No sound from YouTube videos - an ongoing issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mycatsadiva
Freshman

No sound from YouTube videos - an ongoing issue

We have been custy's since October, 2015 and until recently we have been happy with our service, but over the past two months we have had issues with getting internet videos of any kind to play sound or sometimes even load. To save data, I keep my video on the lowest possible settings which shouldn't affect sound; in fact, rarely do I have sound issues with videos in the wee hours of the morning: 5-7 am central time for example, but sadly, there are frequent issues with video sound and/or loading video content at night and most recently, even at 11 o'clock in the morning. I couldn't even load a 2 minute video for a work project this afternoon around 3 pm. As you all know, poor video quality dramatically lessens the internet experience and internet cost isn't cheap. Additionally, I am unable to attend webinars and conference calls required for my job. This is very discouraging and I would like some direction. I really don't want to change providers.

7 REPLIES 7
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hello mycatsadiva, the sound issue sounds more like a software or hardware issue, possibly both. Here is just one example of someone having the same issue after I did a quick search: No Sound Streaming

YouTube uses HTML5 and I found this same fix on several sites. Basically change playback setting to stereo versus 5.1: No sound YouTube

What OS are you using and is it up to date?

Thank you for the question. I have Windows 7. Updates are set to run automatically. Yesterday I did do a full system scan [command promt] for sfc /scannow and chkdsk to correct any potential issues. I have also run my maleware program to scan for viruses or spyware. I also did a network reboot just to make sure nothing got missed. I think my problem may be internet speed because after I made all the aforementioned scans I did have sound on my YouTube vid's yesterday, but right now it's 2:45 PM central time and I can barley get a YouTube video to load much less play any sound. I have gone to several other website with heavy streaming content like ESPN and I can't get anything to load. Web pages are fine, but any video content at the moment is impossible. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

mycatsadiva,

Have you run any speed tests to determine what kinds of speeds you are getting?  If not, it would probably be a good idea to see what your speeds are to determine if that may be a contributing factor to the problem.

The site requested to do speed tests is http://testmy.net/.  To keep a record of the speeds, it's requested that you sign up for an account at testmy.net and run the tests while signed into that account.  I'm not going to necessarily give the whole process that would normally be requested for speed problems as we don't even know if speed has anything to do with it.  But, at least when just checking your speeds, make sure to use a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER).  Use the 12MB manual file size for your download tests.  Upload tests aren't really needed at this point, but if you want to get an idea of that, too, use the 2MB size for the upload tests.  If you could run three download speed tests, each one spaced five minutes apart, that would give a decent idea of your speed at that point.  Again, this isn't the normal protocol to use when addressing speed issues, but only trying to see if speed may be an issue at all.  

When you've finished running a few tests, click on the Results tab and copy the address that's in the address bar and paste it on here.  It will look like the following, but with your testmy.net user name where my testmy.net user name is... http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972 .  This will enable the results to be looked at.  

If it's determined that you may be having speed problems, there's a somewhat more directed style of testing, but again, for right now, this is just to see if speed is even part of the problem. 

Thank you GabeU for the reply. I have an account at testmy.net. I will be running a series of tests today as I am having issues just trying to load this forum page. This is very frustrating. I am struggling to send a legal document to my lawyer this morning through Gmail and I cannot get it to load. I was unable to send it at all last night, so speed may well be an issue for both the upload and the download today. Please be advised that I will be away from my computer this week as I am being called out of town Tuesday for a few days and I will not leave my system on when out of state.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/mycatsadiva

Back in town. Results above. Thank you.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

You are getting pretty decent speeds, for the most part, so your sound issues most likely have nothing to do with that.  I do see that one very low one at 8:06PM, and a speed like that could certainly contribute to issues with buffering, but the other low speeds should still be enough to be able to play a lower definition video.  

If the info BirdDog gave doesn't help with the sound issues, you could try searching on forums for whatever browser you use, or even ask on said forums.  

The upload speeds, while not very fast, should still be enough to upload documents, and the download and upload speeds should certainly be enough to get Gmaiil to load and work properly.  

Perhaps you could try resetting your browser.  Keep in mind, though, resetting the browser will revert everything to default settings, so if you've changed any settings you would have to change them again.

Perhaps others might have some ideas.  

I don't know if changing your adapter's DNS settings to Google's might help.  It may be worth a try, though.   See the link below....  

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@mycatsadiva wrote:

http://testmy.net/quickstats/mycatsadiva

Back in town. Results above. Thank you.

I have no problem with streaming and audio at those speeds, including pretty slow upload speed. Still think you may have something else going on like I mentioned previously. Especially if streaming in lower definitions and still having issues.