cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No line of sight FIVE YEARS AGO, installed gen 4 dish anyway!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Re: No line of sight FIVE YEARS AGO, installed gen 4 dish anyway!

@maratsade wrote:

@47robby wrote:

Hughesnet's "service" hasn't gotten worse over the years, it has ALWAYS been shoddy and spotty.  It's an issue that began at day one and has continued to this day.

It has actually improved considerably over the years, though clearly you are having issues with it. 

I long for the 4000 and 7000 days.

gokartergo24
Tutor

I install for Hughes.  This is how I feel about it. If the line of sight was good. I would use the Wild blue pole if it was done right. Do you really want to see Dishes and poles all over your yard. If there was NLOS. then yes. I would put in a new pole. At the time of install it has to pass OVT.  Onsite validation tool. It gets a average signal level in that area at the time of install.. You must meet or exceed that to go ahead.  If it does not pass OVT we do not get paid. So at the time of install.. It passed. Hughes guarantees Line of site for 6 months after install.  On the spotty service..  That is on you for not calling in for the last 5 years to get it fixed. There could be something else wrong with your service. But since there is No line of site now.. He couldn't tell. In this area we have a lot of Redwood trees.. They grow and average of 4 to 6 ft every year..  When I install in these areas.. I try to get at least a few years of growth for the customer. But that is not always possible.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I think my first modem was a 7000.  Before Hughes I had AOL, and of course Hughes was a huge improvement over dialup! There were some issues, especially with bad weather. Back then the signal didn't seem to like rain, wind, ice, or flurries. It has improved SO much since then, and continues to do so steadily.

maratsade

@gokartergo24, Will the dishes get small enough at some point that they could be mounted on a roof?

gokartergo24
Tutor

I'm just a installer not a engineer.  Most of my installs are on roofs.

maratsade

@gokartergo24 wrote:

I'm just a installer not a engineer.  Most of my installs are on roofs.

OK. I guess some dishes are installed on roofs, then. Thanks.

gokartergo24
Tutor

Better the 90% of our jobs are roof mounts. We just can't do Tile or metal roofs.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Got a ground pole mount when moved into new house and really happy I did. Like the easier access to everything. Can understand in some places the easier access could be a negative.

Was joking in the 4000/7000 comment above BTW.

gokartergo24
Tutor

Around here. We have a lot of problems with deer,cattle, horses and goats hitting the dish. For some reason deer jump up at the radio.. I've witnessed it. Guess they think it some kind of food.   Cattle and horses and goats. That's a placement issue. But not much can be done about the deer.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Can see where deer could be a problem. Mine is close enough to a pine tree that they probably stay away. Was also thinking younger children could be a problem although a low fence might work there.