No system light and reddish blue power light on on HT 1100

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duke_mabank
Sophomore

No system light and reddish blue power light on on HT 1100

I have had 9 months of trouble free service until the 15th of November when at about 7:00 am I noticed the system light was out on my HT 1100. Looking at the Diagnostics, it appears it went out after 11 pm the previous night. so after re-starting the modem several times, I thought maybe I got cut off completely since I was in FAP. and not a big deal, my data renews on the 19th.

From the beginning of all the modem re-starts, I noticed that the bottom power light was a reddish blueish color which I don't believe was ever like that before. It is only reddish blueish for 2-3 seconds and turns all blue once the modem has booted, but no system light.
On the morning of the 19th, I started my modem, I had made contact and had internet but at boot, the modem still had a reddish blueish power light.

I think I had service all that day maybe that night as well but since then it is hit and miss. Things I have tried.

Unplug from the 2160 joules surge protector and plug modem into the wall outlet.

Unplug the cat 5 from the router and plug directly in laptop.

Changed the 20 foot cat 5 to a 5 foot cat 5 and plug into the laptop.

Plugged the cat 5 into 2 other laptops

I've tried every combination I can think of, sometimes the system light comes on sometime not. Sometimes the system light comes on for a while but no internet. Then it goes out.

These are the codes I'm getting,  21.1.4 and 21.1.5

None of the connections on the back of the modem feel hot and the adapter is not hot, it is barely above room temp. All the outside cable and ground look good.
Where do we start troubleshooting?

27 REPLIES 27
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Where is the modem itself located, does it have enough ventilation around it? Some folks put it in too tight a space and it overheats. Needs at least 6 inches on sides and top I believe. The more the better.

Can try putting a fan on it just to see if it makes a difference.
duke_mabank
Sophomore

The modem is on the small table since day one and have not touched it after that day. I woke up at 3 am this morning and was trying various things until about 8:30 and went back to sleep. At some point, the modem must have come alive and started downloading tv shows to my tablet which I have setup to do between 2 am and 8 am. 

I would not have known that but I was just checking my usage history. Very Strange. OK, what can I check next?

BTW, I tried to get a photo of the red in the power light this morning but none of the lights made a good picture. This is right at boot time when all the lights come on for a moment.

Just like yesterday, the system light came on sometime after 1 pm today and I had internet. Last night around 10 pm I lost internet and the system light. Very strange.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Going to defer to the official reps who will be back in the morning. They can run remote tests, you could have a bad modem or some other equipment problem.
CommunityWorklo
New Poster

Looks like the LED light for the power just "freaked" out. I ran diagnostics and see that your dish is actually misaligned! I can get someone out there, but with Thanksgiving this week I am not sure when they can come out. We'll schedule something and I can provide you their phone number via email to call directly and ask about their hours.  If its a few days out that they can come, we'll credit your account accordingly.

Of course there is no charge for the realignment and visit. I'll make a note that they should also bring a replacement modem. We'll email you to your HughesNet email address 🙂

Thanks
Amanda

(edit: woops, I was testing some stuff and logged into the wrong account!)
duke_mabank
Sophomore

Thank you BirdDod and Thank you Amanda for quickly taking care of it, After Thanksgiving is fine. I will keep an eye on my Hughesnet email for any details. If it turns out to be misaligned, I will ask the technician/installer if there is a better place for the dish.  
Amanda

Hi Duke
I was waiting to see if I could get a newer number, but don't want to wait too long. I've emailed you with the most recent number we have for the tech. I was able to get a scheduled day for Friday between 11AM-2PM. Hopefully it is not a fluke on the scheduler and they are actually open.

Thanks
Amanda
duke_mabank
Sophomore

I received a text from AllPro in Gun Barrel City at 2 pm but didn't hear the notification on my phone so I will call them Friday morning and confirm. Thank you Amanda
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

duke,

Normally, with a misalignment they just have to realign the dish itself and tighten down all of the bolts and such that hold the alignment.  Sometimes, especially if you are in a windy area, the dish can get a little out of whack, so to speak, in it's pointing.   It's not usually necessary to reinstall the dish at another location, though, of course, this would be up to the installer if it needs to be. 

Hopefully your realignment will be a simple procedure and get you back up and running normally in no time.

I just realized my last sentenced sounds like surgery or something.   LOL. 

duke_mabank
Sophomore

GabeU,
I'm thinking of a backup plan if the dish gets out of alignment again. Maybe cement a 4 x 4 or pole  eight or ten foot high into the ground to get it off the roof

This mobile home sits on cider blocks on the ground. Weather conditions such as rain, hot and cold seasons cause this mobile home to shift small amounts. I can tell when this is happening because doors sometimes stick a little sometimes not. And of course at night when everything is quiet I can hear it creak.

You may be able to answer this, I will ask the installer also. How much movement will cause the dish to become misaligned?
knerkin2
Freshman

We've got 4 dishes in our installation, all of them on steel posts submersed in concrete. To us, it's worth whatever additional cost to have a stable dish platform. We're in upstate New York, not too far from Gabe, and it gets bloody windy here. We've never had a dish get out of alignment. One less thing to worry about.

It doesn't take much movement to take out your connection. Just think of that tiny spot 22,000 miles away; not much of an angular movement to make that spot disappear.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

duke,

I really don't know how much movement it takes to have the dish become misaligned, but it's almost assuredly not much.   With a mobile home I can see it happening pretty easily due to adverse weather conditions, or even like you said, just the changes in temperature due to things expanding and contracting. 

Is a normal pole installation possible for you or would it not be high enough to clear obstacles?  They mounted my original legacy plan dish on a pole they installed, then mounted my Gen4 dish on the same when I upgraded.  They did a fantastic job of setting the pole and it has never gone out of alignment in twelve years, even with the wind and snowstorms that we get rolling off of Lake Erie.   

duke_mabank
Sophomore

I pity the people who will read this, this is the kind of crap that makes my eyes glaze over.

The Hughesnet installer came out yesterday afternoon. I took the advice about putting the dish on a metal pole and asked Jake(not his real name) about it. He said yeah, he does that all the time and has everything with him. Quick drying cement, pole and post hole digger. So that is what he did, aligned it and it didn't take more than 20 minutes.So then we went inside and I showed him the reddish blue power light that comes on when you first turn the modem on and all the lights are on for that couple of seconds. He said he sees that all the time and it's normal. "That is just the red light next to the blue light."

I said, I realize that but I never saw it in all the times I have re-started the modem in the past 9 months until I started to have problems with the system light going out.
Jake and I got along great until this point and it got a bit heated. He said he couldn't give me a new modem because that was normal. Later I found out from him that it probably isn't new but reman'd. Which is fine, I have no problem with that.

So I said, look..in the user guide it said....."WHAT, what user guide" said Jake. I said the user guide I found online yesterday. He said "I've never seen a user guide so I showed it to him."

POWER: Red color indicates an alarm. It doesn't say briefly red or flashing red, just red.

He did replace the modem. We both did speed tests on the existing modem and the newer replacement. For me, on 2 different computers, a win 7 laptop and on an XP  laptop. Testmy.net, dslReports, and Speedtest.net, I tried them all. At 3 pm I was getting real great download 34 Mbps and 300-350 Kbps upload. Not so great.

Jake was doing his with an app on his phone from Speedtest.net. He thought 300-350 up was just fine. And I was getting twice the advertised speed down so heck, split the difference.
OK Jake
Look, Jake is a good had working guy. He has an xbox, smart phone that he needs to install with and an email address. That's it, he doesn't do computers and in my opinion better off for it.

This morning at 6 am the speed was better
Download :: 33.9 Mbps 4.2 MB/s  up arrow Upload :: 584

Forgetting about speed for the moment, if someone...anyone would please re start their 1100 modem and tell me the color of their power light in the first few seconds. Is there any red at all. Please let me know so I can stop sniveling about it. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Either completely off or blue here.

duke_mabank
Sophomore

Thank you Gwalk900
knerkin2
Freshman

At power up, goes directly to blue here. HT1100. Also checked the HT1000; same.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

All blue here also.

As far as speed goes both download speeds you posted are excellent, way above "up to" speed. And to be honest on the upload speed, they tweak the system for faster download as that is what the majority want. I see upload speeds the same as you posted frequently. 
duke_mabank
Sophomore

I'm glad you told me that because  I have not noticed a difference. If anything my browser pages are loading faster so far. As long as the browser and the TV files I download while sleeping have what they need.
Knerkin2, thank you for doing the power up test. 
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Mine shows reddish blue at startup for 2to3 seconds.
duke_mabank
Sophomore

Thanks Reggie, that is what mine does and what I forgot to mention was that the replacement modem power light is reddish blue at startup. As long as it keeps working like it is now, I won't worry about it.
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I have no issues with mine.