Hughesnet Community

No internet connection or super slow connection, any troubleshooting I can do from home?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bschnapp
Freshman

No internet connection or super slow connection, any troubleshooting I can do from home?

We've only had HughesNet for three weeks, today the connection says either no internet connection, or when it does connect the Hughes Net recommended speed test says .5 Mbps.  Tech person wont be here until Friday to look at this, but my wife needs this for work.  We only have a single computer connected to Hughes Net, and have tried turning everything o nand off, etc.  This has been going on for hours.  If it is faulty tech, how did it break down in three weeks, is that normal?!?!

19 REPLIES 19
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

when you have these issues, please check http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status (it's an internal modem page; no internet connection needed). What's the number next to State Code?

Hey thanks for responding. I don't see a state code anywhere on the screen that shows up, which section should it be under? I can send a screenshot of what I'm seeing if that helps.

My bad, I had been using a different connection for internet since the hughesnet is still so slow/spotty. The code is 0.0.0
maratsade

That code indicates all is well with the equipment, and unfortunately this points to factors on your side being the likely cause of the issue you're experiencing.  You had said a tech would be coming on Friday. Did he figure out what was wrong?

@bschnapp wrote:
My bad, I had been using a different connection for internet since the hughesnet is still so slow/spotty. The code is 0.0.0

Yes, he said the modem was glitchy and I believe the coaxial cable connection (which was already installed) was not the correct one. He swapped the modem and the cable connection but the problems persist, we have someone else coming tomorrow.
We live in an older house, that was abandoned for awhile. During the initial installation I believe the tech used the existing cable and line, I am now thinking these old cables may be worn or frayed, would that explain the poor connection, and wide range of upload/download speeds?
maratsade

The varying speeds can be expected from satellite internet, because of the limited broadband that must be shared among large numbers of subscribers,  as well as other factors. It doesn't take much to overwhelm the system,, especially with so many people working and learning from home.  I don't know about the cables, but it may be a factor.  I do hope this gets resolved for you quickly, hopefully tomorrow. 

Thanks, the varying speeds typically are between 0.15 and 2.0 Mbps, so it ranges from barely being able to connect to not connecting at all. Since the pandemic we are working from home and are only using this for my wife's work computer. If this isn't corrected soon on the verge of losing a job.
Thanks for your help, hope I have good news to report back tomorrow.
maratsade

If the speed issue doesn't get solved after the tech visit, you may want to run some speed tests so the HughesNet reps here can forward them to the engineers.  You will need to follow a very specific procedure, which is described here.  

Let's hope all goes well today.

@bschnapp wrote:
Thanks, the varying speeds typically are between 0.15 and 2.0 Mbps, so it ranges from barely being able to connect to not connecting at all. Since the pandemic we are working from home and are only using this for my wife's work computer. If this isn't corrected soon on the verge of losing a job.
Thanks for your help, hope I have good news to report back tomorrow.

They resheduled from Tuesday at 8-11 to Wednesday at 11-2, just got a call that they have to reschedule again for tomorrow from 2-5.  So no news yet.

maratsade

I'm really sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed that tomorrow will be the day they show up. 

bschnapp wrote:

They resheduled from Tuesday at 8-11 to Wednesday at 11-2, just got a call that they have to reschedule again for tomorrow from 2-5.  So no news yet.

I hope they can get their schedule caught up.  Its cold and blustry HERE today. Temperature and humidity changes could effect outdoor connections over time. But then again, mice and other rodents could also effect indoor wireing. I suspect my CAT has been sleeping on the job here.  Good luck!!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too - when this was installed a few weeks ago the technician used an existing coaxial and likely some cables that were installed before we moved here ~5 years ago, if those are frayed from mice or wear it may cause the modem to appear to be glitchy, which is what the technician who came last Friday said the issue was and so he replaced the Modem.  

Feeling optimistic with this information and background that we can get this fixed tomorrow.

Even if there repair team is slow, there billing team is super efficient about withdrawing $81 from my account for a plan that was supposed to be $69 a month, and dind't apply any of the refunds I was supposed to get based on email and chat because there service has never worked as promised and hasnt worked at all for the past 11 days.  

Ref#: 882494281 - email stating that they would give me $15 off for first three months

Ref# 134328240 - chat saying my account would be credited for three weeks

But my bill is higher than it was supposed to be?

bschnapp,

Welcome to the Community! From what I'm seeing on your account, today, an agent applied a $66.33 credit, as well as a $15 discount over the next 3 months. Please let us know how the technician visit goes, and if there are improvements!

Thanks,

Remy

well........  @bschnapp 

You know about the squeaky wheel     (that squeaks loudest)?

ya could practice a little more patience Smiley Embarassed

now    Where's That Service man...?  !!! ## !!!

I'm glad you are getting a break on your Bill

Hang in there....... it'll be alright

They came, they put in a cable that probably should have been put in the first place
And still so slow that were using TDS instead. Glad we never canceled that.
Patience is one thing but we needed this for our jobs.
Thanks to those who have assistance.

Bye.

What does your last message mean? An S with a line though it?
maratsade

That's your last message. The s with a line through it means your message is empty.

@bschnapp wrote:
What does your last message mean? An S with a line though it?