Hughesnet Community

Not a concern, but more of a curiosity. Difference between Status Meter and Glasswire....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Not a concern, but more of a curiosity. Difference between Status Meter and Glasswire....

Glasswire shows nearly three times what the Hughesnet Status Meter does.  Is the considerable difference due to compression?   

15 REPLIES 15
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Don't know about Glasswire but there is a difference with what my router reports and what the meter does, most likely due to the compression. Yesterday I show about a 25 MB difference between the two. It will add up over an entire month.

GabeU

Interesting.  The above difference was from the past three days.  When I did the Anniversary updates on all three computers I noticed the two were vastly different for that thirty day period.  Many GBs. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I take that back, I forgot to add in the Status Meter upload so my router and the Status meter are pretty close.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I'm on my tablet so I'm a little limited here but ......

Glasswire is showing 16.1 MB that is "local" that means ... inter LAN for lack of a better term. Local traffic needs to be excluded

Next item is ... I wish I had my graphics here to show the location of the GW " measure point" vs the modems "toll road" measure point.
Hughes will compress file data whenever it can. Rather like dehydration.
The gateway compresses the required file, transmits it, it is received by the modem that uncompresses it and "charges" you the compressed price .. the uncompressed data then crosses the Glasswire "measure point" at the start of the opetating system and reports the larger amount.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Danged Dog beat me again !
GabeU

Now this is interesting.  If I go by the usage history on my status meter, it's 438MB on 9/6, 415 on 9/5 and 806 on 9/4.  I'm assuming that the actual line for those dates represents the total for the 24 hours of that date.  If this is the case, then the "front" of the Status Meter doesn't correspond with what the usage history says, and today isn't even on the usage history yet.  That's 1659MB for those three days (9/4, 9/5 and 9/6 in the usage history).  Hmmm.  So, again, the usage history doesn't match what the "front" of the status meter says I have used, which is now adding up to 688MB between the Anytime and Bonus.  Ugh. 

I'm certainly glad that I don't really need to figure out just what is going on as I never use more than what I have.  LOL. 

GabeU

My local is only 16.4MB, so a drop in the bucket, but the more I look at the differences between the usage history on the HSM and the front part of the meter, the more confused I get.  It doesn't match AT ALL.  You'd figure Hughesnet would match Hughesnet.  LOL. 

Does that legacy usage history site still work?  Do you know what the address is? 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Makes sense since my router is measuring up and down directly from the modem it is seeing just what is ultimately compressed.
GabeU

When I add up 9/4, 9/5 and 9/6 in the usage history, it's way over what the front of the Status Meter says I've used, combined.  Right now it's 688MB for the front of the meter, and 1659MB in the usage history, and that's not even including today's data yet.  I'm perplexed. 

Why, oh why, did I open this can of worms? 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Gross vs net.
What was "charged" against your allowance ?
GabeU

No doubt.  You can trust your router.  I, on the other hand, don't have that available.  I was curious about the Glasswire vs Hughesnet, but now that I've looked further, I'm much more interested in the Hughesnet vs Hughesnet difference.  Again, though, I'm glad I'm not trying to figure this out due to there being some type of data usage problem or something.  It's actually more comical than anything.  In the end, I go by what the front of the status meter says before anything else, and if it says 688MB combined since 12AM on the 4th, then that's what I'll trust.  That, at least, always matches what the SCC and the sign in page show.  Looking at the breakdown is something I should avoid and try not to reconcile.  It might give me a headache trying to figure out why it's different.

Interestingly enough, though, the usage history matches Glasswire, for the most part.  But again, I'll go by the "front" of the meter.  It's what I always have, and ultimately what Hughesnet goes by, too.     

GabeU

Maybe.  I'm not really sure.  But, like I mentioned in a post up the page, I'll ultimately worry most about what the usage says on the "front" of the meter, which matches the SCC and the sign on page.  That's what Hughesnet goes by when determining your usage, so the breakdown shouldn't matter. 

But, with that said, even if Glasswire doesn't match what Hughesnet says is my total usage thus far for the month, it's still a great tool to use if I ever have some unexplained rise in data usage. 

Maybe the total usage, as in the front of the meter, the SCC and the sign on page is the actual data usage, and the Hughesnet usage history and Glasswire are the uncompressed data throughput, or what it would be if not compressed?  Hmmm. 

Old Labs

FWIW, Glasswire does have some issues with regard to its interpretation of "local" vs "external" traffic particularly with regard to IPV6 traffic on your local network being seen as "external" - there is even some IPV4 local network traffic that's included in "external". Another issue has to do with using VPN - VPN uses a virtual network adapter and data is counted twice - once for the virtual adapter and once for the physical adapter (typically the total physical traffic is attributed to the VPN client when using VPN). I think the discrepancy is a result of their initial emphasis on firewall/security functionality rather than usage counts. 

So in effect "external" is not the same as WAN traffic but they're working on it supposedly - like many I simply use it to determine when and where data is going and to/by whom.

When bypassing my router and connecting directly to the modem (the other guys), it's within a reasonable margin of error accounting for compression. 

P.S. IMHO, Glasswire would do better to simply expose the database structure they use and let others offer reporting features since everyone wants to analyze the data differently - it appears to be MySQL but is encrypted.    
Amanda

Hi 

Simplest answer I can give.. From what I know, we will always record your usage data, but due to compression and some stuff related to overhead (things we just don't charge as data, period) it won't always match what (like Gwalk said) is "charged" to your actual allowance. 

Question to those of you with Win10 - have you ever taken a peek at your Resource Monitor from task manager and watched your Network activity? 

Amanda
GabeU

Old Labs,

With regard to this particular instance, my setup is pretty simple.  A desktop and the modem.  No router. 

In the end, though, all I really care about is what my overall usage is, according to Hughesnet, so I just use one of the three ways of looking at it for that.  I normally don't bother looking at the usage history breakdown, nor Glasswire itself.  I keep Glasswire for the sole reason of being able to see what is going on if, in the future, I have an instance of high data usage.  At least I will be able to get some idea of what it is doing it. 

I just found it interesting that the Hughesnet data usage, the Hughesnet usage history breakdown and Glasswire are all so different from each other.  Again, though, all that matters is what the "front" of the Status Meter says, and by that, I'm in great shape.