HughesNet Community

No internet connection over wifi

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tamisha

No internet connection over wifi

I just had to plug my laptop directly into the modem, because both of my wifi routers would not connect to the internet. I have a Linksys and a Windstream and haven't had any issues with connections on either of them until a few hours ago. I have no clue what the problem is.. any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Do have an Internet connection when connected directly ?
Tamisha

Yes. On now, slow but connected.
Tamisha

Let me rephrase that.. I am connected directly now.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

When using the router can you access its setup page? If not you need to connect the cable directly between the computer and the router then try to access it that way. No modem in the mix and usually connect from LAN port on computer to LAN port on router, not the WAN port.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Tamisha,

Thanks for posting and welcome. If your able to browse when directly connected then something is definitely gone awry with your routers. Can you think of anything that has changed recently? What are the model numbers, and how old are the routers? BirdDog's suggestion on accessing the routers setup page is a good place to start. You may even need a firmware update.

- Chris
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I don't know if you are connecting to the wifi with anything other than your laptop, but if it is just the laptop, and both routers seem to have gone screwy at the same time, I would tend to think it's something to do with the laptop's wifi, not the routers. 

If this is the case, perhaps see if you can reinstall the drivers for the wifi, or maybe even an updated driver.  I know there have been some W10 updates just recently, and we all know they can surely screw things up. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Mordacious

First, why would you be using 2 routers? You need to remove one of the routers. Then I would check to see if some how you WiFi got turned off on the laptop.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

OK, Gabe wins the Captain Obvious award for the day! Blew right by me that most likely the WiFi on the laptop that's the problem. Man, glad it's Friday.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

WOO HOO!!!!! 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Lets look at possible issues: ( with the understanding that at times two routers may be needed depending on the "shape" of a users network.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the first router does not have DHCP enabled then the "router" part of the Hughes modem is tasked with handing out IP addresses to the connected devices.

The HT1000/1100 modem has a DHCP limit of only 5 devices ..... if two routers are connected as AP's then they will take two of the available IP's right off the top.

Check list:

#1: connect a single computer directly to the Hughes modem:
DO YOU HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION: Y/N ?

#2: Disconnect the cable between the computer and the Modem and leave the modem out of the loop for the moment .......

#2a: Connect am Ethernet cable between the COMPUTER and one of the ROUTERS LAN ports. (remember .. no modem connected .. we are NOT looking for internet at this step.

#2b: Power up the ROUTER, power up the computer ....
enter 192.168.1.1 into a browser .....
DO YOU GET THE ROUTERS "LOGIN PAGE"  ? Y/N ?

If yes, go to step 5
If No, enter 192.168.0.1 do you then get the routers login page  ? Y/N ?

#3: If 192.168.1.1 does NOT take you to the Routers internal setup page then the routers assigned LAN IP is misconfigured and is likely in conflict with the Hughes modem.

#4: I'm not on my computer so I don't have my normal stock of pictures at this time.
We now wish to connect the Routers WAN port to the modems LAN port.
We wish to then connect a single computer to one of the routers 4 LAN ports

Due to a lack of pictures tonight I would like you to view a "how-to" I have posted ar the Shack:

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=11985&forum_id=73

We want to work only with "wired" connections at this point to ensure the router is "routing". We will tackle wireless later.

#5: Ensure that DHCP is enabled in the Routers internal settings

At this point take some screenshots of your routers interanl settings and post then here.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Two routers suddenly not working on WiFi, I'm betting card on laptop is turned off, bad or driver update knocked it out. Nice step by step procedure for LAN side though.  : )

I have a Linksys and a Windstream and haven't had any issues with connections on either of them until a few hours ago.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Yup, process of elimination, simplify the network, try an alternate device.
hard wired first, wireless second.