Hughesnet Community

No cellular WiFi calling service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerryandrea

No cellular WiFi calling service

I became a HughesNet customer three days ago. I have NO Sprint WiFi calling service! I cant even call someone standing 3ft away from me. This was not an issue with our previous provider and I was not definately told that I would not be able to make cell phone calls anymore, when I signed up. I need this issue addressed immediately. Oh yes, I would call, but I cant!
19 REPLIES 19
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

WiFi calling over internet will not work well with satellite because of the latency. They can't fix the latency as the satellite is 22 thousand miles up in space.

You still have previous provider available?
jerryandrea

I was let out of the last contract and cannot go back. Do you know why Hughes Net fails to let new customers know this? We dont have a home phone and dont wish to have one.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

They have a VoIP service. No way they can know everything you want to use in today's world. A bit of research will show satellite and cell phone WiFi calling will not work well.

During sales call did you say you wanted to use WiFi calling?
jerryandrea

I did not realize I had to mention this, I am not a technical person. There is a lag when I call someone standing next to me, but when calling someone in another city or state, it does not work at all.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, when standing in same room or house it is using your local WiFi, when calling outside you are going through the satellite. Again, satellite = delay, usually so much it doesn't work.
jerryandrea

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but it still doesnt do me any good. I am now in a contract with a company that does not provide the coverage I need.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Actually, when standing in same room and both devices using the satellite it is going through the satellite using the WiFi connection. Just a much shorter path than going out to the internet when calling someone not using the HughesNet satellite connection.

Satellite internet will not improve your cell phone coverage.
Liz

Good morning jerryandrea,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I'm glad to see BirdDog has already addressed your concerns with trying to use WiFi calling. As he mentioned, we do have HughesNet Voice which is a phone service that is optimized to work with your HughesNet internet. You can learn more about it here: https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started/hughesnet-voice

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

jerryandrea

Appreciate the information, but I do not want a home phone or a higher bill.

Im having the same problem.  Hooked up a cell booster to the Hughes modem.  Constant breaking up and lots of static.  Ive no idea what to do.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Michael86401 wrote:

Im having the same problem.  Hooked up a cell booster to the Hughes modem.  Constant breaking up and lots of static.  Ive no idea what to do.

There's nothing you can do.  Cellular Wifi calling doesn't work properly with Hughesnet.  

With that said, Hughesnet does offer their own home VOIP service.  

Not being mean or arrogant but if I had known that ahead of time I wouldn't have went with Hughes Sat. for internet. And no I didn't google "cell phone service with Sat. Internet".  I don't want to pay for phone service through Hughes because of the added $24.95 on top of $75.00 for the internet and I have cell phones that I already pay monthly for.  I'm a disabled veteran so I try not to spend money foolishly.  Hughes should give a 30 day trial period in which you can decide if you like it or not without paying termination fees.    Plus my dl speeds drop down to 1mb constantly.  I've already chatted with a tech on that. Connections are fine so nothing they can do they say.  I just left a local Sat. Internet Co. that gave me 10mb dl but it was consistent and cell phone boosters worked with their service.  I will keep Hughes net because of the termination fees unless arrangements can be made.  I haven't had the service but a little over a week now..

Hello,

Just some helpful tips - usually cell providers will have an FAQ on their website that mentions compatiblity. Here are some helpful starting areas:

Sprint AIRWAVE booster/AP

https://www.sprint.com/landings/airave/files/AIRAVE_Access_Point_FAQs.pdf?INTMKT=MKT:MS:20131030:AIR...

SprintAIRWAVE.JPG

T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot (minitower)

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24269

TMobileCellSpot.JPG

Verizon Network Extender

https://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/network_extender_user_manual.pdfVerizonNetExtender.JPG

Thanks,

Amanda

I was just reading over a few customer comments & it reminded me.  I made certain that the lady that signed me up for service agreed that my cell phone wifi would work with Hughes net.  I made sure to say that when she was recording also. So what happens now that I was guaranteed that wifi with my cell phone would work and it doesn't?

@Michael86401

Did you sign up directly through Hughesnet?  If so, then @Amanda can pull your sales call recording and see what was said.  If the agent promised that Wifi Calling with your cell phone would work, they may be able to let you out of contract, but, I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

There is also the added issue that it's known those microcell towers do not always work with Satellite Internet due to latency, and the packaging that usually comes with those units will state this.  It's not upto Hughes to educate consumers about third party products and services that may, or may not work, especially when the product states it may not be compatible with satellite services.

Yes I called Hughes Net from an ad off of the internet.  I spoke with a lady that gave me details and I asked her specifically whether I could use the internet from Hughes Net for Cell Phone and she said yes.   I think someone should pull the recording.  I enjoyed the conversation with the lady and she was very pleasant but I do remember telling her ...As long as it works for my cell phones thats fine I will agree to the terms. 

"It's not upto Hughes to educate consumers about third party products and services that may, or may not work, especially when the product states it may not be compatible with satellite services." 

That sounded borderline disrespectful....be careful.   I had the system installed by a Contractor of Hughes Net.  I wasn't shown any documents or manuals. They came to my home, installed it,  made sure I had connectivity and they left.  My Cell phone booster was sitting right beside your modem when they hooked it up. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Michael86401 wrote:

My Cell phone booster was sitting right beside your modem when they hooked it up. 

Corrosive isn't a Hughesnet employee.  He's a customer, like you.  Only those with the "Moderator" title are Hughesnet employees.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Michael86401 wrote:

Not being mean or arrogant but if I had known that ahead of time I wouldn't have went with Hughes Sat. for internet. And no I didn't google "cell phone service with Sat. Internet".  I don't want to pay for phone service through Hughes because of the added $24.95 on top of $75.00 for the internet and I have cell phones that I already pay monthly for.  I'm a disabled veteran so I try not to spend money foolishly.  Hughes should give a 30 day trial period in which you can decide if you like it or not without paying termination fees.    Plus my dl speeds drop down to 1mb constantly.  I've already chatted with a tech on that. Connections are fine so nothing they can do they say.  I just left a local Sat. Internet Co. that gave me 10mb dl but it was consistent and cell phone boosters worked with their service.  I will keep Hughes net because of the termination fees unless arrangements can be made.  I haven't had the service but a little over a week now..

Michael, it sounds like you may have been on WISP previously, not satellite. From what I know cell extenders also do not work well on the single residential satellite competitor HughesNet has. All about the latency. WISP latency can be around 30 ms compared to sateliite 600+.

Same complaint, I even mentioned to the installer that I use my phone through my modem (Verizon DSL worked), and he just smiled. No one unfortunately has a solution except; leave when contract expires.