Hughesnet Community

No service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sharonbubb

No service

I’ve had Hughes net for one week and tonight I can’t watch anything I call tech-support they say everything is fine I feel like I just wasted $500. Unfortunately I bought my equipment thinking I was going to be a long time customer. When I signed up my sales rep told me the service was great they had no issues with buffering I feel like that’s what they tell everybody. I’m incredibly angry.  There has to be something we can do.

1 REPLY 1
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Sharonbubb 

If you were promised a level of service during the sales call that you're not seeing, I would request a sales call review, which you can do here.  Depending on what's heard in the call, you may have recourse.  

As for the streaming, a couple of things you can try are lowering the resolution of the stream, whether at the source or with the app/program you're using, and/or turning off or snoozing the Video Data Saver.  Adjusting the VDS may help, especially if you are trying to stream in HD.  

While streaming can work with HughesNet, it can also be somewhat problematic at times due to the combination of the high latency that's inherent to geostationary satellite internet and system congestion, the latter of which tends to be more prevalent in the evenings, as that's when the highest number of people are online and, increasingly, trying to stream, which is a bandwidth heavy activity.  The streaming services seem to be sensitive to those two things, especially when combined, though to what degree can vary from service to service.

Also, keep in mind that streaming is a data heavy activity, especially if it's done in HD.  What I mean is, streaming can chew through your data very quickly, at upwards of 3GB per hour in HD, 700MB per hour in SD and 350MB per hour in LD.  These number are based on Netflix, but the other streaming services are fairly similar in their data usage.  

But again, if you were promised something in the sales call that's different from what you're experiencing, I would ask for that sales call review.

Lastly, the reps here can run remote diagnostics on your system to see if anything is amiss, but from the sound of it the phone rep may have done this.  Still, the reps here may want to check anyway.  If they do, they may need to get some personal information from you in order to locate your account, but they'll ask for it to be sent via private message for the sake of security, and they'll provide a link to do so.  Though Damian is sometimes on later in the evenings, the reps are normally on from around 9AM to 6PM EST.  They usually reply within a day.