No internet connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aztsgt
New Poster

No internet connection

For the last few days I’ve been getting “no internet connection” on my WiFi options screen, I still have access at normal speeds in spite of this message. Last night/early this AM I somehow burned through 28g of data, without touching the bonus data. That leaves @ a 5 hour window where that might have occurred. Ive located an unidentified MAC address, that was logged on during that period. I don’t know if the two issues are connected. All modem lights are on, system self test shows no error codes. I’ve recycled the router power and reset my passwords. The “no internet connection” message persists.

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I sometimes get the "no internet connection" message too, even though the internet works. Restarting the computer and/or the modem sometimes helps, but as long as there is actually an internet connection, I ignore the message.  

Not sure about the other stuff -- it's likely the mods will have to look into this tomorrow. 

I was also ignoring the message, until I watched the data disappear. I was concerned that one might be feeding the other…on the bright side, if the data got used, then I must’ve had internet connection!

maratsade

Oh yeah, I'd be concerned if data just vanished like that and there was nothing to justify it.  I'd do the same thing you did, change the passwords. 

EDIT: The Usage section at the top of this community's pages can show you how much data your connected devices have used in the past 24 hours and past week.  It might help. The specific page is here: https://my.hughesnet.com/en/usage/connecteddevices

To add onto what maratsade suggested, you can also use this guide to rule out the HughesNet modem as the source of your unknown data usage. Also, Glasswire is a 3rd party program folks have suggested in the past to determine which programs on a device are using data and how much.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

@Aztsgt ,

Re Glasswire (which Liz suggested): I would strongly recommend you install this free software in all your Windows devices.  For even more security features, you can buy a licence

You can also buy a router that monitors everything on your network, but those are pricey.

GabeU

@Aztsgt 

I 'third' the suggestion of Glasswire.  It's practically a 'must have' for those who have an ISP with a limited amount of data, or limited amount of high speed data in this case.  I'd advise installing it on every Windows computer you use with HughesNet, and there is a version for Android devices as well.  Both are free.  There is a paid version, but the free version is all you really need.

For reference, a few of the biggest possible unintentional users of data are...

1.  A Windows computer updating, but also possibly stuck in an update loop or even sharing updates though 'Delivery Optimization'.  The 'Delivery Optimization' setting should either be turned off or set to only computers on your network.

2.  Other devices trying to update, and again, possibly stuck in an update loop.

3.  A wireless printer 'phoning home' to the manufacturer's server, but having issues with doing so, so it keeps trying.

4.  A satellite TV receiver, and a DirecTV receiver especially, which can change to using your bandwidth for certain updates rather than downloading those updates through the DirecTV dish like it normally would.  Even if you never watch anything 'On Demand', a DirecTV receiver can chew through a lot of data, as in multiple GBs, in a relatively short amount of time.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Good morning Aztsgt, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. Hopefully the suggestions we've posted help. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!