Hughesnet Community

Not the service we were promised

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jennifer McNeel

Not the service we were promised

We were told that we would still be able to stream from multiple services (Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, etc), do online gaming (world of Warcraft, etc), Video Conferencing (FaceTime, Zoom, Skype, etc) for our very LARGE family (of 7) without any problems or slow downs at all.  We have YET to stream a single Netflix movie, play a single online game, or have a decent, clear Video conferencing call.
7 REPLIES 7
Jennifer McNeel

I'm sorry...I didn't realize that there was no room to put the following information:  Serial number of my box: B3 0010849779

I would like to add...I specifically told the sales agent that our previous provider had suddenly put a cap on the amount of data we were using.  He assured me that there would be NO problem with doing everything my family wanted to do.  I told him we did a LOT of FaceTime, streamed Netflix daily, Facebook, surfing the web, etc.  Again...told repeatedly this would be NO problem.  After 24 hours (sometimes a few hours more...sometimes less) we are suddenly out of data and the "Free" data is so throttled we can't even stream a 2 min YouTube video.  And over the last month...when we ran out of data my phone started cutting out if someone sent me a Facebook message.  Meaning, I would be on the phone, I would get a message...and suddenly my phone is dead.  This is a recent thing.  I called and was told I would have to either up my data allowance (and monitor it very carefully to prevent it from happening again) or I could purchase "tokens" to keep my phone from cutting out.  Neither of which is an option.

I am very upset and very disappointed with our service.  We have a year left with no other provider available for our area...but this does not mean I should be stuck with bad service.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for posting and welcome. I understand your frustration. I'm wondering what plan they recommended after you explained all of this to the agent. I would expect our top tier option. You currently are on our Prime plan. Which at the time wouldn't accommodate your household. Is that the original plan you signed up on? We have recently updated all plans to have "Plus" options, including smart browsing. This was reserved in the past for our higher tiered plans and is now standard. This upgrade is at no cost, but we should certainly have your call reviewed before we decide how to move forward. While you wait, let me just give you some more information that I hope answers some of your questions. 

Gaming is possible on the system. Twitch based shooters will not work, however turn based games like MMORPG's work just fine. Streaming as well and most of the applications you listed. What I think was left out of the explanation is that a very good router would be needed to maximize the speed to all devices present in your household. For example if all 7 of you are online at the same time. A basic to medium level router would only be able to effectively provide enough bandwidth speed to around 3-5 devices. What each device is doing would affect this as well. The more computers, phones, and tablets connected, the thinner your bandwidth speed is spread. You currently receive 10 Mbps from "Prime", divide that up and it leaves you with a smaller amount for each connected device. Netflix, Pandora, and gaming require a minimum bandwidth speed to work. Unless you directly connected one device to the modem, or only had 2-3 devices you'd probably experience buffering/connection issues. 

Finally the data allowance needed to not run is not sufficient under Prime. Although you can always purchase token bandwidth when needed. Sale call reviews can take a few days depending on how long ago it was, and the sales source. However once I have more info I will let you know. If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to let me know.

Thank you,
Chris
Laura Camerden

No plan that they recommend will work. HughsNet is not unlimited. You pay dearly.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Got the "not unlimited" part right at least. Pretty much the key to the whole point of trying to manage data use.

Continues to amaze me how people rail against satellite limits yet say nothing about cell data limits. Trust me I have rsearched plenty. Even when they say unlimited there is a throttle around 20-25 GB. Many even charge per device if a Sim card is required.

At least Hughes doesn't cut off service once over limit and still provides a connection albeit slow. Up to the customer to buy tokens. Many cell companies charge automatically for overages.
HughesNetCorpor

I agree!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

No plan that they recommend will work. HughsNet is not unlimited. You pay dearly.

You always have the option of dialup.  No caps there. 

I find it interesting when people rail against Hughesnet because of the data caps, but never educate themselves as to why those data caps must be there.  Do you like being able to use Hughesnet?  You should be THANKFUL those data caps are in place. 

Chris11
Alum

Hello Jennifer,

Sorry it's taken so long, but we did receive your review back. Based on the results we can confirm that you were misled by the agent you spoke to during sales. All gaming and streaming disclosures were read and explained. However given all information from you during the interaction, we feel the agent should have recommended a better plan to suite your needs. Also, the agent explained that you would have "unlimited access" which is a term we've worked to get our sales channels drop to completely. Since it leads customers to believe there is no slow down after data depletion. Luckily this has been changed for months now and the agent you spoke to is no longer associated with the sales source. 

With that said. You have two options. I can offer you an upgrade at a considerable discount. Or allow you to cancel with no fees. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this has caused you. However I hope we are able to come to a satisfactory resolution. Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Chris