No internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asmodeus1313
New Poster

No internet

We have had hughesnet for a decade or close to it. We are very used to running out of download and using the internet in "throttled" conditions. For the past month, instead of throttled or slowing down after our download runs out, we have zero internet. No new devices or routers. Nothing has changed on our end. Years of the same devices, and dealing with slow Internet, but now we get told by hughesnet customer support that it has to be the extra router we have, it has to be pulling too much bandwidth. Want a problem2 months ago. Want a problem6 months ago or years ago. Its just now a problem, so how is it our devices if there was zero issues for years? Once again, internet doesn't slow down, it stops. We get messages on our devices that connection lost the moment download runs out, or free time is over.

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Asmodeus1313 

Hopefully the reps will reply tomorrow.  If you don't normally do so, be sure to leave your modem plugged in so that they can run remote diagnostics on it if they deem it necessary.

Damian

@Asmodeus1313,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear this and I would like to assist you. Please private message me the phone number associated with your account and I will begin looking into this. 

-Damian 

GabeU

@Asmodeus1313 

Just in case, you can PM Damian either by clicking on his name and then clicking on 'Send a message' or by using this direct link to do the same.

I private messaged but no reply

GabeU

@Asmodeus1313 wrote:

I private messaged but no reply

It can take a while to receive a reply if one is needed.  Up to a day or more.  

@Asmodeus1313,

Thank you for providing me that info and I apologize for the delay. After running diagnostics on your account, it appears there are a couple of things that could be causing this issue. From what I can tell, the devices connected to the WiFi do not have a strong signal, which means they appear to be out of range for optimal signal and therefore you will be receiving reduced speeds on top of your already throttled speeds. I recommend using your devices a bit closer to the modem to see if there is a difference. I also see that for the past month, the weather in your area has been much more cloudy than normal, with some days of rain. This could explain why your service works fine some days, most likely when the sky is clear. It is true that satellite signals are susceptible to being interrupted during periods of adverse weather. Please test to see if you still experience these disconnects during clear days, while using your devices closer to either one of your routers. 

On a side note, because you are essentially using two routers in which both are broadcasting on the same frequencies, I recommend disabling the radio broadcasting in one of the routers. This may possibly provide a faster speed to your devices if there has been any mild interference taking place. If extending the signal range is why you are using another router, a WiFi extender may be a better option for you.    

-Damian