cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not so much a question as a comment.....

Not so much a question as a comment.....

Not so much a question as a comment.....The data sucks!! When I called to set up my account I told the guy I have 4 teeneagers,3 Younger children,directv,and multiple devices to hook up to the internet and he assured me several times that the 50 gig plan for $99.99 a month would be mopre than enough data!!! hahaha I run out of data within the first 2 weeks every month and that is without hooking up any game systems,directv,or cell phones!!!
7 REPLIES 7
Sophomore

Re: Not so much a question as a comment.....

I get the sense their reps are told to encourage the smaller plans.  It's all funneled thru a satellite, so perhaps it's better business to have a larger user base with smaller plans than it is to have a smaller user base with larger plans.  Not sure.  In any event, just switch to the larger plan.  You can do so at any time and there is no penalty.  Also, it's worth noting, your family is an unquestionable data hog.  Seven kids and you use your internet for television?  Good luck finding *any* wireless provider who can give you the kind of data you need.  You'll either hit a cap, or pay thru the nose for additional data at slower speeds.  That's the case in my own area at least.  You might actually want to consider TWO plans, from TWO different providers.  Bottom line, what you're asking for is very unrealistic and I have serious doubts HughesNet is your problem.  Honestly, have fewer kids.
Associate Professor

Assistant Professor

Seven kids plus two adults using it. Good luck is all I can say. Reigning in the kids maybe? That is my only solution to your problem. Sorry.  Smiley Sad
Assistant Professor

Kids are not known for doing much of anything responsibly. No matter how much the parents think they are just sweet little angels.
Advanced Tutor

Try Verizon MiFi. You can get 100 GB/mo. for only $720/mo + $15/GB excess usage charge if you go over. (not including the device you'll need)

http://www.whistleout.com/Tablets/Plans/Verizon-Wireless/Personal/Verizon-Wireless-100GB-More-Everyt...
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Advanced Tutor

Median usage per month by Comcast XFinity (Cable) Users = 40GB/mo.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-average-network-usage
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Alum

Hi hallowell,

Thanks for posting. The rep you spoke to was correct in advising you to get our Ultra plan, which is the best plan we offer. Some areas do not even have it available. What I suggest is that you try to better manage your data. You can still do the things you love just make sure you are aware of how much data some of these activities use. 

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Another great tool you can use is called Glasswire. When installed on a windows machine it will track and let you know what programs are using data and how much. So if there are background services eating up data without your knowledge you can get an idea of what can be adjusted or stopped.

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,
Chris