No bytes after 4 days

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hkish127
New Poster

No bytes after 4 days

I have gen5. Data refreshes end of the month. This is month two and I got 4 days out of my 20gb. Which I was assured this would be enough Dara for my household.
No help from phone call to Hughes net. I was told to do a Dara check for leaks. Did that and took my screen shots. Now I need to post them here and I cannot not post any pictures. So now what do I do. I’ll be VERY honest I am very unhappy with this service and I feel like no one can help.
12 REPLIES 12
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@hkish127 

You can click on the photo button when replying to upload the snapshots.  The photo button is located in the same area as the buttons for bold, italics, underline, etc.  

It's very likely that either activity, like streaming, or a device(s) that's using data on it's own, is using up your data so quickly.  

What devices do you have connected to your HughesNet service?  Is one of them a satellite TV receiver, by chance?  You can see what is connected to your HughesNet modem, and what was connected, but is no longer, since the last time the modem was powered up, here.

I don’t have any buttons to change text or add photos. I use an iPhone to access this site and all others. I have a cancel and a post and a space for message tags and that’s it.

Do you work for HughesNet Gabe? I do not have satellite tv. Only internet. I have a hand full of devices connected on a daily basis. The first month of use we didn’t run out until about 5 days before the end of the month. Nothing has changed except for adding a WiFi booster on the recommendation of a HughesNet tech over the phone.
GabeU

@hkish127 

No, I'm not a HughesNet employee, but rather a long time subscriber (nearly 15 years).  Only those with Moderator or something similar next to their names are HughesNet employees, with those mainly being Liz, Damian and Amanda.  

Regarding your first month of service, your data allotment was continually refilled for the first twenty days.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy for new customers in order to enable them to update/upgrade their devices to current without having to use their normal data allotment to do it, as those activities, especially if the devices haven't been connected in a while, can use a lot of data.  After those twenty days the data starts being deducted in the normal fashion.  Because of this, your data in your first month actually only lasted five or six days, much like what is happening now.  

Depending on the devices connecting, they can still be using a lot of data that you aren't aware of.  One culprit could be cloud connections, like to the iCloud.  Knowing what devices you use with HughesNet, other than the iPhone, can help us to suggest settings and/or apps that may help to determine not only where the data is going, but how to reduce the usage of such.  I don't mean absolute specifics like model numbers or anything, but just as an arbitrary example, "An Android phone, an iPhone, an Android based tablet, a Windows 10 laptop and a Firestick."  Because of the limited amount of high speed data with satellite internet, locking down your devices so that they don't use more data than necessary is very important.  

Regarding the iPhone, I'm not familiar with using one for the Community.  Others may be, and they may have some ideas on how to post the pictures.  

Again, it's very likely that what's happening is that your devices are using a lot more data than you realize, and possibly even without your knowledge.  I don't mean anything nefarious, but rather automatic processes and such, like the aforementioned cloud connections.  As for streaming, if you do so on any of those devices, it can use up to 3GB or so per hour, depending on the resolution. 

maratsade

A mod may have to intervene here -- I tried Safari and Chrome on the iPhone and there doesn't seem to be a way that I can see to upload a picture to the community when using those mobile browsers. I also checked to see if the email form (found under Contact Us) allowed attachments and it doesn't.  Maybe the mods can give the OP an email address he can send the pictures to.

maratsade

They sell you the bytes. How you budget them is your problem, not theirs.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

hkish127 wrote:
I have gen5. Data refreshes end of the month. This is month two and I got 4 days out of my 20gb. Which I was assured this would be enough Dara for my household.
No help from phone call to Hughes net. I was told to do a Dara check for leaks. Did that and took my screen shots. Now I need to post them here and I cannot not post any pictures. So now what do I do. I’ll be VERY honest I am very unhappy with this service and I feel like no one can help.

Gabe clearly stated that they gift you data in your first month. This is not a gift to me. I had 30 days to cancel. They deceive you by giving you extra data so you THINK heyyyy this is great. Then second month BAM your out of data. Then you call for help. They send you HERE to start a thread and say “someone from HUGESNET will be in touch within a day” I’d never waste my time posting here just for another customers opinion on what my issue is bc honestly you don’t know my household my usage setup etc and THIS ISNT YOUR JOB TO BE THEIR TECH SUPPORT!
I’m sorry if this comes off crass but I’m not looking for your opinions on what I “could” do. I want someone from the company to help me! Which has been longer than the one day. Still phone calls get me no where and being instructed to come here and post my pictures (which I cannot do still) is just a waste of my time and honestly my money bc this service isnt cheap.

I’m very happy all you satisfied responding customers haven’t had issues and you can talk up this company and freely work for them.
maratsade

• The 20 days of refilling data is mentioned in the welcome email. Maybe you didn't read that. 
  • That you can see a courtesy as a deception says a lot about you. 
  • You were out of data the second month because of how you used the data. They sell you date; how you use it is your responsibility.
  • This is a customer to customer site -- the Hughesnet people here intervene only when fellow customers can't help.  Gabe is trying to help you and you are ingnoring his help.  It is likely the the HughesNet reps will not intervene until you do what Gabe asks. 
  • Good luck to you. 

Where does it say you have 30 days to cancel?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I was told on the phone. By the rep from Hughes net and was also told by the installer after setup.

Clearly you think your opinion must matter to me. As another unpaid unsolicited advice giver on behalf of Hughesnet.
I do not have a welcome email but you must know that already Since you know sooo much about me.
I don’t see gifted data as a pro.

I purchased exactly what their rep told me I would need. Maybe they should hire you instead.

I’m not ignoring his help. It wasn’t helpful.I’m doing exactly as Hughes net told me to do which was not to come here for customer to customer help it was customer to representative help.

Mind your own business and go post on someone else’s thread that might want unsolicited unpaid employees voices.
maratsade

"Clearly you think your opinion must matter to me. "

Nope. I don't give a fig one way or another.  You go ahead and do you and see where that leads you, and God bless. 

GabeU

@hkish127 

You came here looking for help for your data usage issue.  To help with a data issue, there is a troubleshooting process, and that troubleshooting process is the same, no matter who is involved, as in fellow subscriber or a HughesNet rep.  The questions, and the process, are the same.  

What you're thinking is going on with the twenty days of data refills is called a "bait and switch", as in making a service look better than it normally is during a period in which you can cancel without penalty.  There is no "bait and switch" here, as there is no 30 day cancellation period.  The contract is valid the second the service goes live, as is stated, though not verbatim, in the Residential Subscriber Agreement, which you can read here.  If you were told during the sales call that you have 30 days in which to cancel, you can request a sales call review regarding this misinformation.  Instructions for doing so are in the first paragraph of my reply to Mrfoot.   

No, I don't know your setup, which is why I asked, as anyone attempting to help someone with a data issue would do.  And no, it isn't my job to be their tech support.  I'm not attempting to be.  Just like every other person on this site, with the exception of a three or four HughesNet reps that help with things we can't, I volunteer my time to help fellow HughesNet subscribers when they are having issues that I can help with, as well as helping others to get the most out of their service.  It's disheartening that you don't seem to get the concept of someone giving of themselves to help others without getting some sort of remuneration.  

The pictures are just one part of the troubleshooting process for unexplained data loss.  The rest of it doesn't require pictures.  

And no one ever said none of us have had issues.  We all have.  When we did, we took advantage of the mountain of collective knowledge among longtime, experienced fellow subscribers.  We explained our issue(s), and others helped, and when those fellow users couldn't, the reps stepped in to do so.  High data usage is one of the most common issues among new users, and for the reasons I already explained, and which would be why this post and this post are dedicated to it.  

Lastly, I really do hope you get your issue(s) resolved, but it's a shame that you'll only allow specific people to help you in that endeavor and you think odd of anyone else who tries. 

Good luck to you.