No connectivity in remote Alaska

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wclodge
New Poster

No connectivity in remote Alaska

I am writing for my neighbor. They have had no internet for 24 hours plus. She says....

We have no connectivity...none with the Management Server or NOC Router. The modem has all lights, most of the time. The System status goes between green (OK) and yellow (degraded). The TCP is listed as impaired and the Web Accelerator is either Inactive or Not Operational. A connection has not been successful for over 24 hours..plus. When checking the "Problem Troubleshooter" it lists an issue with the Uplink.
We live in remote Alaska and know of one other site in our bay with identical issues. It is doubtful that both modems or computers would produce the same problem at the same time. Could you please check our system from your end? 

And if anyone in the community has experienced this issue please share your solutions!!

Our neighbor is acting as the middle man in this conversation!!

12 REPLIES 12
wclodge
New Poster

Forgot to mention that we have a HN7000s modem as do most remote sites in Alaska.

You have come to the right spot for help. Standby for helpful post, some may even be from the corporate mods.

Hang in there,

Ricky

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@wclodge

I know it's kind of an odd situation as you are asking for someone else having issues with their system and there would be some type of identification needed for the reps to know which account to check, but, even though it may make the situation that much more difficult, it's not a good idea to post an account number (the number that starts with DSS) on the site.  Actually, they say to never do so.

Again, I know the situation is a little different, but I would edit the account number out (click on the three dots to the upper right of the post and click Edit Message), and then give the account number privately (through a PM) if they request that you do so.  

With that said, it's nice that you are helping your neighbor.  You can't beat having good neighbors.  🙂  

Thanks GabeU!

I did send an email trouble report and as always they said to call 'this number'. We don't have phones out here, totally off the grid but for HughesNet. That being said, some of us have satellite phones for emergencies and have found when calling HughesNet we are generally put on hold and the call gets dropped. ...but I digress.

What I wanted to say is that I did get a case ID number and did give them our neighbors DSS number and some other info. That ID number is 105697883. I hope one of the reps can access that information. If not I will wait for more instructions.

i really appreciate this community! 

GabeU

@wclodge

I'm glad that you posted a case number.  That will surely help them. 

With regard to the DSS, it's very important to keep that account number private.  I can't stress this enough.  With the case number you've provided they probably won't even need the DSS, but if they do they can PM you on this site to request that info.  Actually, I believe they can see all edits, anyway, so even if and when you edit the DSS out of the post they would be able to see what it is.  But, if the reps need any personal, private info, like a DSS number, they can private message you through this site.  

With this said, I'm sure once a rep reads the thread they, themselves, will edit the DSS number out of the post if you haven't yet gotten to it.  

Hi wclodge,

Thanks for posting, so good of you to help your neighbor. I was able to locate their account with the case number you provided, thank you. Fortunately, what sli-er_15 suggested is the way to go. Powercycling the modem and trying the Turbopage teardown is the best thing to do in these cases for our Alaskan sites. Please let us know how it goes. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

sli-er_15
Sophomore

I get that a lot of the time with my HN7000S modem too, although never for 24 hours plus like your neibhor. Most of the time a modem reboot and/or turbo page teardown fixes it until the next time. 

Link to instructions on how to perform a turbo page teardown.

Hey sil-er_15,

Thanks so much for your response. I didn't know that was even an option and will print out those instructions and have my husband skiff (boat) them over to the neighbors tomorrow. We have another neighbor, over the mountain in another arm of our bay that is experiencing the same problem. Will also share that info with him.

We don't tend to be very high tech and appreciate any direction. It sure can't hurt.

Crossing our fingers!

You're very welcome. If the reboot and/or trying the turbopage teardown doesn't work, I would suggest that they see if excede covers their area. From what I heard it's a lot better than Hughesnet. It doesn't sound like they'll getany more support from Hughesnet if the above doesn't work.

GabeU

@sli-er_15 wrote:

You're very welcome. If the reboot and/or trying the turbopage teardown doesn't work, I would suggest that they see if excede covers their area. From what I heard it's a lot better than Hughesnet. It doesn't sound like they'll getany more support from Hughesnet if the above doesn't work.

I can assure you that the aforementioned competition has their own problems, as their support community demonstrates.  And when comparing the two communities, you'll not only notice a difference in the support provided, but also the collective knowledge of their respective members.  

No ISP is 100% reliable, and when problems come up they are worked on.  

I understand that no ISP is 100% reliable, especially here in rural AK. Hughesnet is my 3rd ISP and possibly the last since it's the only option we have for any kind of internet in our part of Alaska.

From what I heard about Excede is that it has more data that one can use for the same amount of money spent on what we have now and that it is a lot faster than what Hughesnet is offering it's Alaskan customers. Hughesnet customer service has told me that they do not have any current plans to upgrade it's Alaskan customer's like they have with their customers in parts of Canada and lower 48 states, so we are basically stuck with the outdated HN7000S modems that have really low daily data caps. In this regard, Excede is a lot better than Hughesnet.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Actually, Hughesnet is offering Gen5 service, but only in very select portions of Alaska...  It's rather difficult to provide service that far north... Alaska has I think a grand total of 5 beams which would cover a large chunk of the USA, however, due to the location, they become long narrow spots up there and can't cover as much land mass...