cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure how much worse it can get...;))

Re: Not sure how much worse it can get...;))

Ok. Thank you. I don't understand ANY of what u said. It's ok. I appreciate your attempt. I'm just gonna have to deal with no internet. But I thank u for your time. I can't afford another $350 bill...;((

This upstate ny girl just hooked her boat up, launched it, and spent the day on the Atlantic. BY MYSELF. THAT I can do. I'm no wuss. I have no idea what you're talking about. I give up. It's been three months now trying to get help. I just give up.
Distinguished Professor IV

You don't have to be an IT tech, as you can always pay someone to do these things for you.  Basically, in it's most simple explanation, Hughesnet provides the internet access to you, and that access is at the point of the LAN port on the back of the modem.  They set you up with a basic connection and make sure that said connection is working, but everything else is up to the consumer, whether that's adding a router (which some installers will do during the setup) or adding devices.  And when something AFTER the modem needs to be adjusted or fixed, it's up to the consumer to do so.  

You aren't the bad guy, but Hughesnet isn't going to adjust or work on consumer products that they aren't responsible for.  They are only responsible from the dish to the LAN port at the back of the modem.  That's it.  That may sound uncaring, but you are paying only for their service, not for them to service YOUR own equipment (non Hughesnet equipment).  Again, you aren't the bad guy, but that's just the way it is.

Yes, if you're electric goes awry, you pay an electrician to come out and fix it.  But, if your washer goes bad, or your electric oven goes bad, is it the electric companies responsibility to fix it because those appliances use the electricity they provide?  No.  Remember, you are paying for internet access, not service for your equipment that uses that access.  

I'm in no way trying to be rude or condescending.  I'm only trying to explain, in the best and most basic way I can think of,  what Hughesnet provides and what they are responsible for.

With regard to the Netgear router.  Are you trying to change the password that you use to access the router wirelessly, like if you were to buy a new smartphone and wanted to get access to the internet by entering the password into the smartphone, or are you trying to change the password to the GUI so you can make adjustments to the settings of the router? 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Upstate NY here, too.  Well, more Western NY.  Enjoy the snowstorm.  Lake effect snow warning here tonight to tomorrow night. 

I have a Netgear router, BTW.  It's my main router for when I use my laptop. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for your help. I just don't understand this stuff. I don't. I hear Comcast has been voted, year after year, the "worst company in America". I'd beg for them right now. I appreciate your time and assistance. I think it's over. I don't understand what you're saying. I just don't. I thought internet would be hooked up. And if it doesn't work, they send someone out. I didn't realize how much complicated work was involved. I'm in tears right now, I'm so frustrated.

Thank you again, but I'm cancelling tmrow. You were very generous with your time... and I thank you. Back to BitTorrent, I guess.....

https://kb.netgear.com/23439/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-WiFi-password-or-network-name-SSID

If you are trying to change the wireless password, this may help. 

I really do appreciate your attempt. I do. Thanks..❤️❤️❤️

You're welcome.  Good luck with your next ISP.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.   

It's ok. I better start downloading my podcasts now...Smiley Wink)))

Just cancelled. But I really appreciate you help. You're very nice. There's a wonderful Tiki bar nearby, on the ocean, that has internet. BitTorrent, npr and podcasts for me. Facebook and Fark aren't worth $350/month...Smiley Wink))