Hughesnet Community

November 2020: Internet connections are worse than they have EVER been!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Me333
New Poster

November 2020: Internet connections are worse than they have EVER been!

November 2020: Internet connections are worse than they have EVER been! At several times a day no connection at all is possible ...even after 2Am and even in the best of weather conditions.

There are several times per day our phone also has no dial tone.

It is entirely unpredictable when and for how long we will lose Internet and phone service.

This problem is severely impacting my businesses.

I called to see if problem could be fixed. It was not. They checked communication between modem and satellite and said everything seemed to be working properly.

There is obviously something wrong. It has NEVER been this spotty, unpredictable and unworkable during all the many years I have paid for Hughes Net phone and Internet services.

What is most likely source of the problem? Are there any suggestions / steps I should take?

Anyone else having similar expiriance? Is there a problem with the satellites?

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Me333 

If you have a business account you'll need to call 800-347-3272 for support.

If you have a residential account, it's likely that the reps here will be able to help you.  They're on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They usually reply within a working day.

Edit:  I should add that, if the latter situation applies, it would be best to leave you modem plugged in tomorrow, if you normally don't.  This way the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment.  If they need any personal information from you to locate your account they will ask for it to be sent via Private Message, for which they normally provide a link.

maratsade

There are no problems with the satellites, so the problem may be in your network (modem, satellite dish alignment, etc). If you are a residential subscriber, the HughesNet reps on this site can run remote diagnostics on your equipment to see what may be wrong.  They are around M-F during business hours.  Be prepared to troubleshoot. 

Liz

Good morning Me333,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I pulled up your account to investigate and I do see that the account has been subject to the Fair Access Policy for most of the month for the past few months. I would highly consider upgrading service plans so you don't have to resort to buying data tokens.

As for the intermittent connectivity, that can be the cause for the lack of dial tone. I've sent a command to your modem, so please, when you have the chance, power cycle the modem. This means unplugging the modem's power cord from its power brick and waiting 30 seconds before replugging it.

Then moving forward, if you encounter a loss in connectivity, check the LEDs on the modem and note which LEDs are lit. 

Then navigate to www.systemcontrolcenter.com to access the modem's status center AKA the SCC. 

Click on system status at the top and note the state code, which may look like 0.0.0.

Seeing what state code is presented during a time of no connectivity can give us a clue as to why there's intermittent connectivity. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I checked connectivity on the computer at around 3 AM, on a clear night, when the internet and phone refused to work at all, and the computer said the signal strength is “excellent”. Does this shed any light on possible problem?

Off nearly consistently last night from approx 2Am until 6AM.  Got your reply then....

Turned off and back on per instructions.

modem

power light - on

system light - on

receive light – flashing

transmit light - flashing

LAN light – flashing

WiFi light -flashing

phone modem

power _ on

run – on

Wan - yellow and flashing

LAN – off

VOIP – on

phone 2 – off

phone 1 - on

How can I see what state code is presented during a time of no connectivity at www.systemcontrolcenter.com ? During these times I can not access the internet at all, and can not make any phone calls to call for assistance either. I am not a skilled computer technician by any means, so if there is some way to accomplish this please walk me through it.

Checking www.systemcontrolcenter.com now ,when everything seems fine, it says: Diagnostic Code: Not Available

I will try to add screenshot.HughesnetScreenshot_nov172020.pngHughesNetScreenshot_2Nov172020.png

maratsade

"How can I see what state code is presented during a time of no connectivity at www.systemcontrolcenter.com ? "

The SCC is an internal page, not connected to the Internet. If wifi is not working, then you can see the page by connecting a device directly to the modem with a LAN cable.

Hi Me333,

Thank you for the info on the LEDs. What would help most is the state code. As maratsade explained, the SCC is a status page for the modem; it's a site that lives in your modem, so there's no need to reach out to the internet to pull that page up. This status page can be accessible even if you have no internet connectivity- only as long as the modem itself can be powered on.

If there is no connectivity, then I would expect maybe some of the LEDs to be off, like system/transmit/receive. Then I would also expect there to be a state code other than 0.0.0, since 0.0.0 indicates that all is working normally.

I hope that clears things up.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

@Me333 

Just in case it may help, below is a direct link to the System Status page of the modem's System Control Center.  The "State Code" will be in the System Summary box, which is in the upper part of the page.

http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

Good morning Me333,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz