Hughesnet Community

Not right!?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnneBiddle

Not right!?

Changed to Hughes Net a few months ago and have really been relatively pleased with it.  We live in a remote area of Maine and satellite is our only option.  Due to my own stupidity (on demand TV!) we used up all our allowed 50GB early and are on slowed speeds.  (Have to say that when I chose the 100GB package it was not explained to me that it actually isn't 100 it's 50GB and 50GB between 2.00 and 8.00 am!!!) We have had this happen before and still been able to do everything really except stream videos.  It started off fine but nowthe speed is excruciatingly slow and even though you say we will be able to access email and surf we are really struggling with a speed test showing .05 download speed! This doesn't seem right?
21 REPLIES 21
Chris11
Alum

Hello Anne,

Welcome to the community! We appreciate the post today, hopefully we can resolve this for you. Just a quick question. Are you saying without data you've previously been able to do a good amount but stream video, but now in the same circumstance it's worse?

If so, even with data on a satellite connection performance fluctuates. There are many factors that can be at play. Could be weather where you are, or at your gateway location. Also, depends on how many devices are connected to the network while there is no data allowance left. Have you added any new devices recently? Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
Ronnie Imel

OK,,,,, so you say, I referred a neighbor and he has been very unhappy, I sent your company his name and phone number. I was very embarrassed to have referred him with all these problems. First your installers did not show up for days after scheduling, then they put the satellite up where he did not want it, then the system did not work, then the phone did not work. The speed of the internet was less he says than it was before. 
I have had several problems myself. Just having trouble understanding all the problems.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Ronnie, really best to continue in your original post if you require further help: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/hughesnet-did-not-tell-me-the-phone-line-would-no...
AnneBiddle

Beautiful day here Hot and sunny not a cloud in the sky! Only hubby and I here so no heavy useage
AnneBiddle

To clarify been over data allowance for days and it's worked okay, slow but not horrendous. As first post just unable to stream etc. Today - awful and nothing has changed device wise
AnneBiddle

Still dreadful today? Can't even download my mail let alone surf anything. Even facebook is struggling.Is there anything you can do?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

When you deplete all of your data allowance you can expect speeds to be throttled to around 150 Kbps (about 3X dialup speed).

All Gen4 plans now offer the SmartBrowse feature that allows for near uninterrupted speeds if that type of activity is "low demand" ... no streaming, no large attachments.

It very well may be that you have an unknown background process running that is kicking you out of "SmartBrowse" and into FAP.

You can check to see if SmartBrowse is active by opening the Download Status Meter and see if the SmartBrowse "light" is active:

You can also purchase blocks of data known as "Tokens" by clicking on the "Purchase Tokens" button on the upper right of the Status Meter. That will offer the following options:

In the event you decide to purchase Token Data please post back here in the Community so we can show you how to "use" a token after purchase so the that data amount is transferred to your "Token Bucket".

AnneBiddle

The light is not lit  Please explain how I can get it working?  Thank goodness you are better than your chat support which were useless.
AnneBiddle

Can I even get smart browsing?
AnneBiddle

I cannot see anything running in the background.  I am aware of the issues of going over data allowance and we have been out of data allowance for a week or longer and it has been fine.  Now I can't even get emails.  Please help! Oh and I tried to run a speed test and it stuck at 89%
Chris11
Alum

Hi Anne,

Can you post a recent case number or your modem serial? I'll be able to locate your account with it and see what plan you are subscribed to and verify the smart browsing. 

Thanks,
Chris
AnneBiddle

I am out and about right now. No case number. On the ultra plan 100gb Expensive but the most you do.
AnneBiddle

Serial number rzkd2g2021496
Chris11
Alum

Hi Anne,

That serial number doesn't seem to be the correct one. It should look something like this #B3 XXXXXXXXXX where the X's are should be numbers. Usually starting with zero's.

- Chris
AnneBiddle

Sorry that would be the wifi modem. B30011055627A8
AnneBiddle

Please stop hijacking my issue. It would be appreciated if you would stick to your own post. Thank you
Chris11
Alum

Hello Anne,

Thanks for posting with your serial number. The plan your subscribed to is our top of the line Ultra plan, so smart browsing is definitely a feature included. I see on your account that you contacted our chat support today? Looks like you should receive a call from a supervisor soon. Please let me know if you do. For the most part smart browsing should be working with or without it lit up in the status meter. What I would try to do is, power cycle the modem. Power down and restart the computer and see if the status meter now shows it. 

- Chris
AnneBiddle

I've had no phonecall and they were useless   I have powered the modem down several times yesterday and it did not light up Today my email is loading again so that is a huge improvement.  Wonder if someone tweaked something your end? We definitely  were having issues the last two days but it has improved today, which considering the change in the weather (low cloud and rainy from bright sunshine!) is surprising. Very odd.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Anne,

Glad that you do see an improvement. Most instances like this are temporary. There are many factors that could cause it. You mentioned power cycling the modem, did you also do the same for the computer?

- Chris
AnneBiddle

Hi Chris  Yes both laptops and swept again for viruses and malware