cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to download anything only sporadic downloads

Not able to download anything only sporadic downloads

We have had Hughes net for  little over a month. We are in a rural area and I originally got it so that I could update my computer to Windows 10, upgrade our kids xbox, and watch demand tv on direct tv. We have no download speed at all. I babysat my computer for THREE days and windows 10 was at 30% downloaded when the power went out. Updating the xbox is a stand still. Surfing the web is horrible and I actually had to connect to my cellular service just to get the Hughes Net website to work. We can watch tv on demand but nothing else really works. Is this what we should expect? If so I am just gonna pay to get out because this is horrible.
26 REPLIES 26
Assistant Professor

Re: Not able to download anything only sporadic downloads

Go here and look at the two boxes at the top, they should be green: http://192.168.0.1/
If red you are probably over your data allowance (FAP mode) or something else is wrong.

What you describe you are doing is expecting way too much from a capped data system. Demand TV alone will use all your data very quickly. What plan do you have?

Is like cell phone data. Would you watch on demand TV over your cell phone, upgrade Xbox, update to Windows 10? There is Bonus bytes (2-8AM) for doing some of those things.

Why satellite? Do you have other internet options?
Assistant Professor

PS: I could switch to 4G LTE with AT&T and this is what it would cost me compared to the Hughes 50/50 Ultra plan:

My only other option, think I'll stay with HughesNet compared to $375/month for 50 GB.

sgoshe

Data Allowance Status I have 49.8 of 50gb remaining. So data is not the issue.

I am not expecting to much. With nothing else operating, I cannot download Windows 10. I have tried this on two different computers. I am aware that my kids are not going to be able to play xbox online with Hughs net but no different then Windows 10 they should be able to update a game or the system itself.

We have Century Link Extended DSL. We can download a movie with this and it takes about 36 hours. Our other options are AT&T cell phone service or dial up. You have determined what I already had that the cost/gain to using cell phone service to download is not an option.

I originally wrote "We have no download speed at all. I babysat my computer for THREE days and windows 10 was at 30% downloaded when the power went out. Updating the xbox is a stand still. Surfing the web is horrible and I actually had to connect to my cellular service just to get the Hughes Net website to work. We can watch tv on demand but nothing else really works."

So lets start with the simplest thing here. I ATTEMPTED TO DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 ON HUGHESNET. AFTER 3 DAYS THE DOWNLOAD WAS AT 30%. THE DOWNLOAD ON HUGHES NET STOPS ABOUT EVERY TEN MINUTES OR SO AND I HAVE TO START THE DOWNLOAD OVER. AFTER THREE DAYS OF THIS ON HUGHES NET WINDOWS 10 DOWNLOAD WAS AT 30%.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DATA. I HAVE NOT USED HARDLY ANY DATA IN THE OVER THIRTY DAYS I HAVE HAD HUGHESNET

I am no rocket scientist or a computer engineer but if everything is working I would think that Windows 10 would download in less then an hour and I shouldn't have to restart the download every ten minutes.

I have called Hughesnet and they tell me that everything appears to be working in the system and the last person I spoke to told me I did not know how to operate a computer.

Any help that does not involve how much data I may or may not have used would be appreciated. Like I said, I have 49.8 of 50gb still unused with 21 days left in the billing cycle.

Thanks

Assistant Professor

Run this speed test a couple times and post results.  http://www.att.com/speedtest/

For the Hughesnet I have an Amped Wireless Router. This Broadcasts two different signals. I have a Hughesnet Amped Tapr2_5.0 Signal and a Amped Tapr2_2.4 I believe the 5.0 and 2.4 are ghz signal.

I also have a wireless router signal for the Century Link that is seperate

And a wireless signal for my cell phone when I turn on the hotspot through AT&T 4g

Hughesnet First Try (Amped 2.4) = Timed Out Test A Failure

Hughesnet Second Try (Amped 2.4) = Page had to be refreshed two times to get it to load then--- Timed Out but was reading 0.12mbps download when it timed out

Hughesnet Third Try ( Amped 2.4) = Had to refresh the page several times to get the page to come up then---- Timed Out with no results

Hughesnet First Try (Amped 5.0) = Timed Out but was reading 17.5 download when it timed out

****Hughesnet Second Try (Amped 5.0) = Worked first time with 17.79 download and .86 upload speed.

Hughesnet Third Try (Amped 5.0) = 19.31mbps and was at .84 upload but the page timed out.

Hughesnet Fourth Try (Amped 5.0) = Had to refresh the page twice and the page timed out before the test was complete.

Century Link Extended DSL First Try = Download 0.38mbps upload 0.13mbps

AT&T 4g Hotspot from my phone = Download 3.4mbps upload 1.03mbs

**** This is the only Hughesnet attempted that completed

Since preforming the above tests and the Amped 5.0 showing the most promise I have attempted to run the test another 10+ times on the 5.0 and all of them have timed out and not completed.

Since that last post I started the windows update again. It says it is 2,613.7mb in size it is 2:32pm my time and indicates the files are downloading with 0% complete. I will keep you updated.

At approximately 2:50 the download stopped with an error at 1%. I have restarted it Can anyone see my pain yet.

3:10 and the download after restarting is at 1%