No dail tone but rings incoming calls?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharonmoses
Sophomore

No dail tone but rings incoming calls?

I have a cordless handset which is fairly new so I'm not sure if this is a problem with my phone or my VOIP service.My phone rings incoming calls and callers can even leave messages on my phones answering machine. When someone calls and my phone rings nothing shows up on the caller ID and when I answer it my phone seems is dead, no dail tone no sound at all. I can however click the hanset caller ID after the caller hangs up and see the number of the person who just called me. The lights are as the should be (I think) on my   MTA 8328-1N device. Should I go buy a new phone or could this be something VOIP related ?? Thanks for your advice & support.

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Sharon, Do you have HughesNet Voice? I ask because that's the only phone service HughesNet supports. Other VOIP doesn't work well with HN and so it's not supported. 

Yes my VOIP service is with Hugesnet

maratsade

OK, cool. What troubleshooting steps have you done so far? Have you tried turning everything off, waiting a few minutes, and then restarting everything?

Yes turning everything off was 1st thing I did.

maratsade

Great, thanks! Next step is to wait for a HughesNet rep to get involved and provide more troubleshooting steps. 

@Liz , @Remy , @Damian 

Hi sharonmoses,

Thank you for posting and sharing what you've tried so far, this helps. So when you pick up the receiver, there's no dial tone, but you can still receive calls, correct?

Can you please double check all the cables between the ATA, modem, and phone? Make sure they are seated securely on both ends; loose connections cause no dial tone.

Please specify which LEDs are lit on the ATA.

Have you ever had dial tone?

When did the lack of dial tone start?

Did this start after you got a new phone?

If you still have your old phone, can you hook it up temporarily to test if you regain the dial tone?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz, It appears everything is seated snug.The phone I have had since November 2020.The problem started yesterday,we had an electrical outage (unknown cause,perhaps due to windy conditions yesterday and weak trees after Febuary ice storm) Anyway when electric was restored my phone rang and everything was fine however within less than 5 minutes after that telemarket call my husband called me on his lunch break it rang but the phone seemed dead when I tried to answer and he ended up a little worried because he knew I should be home lol and I was home but my phone was dead,no dial tone nothing when I answered. The lights on my ATA are green, the 1st light (not sure what that light is) and the 2nd light which has a phone symbol is lit green but it is steadily blinking on and off ??  The 3rd light wish has a globe symbol is lit green, So 3 lights on and phone symbol light blinks also to mention the yellow cord plugged into back of modem wi-fi tower has a green light at top and orange light at bottom.

Hi sharonmoses,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Hi sharonmoses,

Thank you for these additional details. I'm sending you a new ATA to swap out, please let me know how it works out for you.

-Liz