheWoods

If you go to your modems control panel and click System Information, then look at Application Software, what version do you see?  Latest will be WIFI_3.4.3.35, and Wifi Software should be 0.09.22

Corrosive, thank you. Those are indeed the software versions I have.

Do you know if that means that I should now have a fix for my problems with audio quality with HughesNet voice? Though Liz said that a fix was to be rolled out today, I don't recall anyone saying that the fix was to be in the form of a software update for the HT2000W.

Many thanks...

I can't specifically say whether or not the voice fix is part of that software package, or other backend changes that may have occured at the same time...

So here's a question: On my Application Software page I see WIFI_3.4.3.33 and blank (nothing) for WiFi Software (see photo).  Am I missing something?

Application Software PageApplication Software Page

Thanks for the quick response!

No, the system does not indicate it is updating (see below), in fact it indicates the system is "up to date."  I also rebooted the modem and the software section still shows the older version in the Application Software and blank in the WiFi Software fields.SystemStatus.JPGas before.

Unfortunately, though my firmware appears to have been updates last night, my audio problem with HughesNet voice have not been resolved. In a 20-minute phone call this morning, there were audio cutouts on both sides of the conversation, and the connection was dropped twice before I gave up resorted to my cell phone.

Hi IntoTheWoods,

Thanks for letting us know you're still experiencing audio quality issues. I'd like to escalate your case, so let's get some basic troubleshooting out of the way first.

Are you using the corded or cordless phone?

Please post your ATA's MAC address (should be printed on a label on the bottom of the ATA).

I ran diagnostics on your site to check on your overall ability to access the internet and all looks fine. Is your internet browsing OK?

As for the update that was rolled out this morning, this is an update to our gateways, not your modem, so there isn't anything to check for on your end.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Hi Liz...

Thank you for your help with this!

My ATA's MAC address is 00109933e227. I am using a corded phone — a Western Electric Bell System classic, as a matter of fact. I prefer the classic phones because no one has ever improved on the ergonomics of the handset, and its audio is superior.

Web browsing works great here. A testmy.net check shortly after my problem voice call this morning showed 43 Mpbs down and 2.8 up. It is possible that, when browsing, I occasionally have extra-long moments of latency lasting five to ten seconds or more, but I can't prove that because it's impossible to control for all the variables. I have always been able to stream, say, HBO Now just fine. Overall I am extremely pleased with my Gen5 data service.

I greatly appreciate your help...

Good morning IntoTheWoods,

Thanks for the information, this helps! Lastly, can you please let me know if the LEDs on your ATA are normal? They should look like this:

Innomedia ATA LED.png

Looking forward to hearing back.

Liz,

Strange. All lights are as in your photo with the exception of the LAN light, which is not lit at all.

When I first set everything up, I used the yellow cable that came with the ATA to connect the WAN port on the ATA to a LAN port on the HT2000W. As a test just now, I removed the yellow cable and replaced it with an ordinary gray ethernet cable plugged into the same ports. That produced no change. All lights are as before, with the LAN light not lit.

I hope this is the clue you need!