Hughesnet Community

Not sure how much worse it can get...;))

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dzutant

Not sure how much worse it can get...;))

I signed up for the most data I could get. Which I am more than willing to pay for. Last month my bill was about $300. This month, I think it's at about $350. No, we do not constantly stream. We do not play online games. I live in a rural area and nobody has access to my Internet. Nobody is stealing my Internet. I have probably spent about five hours on the phone, trying to get a technician out here to do one simple thing. Just one simple thing. See, I do not have phone service at my house. So when I am trying to deal with a situation, I have to drive 5 miles down the road to do it. So it's not like I can be on the phone with the technician and be in front of my router. So, Hughes net graciously gave me a free technicians visit. I spoke to two people at their subcontractors office... Florida Totalcom. I gave them very very simple instructions. I told them that my house was very very hard to find, and to have the tech TEXT me. I gave them one number. I told them, please do not call. All I can receive are text messages. Pretty simple, right? Well, apparently it's not so simple. They called every other number than what I told them to text. Remind you, I even heard the lady type it into the computer. So I know she had the proper # There is one phone number. And I made sure to tell her that it was TEXT ONLY. Apparently, that was too difficult for them to figure out. So, the bottom line is, I have spent approximately five hours on the phone to try to get something done which would probably take about 10 minutes. I am about ready to pay the cancellation fee. I would rather have no internet, than deal with this utter nonsense. And we only have one vehicle in our household. So it's not like I'm going to walk 5 miles down the road to make one damn phone call. And on top of it, the woman I spoke to from the subcontractor, Florida Telcom, got snippy with me. Which use made things even better.

I swear.... if I didn't need my daily news.... I'd GLADLY pat the disconnect fee. I have never in my LIFE experienced this kind of runaround.
27 REPLIES 27
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

So what are the people you have talked to suggesting is using the data? 
dzutant

They have no idea. All I'm trying to do is change the password on my router... that's it. Simple. And see if some unknown thing is draining it. But I didn't realize I had to be an IT tech to use hughesnet. My bill has gone up from $100 a month to now $350 a month. He was going to just check things out, and change my password. That's all. Our personal usage has not changed. I have no idea how to change my darn password. They even provided me with a free technician. And they can't even get that together. Look.... I'm pretty sharp. But this..... it would cheaper to cancel than deal with this. It is frustrating beyond belief. No one else has my password. My husband and I are always home together. I monitor what we do online. I've done all the iPhone "fixes". But $350/month???? I don't understand how watching approx 5 movies a month can cost that. I'm at my wits end here. And the subcontractors can't even follow simple instructions.

Also... with a new months worth of GB... i literally have the router NEXT TO ME!!! And I can't load a page. Is the router my responsibility??? I guess I didn't realize the amount of technical knowledge I would need to utilize hughesnet.
GabeU

The GUI password, or the router access password, as in the one needed for a computer to be able to access your wireless internet?  What brand is your router? 

As for the router itself, yes, it's the consumer's responsibility, but changing a password shouldn't be very hard.  

If I remember correctly, you only use an IPhone, right?  Nothing else?  If only an IPhone, that could pose a problem with changing the password for wireless access, but I'm not sure.  It's possible that you may need a direct connection to enter the GUI so you can change the wireless access password.  Again, I'm not sure, at this point, anyway. 

dzutant

After reading some other responses y'all have to other posters... seriously.... not being snarky here.... am I supposed to be an IT Tech??? Why is the burden on me??? I'm paying $350/month, yet, it seems if I'm not technologically adept... I'm the bad guy. I just don't understand why the burden is on me. I CANNOT make a call from my house. So I can't stand in front of my modem /router and do tests. Is this just what I have to deal with??? Other than rent, this is my second most expensive bill every month. I'm actually very calm right now. But why is it that the burden is on me??? If my electric goes bad.... a guy comes the next day to fix it. And I only pay $100/month for that. Why am I expected to diagnose and fix a service I pay $350/month for??? I'm sure you can imagine my frustration....
dzutant

What is a GUI???
dzutant

I only have four degrees. Maybe I need another in computer programming...;)
dzutant

It's a netgear. Provided by hughesnet.
GabeU

Graphical User Interface.  It's the way you connect to the router to change the internal settings.  Your router has two passwords.  One is for the GUI, so you can change the settings of the router, and the other is the wireless access password, the one you have to enter into the device to be able to connect to the router wirelessly. 
dzutant

I'm next to the router, and can't get my last comment to post. Is it possible that my service is screwed up???
dzutant

Ok. Thank you. I don't understand ANY of what u said. It's ok. I appreciate your attempt. I'm just gonna have to deal with no internet. But I thank u for your time. I can't afford another $350 bill...;((
dzutant

This upstate ny girl just hooked her boat up, launched it, and spent the day on the Atlantic. BY MYSELF. THAT I can do. I'm no wuss. I have no idea what you're talking about. I give up. It's been three months now trying to get help. I just give up.
GabeU

You don't have to be an IT tech, as you can always pay someone to do these things for you.  Basically, in it's most simple explanation, Hughesnet provides the internet access to you, and that access is at the point of the LAN port on the back of the modem.  They set you up with a basic connection and make sure that said connection is working, but everything else is up to the consumer, whether that's adding a router (which some installers will do during the setup) or adding devices.  And when something AFTER the modem needs to be adjusted or fixed, it's up to the consumer to do so.  

You aren't the bad guy, but Hughesnet isn't going to adjust or work on consumer products that they aren't responsible for.  They are only responsible from the dish to the LAN port at the back of the modem.  That's it.  That may sound uncaring, but you are paying only for their service, not for them to service YOUR own equipment (non Hughesnet equipment).  Again, you aren't the bad guy, but that's just the way it is.

Yes, if you're electric goes awry, you pay an electrician to come out and fix it.  But, if your washer goes bad, or your electric oven goes bad, is it the electric companies responsibility to fix it because those appliances use the electricity they provide?  No.  Remember, you are paying for internet access, not service for your equipment that uses that access.  

I'm in no way trying to be rude or condescending.  I'm only trying to explain, in the best and most basic way I can think of,  what Hughesnet provides and what they are responsible for.

With regard to the Netgear router.  Are you trying to change the password that you use to access the router wirelessly, like if you were to buy a new smartphone and wanted to get access to the internet by entering the password into the smartphone, or are you trying to change the password to the GUI so you can make adjustments to the settings of the router? 

GabeU

Upstate NY here, too.  Well, more Western NY.  Enjoy the snowstorm.  Lake effect snow warning here tonight to tomorrow night. 

I have a Netgear router, BTW.  It's my main router for when I use my laptop. 

dzutant

Thanks for your help. I just don't understand this stuff. I don't. I hear Comcast has been voted, year after year, the "worst company in America". I'd beg for them right now. I appreciate your time and assistance. I think it's over. I don't understand what you're saying. I just don't. I thought internet would be hooked up. And if it doesn't work, they send someone out. I didn't realize how much complicated work was involved. I'm in tears right now, I'm so frustrated.

Thank you again, but I'm cancelling tmrow. You were very generous with your time... and I thank you. Back to BitTorrent, I guess.....
GabeU

https://kb.netgear.com/23439/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-WiFi-password-or-network-name-SSID

If you are trying to change the wireless password, this may help. 

dzutant

I really do appreciate your attempt. I do. Thanks..❤️❤️❤️
GabeU

You're welcome.  Good luck with your next ISP.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.   

dzutant

It's ok. I better start downloading my podcasts now...;))))
dzutant

Just cancelled. But I really appreciate you help. You're very nice. There's a wonderful Tiki bar nearby, on the ocean, that has internet. BitTorrent, npr and podcasts for me. Facebook and Fark aren't worth $350/month...;)))
GabeU

Be very, VERY careful when using public wifi.  It's the least safe, least secure form of internet there is.  Use it with the knowledge that nothing you do on public wifi is secure.  The person behind you, over either shoulder, could be logging every single keystroke and viewing every single thing you do on public wifi, electronically.  That's not to scare you.  It's just the realities of public wifi. 

Good luck.