Hughesnet Community

Not enough bandwidth to stream Amazon Prime, or Hulu. I agree.., "Smoke Signals R Faster."

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mysat1

Not enough bandwidth to stream Amazon Prime, or Hulu. I agree.., "Smoke Signals R Faster."

Not enough bandwidth to stream Amazon Prime, or Hulu. I agree.., "Smoke Signals R Faster." Rural customers suffer big time. Between Verizon, HughesNet, Dish, HuIu and Amazon Prime, I pay $425 per month for poor, sub-standard bandwidth, redundant or infomercials programming to drop calls and stagnant internet speeds.  This treatment is nothing more than "Legal Robbery, without a gun," by these providers. 
15 REPLIES 15
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Satellite internet is not a replacement for cable internet, cable TV, or satellite TV and premium channels when it comes watching video. Last I checked Amazon Prime doesn't allow setting streamed definition, it streams anything from HD to SD depending what they have the content coded in.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

For what are you paying $425 per month? 

If you would like help with your speed problems, do the following.  Head to http://testmy.net/ and create an account.  While signed into that account, and with a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, run three to five manual 12MB download tests.  Space the tests at least five minutes apart.  Run a batch of three to five tests a few times a day, preferably in the morning, afternoon and evening, if you are able.  When you've run some tests, please post your results page URL.

For the time being, you could just run a couple of tests using that criteria and post the results, by either posting a link to the results or posting a snapshot of the results.  Or, better yet, again, the Results Page URL.  It's important to create the account so the tests are saved in a single location, which helps in determining patterns and such.     

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

mysat1 said they have Dish so don't know why so much streaming to begin with. I'm confused by the entire post. Maybe using the HughesNet to on demand and record things. I don't know, some of these posts leave me confused what the person is trying to do. Sounds to me like constantly in FAP from expecting too much from the satellite internet.
GabeU

True.  I was just amazed at so much for, with the exception of a cell phone, entertainment.  It is a little odd combining everything into the complaint, when the rest has absolutely nothing to do with Hughesnet.  For me, with DirecTV, I have no need to stream anything.  I can only watch so much TV before my brain will turn to mush. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yep, no satellite TV just OTA TV and the bit of streaming we do is plenty. Agree on the mush part.
GabeU

BirdDog,

I meant to tell you, the day after you and I were discussing those really good antennas you can get, I dug out an old indoor antenna that is powered and hooked it up to my TV.  I actually got six more channels that I do with my old house type antenna on my 25 or 30 foot pole.  It's crazy!  I can't use it all the time, though, until I can get a coax extension as right now I don't have anywhere right near the TV to put it.  It's so odd that I can get more channels with it that with my house antenna.  I'm sure one of those antennas you mentioned would be even better, but for the time being it will be better than what I presently use. 

Amanda

Hello mysat1

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. We absolutely agree with BirdDog's first post that satellite internet is not a replacement for your regular TV provider, meaning "cord cutting" is not something you can expect to do with HughesNet. 

Your actual system looks just fine, in fact you have almost run out of data allowance for the month. This tells me that the service is working just fine, in fact so well that you've used the majority of the allotted data.

We see this complaint all too often of poor service, speeds, so on - just about anything. It's something that generally becomes high priority for a customer who is or has exceeded their allowance. 

We've had 2 calls from you since you signed up in June - once in July and once this month. The one is July was unrelated to "not enough bandwidth" or troubles with Amazon Prime, so I have to assume this is a new issue you've never had before, right?

Here's a screenshot of your data usage. I've outlined your current allowance cycle in green. There was close to 14GB used just the day after your allowance refreshed. Keep in mind though the other lines may be lower, some represent total daily usage of 500 and 700MB +

Amanda
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

I'm also completely confused by this post. The OP is complaining that she spends $425 a month on watching TV? Her Hughesnet isn't $425 a month. Amazon Prime costs $99 a year, and they have over 100,000 movies and TV shows you can watch free. I get Prime more for the free two day shipping, though. Well, I get the student rate so it might be a bit more. But that has nothing to do with Hughesnet, so I'm curious as to why she's complaining about Amazon, Verizon, Dish, and Hulu.

Bird Dog, you are right about not being able to set the definition for Prime. You get what you get. However, for movies you buy or rent, you can set them to SD (nothing lower). My daughter and I watched the new Star Trek movie yesterday on Amazon. We had no trouble streaming it and in SD it didn't use that much data.

If the OP has Verizon, I'm assuming for a cellphone, she could watch her programs using that instead of using her Hughesnet service. She can connect her phone or tablet to her TV for a bigger screen. Of course, Verizon is also a metered service and extra GBs are much more expensive to buy from Verizon than they are from Hughesnet, but she may get better streaming quality.

GabeU, I agree the MS updates haven't taken as much data as I feared. Even the anniversary update, which I installed with about six other updates, only took 0.5GB. But it did take four hours. And 0.5GB is still something I don't want to spend out of my anytime allowance. The cloud, syncing, auto play, and auto refresh take a LOT of data, as does all the snooping and sharing MS does. I suspect Cortana may use a fair amount of data; I turned it off without ever using it.

I suspect any Hughesnet subscribers who get Amazon's new Echo thing will be in for quite the data surprise. You're supposed to buy "Echodots" and stick them all over your house. It's all 100% voice command and runs your whole house--TV, music, thermostat, lights, security, and a whole host of other stuff and answers random questions ala Siri et al. Sounds kinda neat but I don't see how it could work with a metered service and it's not cheap. Guess I'm stuck flipping my own light switches, haha! For the folks who want TV/movies on demand 24/7, it hooks into Roku and such devices, Hulu, Netflix, etc., Amazon fire TV.

I'm not much of a TV watcher myself. We have Direct TV only because my daughter pays for it. I enjoyed the Seahawks game last night, and we'll have the TV on today for election coverage, but I've gone years without a TV and never missed it. Give me a good book any day! And NPR. GabeU, I'm a fan of the indoor antenna. I'm loathe to put anything on my roof, and the newer antennas are amazing! If Joy didn't need her ESPN, lol, we wouldn't need Direct TV at all.

Our viewing costs are $45 a month for Direct TV, which is NOT connected to our Hughesnet, plus the occasional movie we rent or buy. Usually we check out movies at the library so they're free and dvds don't use any data, lol! Yesterday we rented Star Trek Beyond from Amazon in SD for $3.99. That's the first movie we've paid for in about six months, I think.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The new digital OTA signals are a strange beast. Not surprised on the antenna thing, that antenna I showed awhile back is much smaller than my old analog antennas plus gets more channels.

I have it mounted on the post under the deck. I don't like junk on the roof, same as Chewagirl said below. Pretty unobtrusive where it's at.
GabeU

I only have the home TV antenna due to it being installed a long time before I moved in, but it's actually installed on a tall pole that's attached to the back of the house with C-clamp sort of things.  The pole is attached in such a way that it's loose enough for me to turn it with channel locks or something like that, but snug enough that only the strongest gust of wind will blow the antenna out of the alignment I set. 

If the inside antenna continues to get better reception, I may just decide to take the outside antenna down, although it's not hurting anything by being there and it's always there as a backup.

mysat1

To "Chewagirl.  Maybe u should try reading more carefully, or slower if comprehension is a problem. By the way, I'm a dude.  If you were a rural customer, you would understand.  Sidebar:  That's why Trump won the election. Rural communities have been getting the shaft far too long by these telecommunications companies and multimedia oligarchies.   By the way. HughesNet never bothered contacting me about bandwidth issues.
GabeU

mysat1,

Rather than belittling someone for them not reading your post the way you would have liked them to, try making the post relevant and on point.   You are angry at Hughesnet because you pay $425 for five services that don't perform the way you would like them to?  This is Hughesnet's fault?  Please do explain.  Also, what do infomercials have to do with Hughesnet?

If she were a rural customer she would understand?  Do you see city people signing up with Hughesnet?     

As explained, Hughesnet is not land based broadband.  Perhaps you should have done a little more research before you signed up for a service with a data cap and expecting that service to provide data for two streaming services, plus whatever else you are streaming not using those services. 

Lastly, leave politics out of it.  This is not the place for that nonsense. 

By the way. HughesNet never bothered contacting me about bandwidth issues.
Maybe YOU should read more carefully, like to the response from Amanda, who happens to be a Hughesnet Rep.  I also outlined the first step you need to take in addressing speed issues.  Where are the test results?  I don't see them. 
mysat1

I was hoping to dump Dish or at least cut my bill in half. However, after reading your "cut the cord comment," that option is off the table.  My granddaughter mostly uses HughesNet on her smartphone, because she runs through my data on Verizon's "4G broadband service," within ten days. Anyway, I notice the usage spike on your graph. So, is that just after my data has been reset? If so, then is it not true, that there is a difference in bandwidth from standard allotted data and Bonus data?  In other words, is data being "throttled down" when the standard allotted data has been used?
GabeU

If your Anytime Data is depleted, but you still have Bonus Bytes left, data is throttled only during the Anytime Data period, not during the Bonus Bytes period. 
mysat1

ok. Thanks.  I live in rolling hills terrain, of a rural area in Northeast, TN.  I have a teenage grandchild that lives with me.  So, I decided to purchase a HughesNet package for her, because she goes through data like "wildfire." We have a family anytime 4g Broadband 30G share plan through Verizon.  The Verizon service where I live is 3G at best (monthly $226) We also have Dish 200 ($103 monthly) Dish, Direct and Infinity is probably the worst T.V. entertainment value for the dollar (my opinion) But, got 2 have it, because of wife and grandchildren. I was hoping to dump dish altogether, because, I bought Hulu premium (7.99/mo.) and Amazon Prime (8.25/mo.). Use my leftover data to stream movies in lower resolution, every so often.