cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet connection over wifi

No internet connection over wifi

I just had to plug my laptop directly into the modem, because both of my wifi routers would not connect to the internet. I have a Linksys and a Windstream and haven't had any issues with connections on either of them until a few hours ago. I have no clue what the problem is.. any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12
Honorary Alumnus

Re: No internet connection over wifi

Do have an Internet connection when connected directly ?

Yes. On now, slow but connected.

Let me rephrase that.. I am connected directly now.
Assistant Professor

When using the router can you access its setup page? If not you need to connect the cable directly between the computer and the router then try to access it that way. No modem in the mix and usually connect from LAN port on computer to LAN port on router, not the WAN port.
Alum

Hi Tamisha,

Thanks for posting and welcome. If your able to browse when directly connected then something is definitely gone awry with your routers. Can you think of anything that has changed recently? What are the model numbers, and how old are the routers? BirdDog's suggestion on accessing the routers setup page is a good place to start. You may even need a firmware update.

- Chris
Distinguished Professor III

I don't know if you are connecting to the wifi with anything other than your laptop, but if it is just the laptop, and both routers seem to have gone screwy at the same time, I would tend to think it's something to do with the laptop's wifi, not the routers. 

If this is the case, perhaps see if you can reinstall the drivers for the wifi, or maybe even an updated driver.  I know there have been some W10 updates just recently, and we all know they can surely screw things up. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

First, why would you be using 2 routers? You need to remove one of the routers. Then I would check to see if some how you WiFi got turned off on the laptop.
Assistant Professor

OK, Gabe wins the Captain Obvious award for the day! Blew right by me that most likely the WiFi on the laptop that's the problem. Man, glad it's Friday.

Distinguished Professor III

WOO HOO!!!!! 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit