I am in token use mode. I started today with 3.5GB token data available. As of now I am at 2.5GB remaining. My Networx usage shows 250MB used today. Something went poof somewhere. I didn't take snapshots before and after as I just realized this. I think most here know I am someone who is aware of how to manage and monitor usage.
Well I FAPed mine and cleared Glasswire then used another 405MB according to Glasswire doing so speed tests to just drain some and see what happened and mine showed exactly what I used, it was not off even 1 MB so I dont know what to say about yours
Yea, it's nuts, must be nice to have 100's of gigabytes to use. But I did find out it didn't actually do the download. I have it set to manual of course besides the update is much smaller than the full thing.
We've had this same phenomenon, and documented the disparity between the usage at our router (running Gargoyle 1.4.7), at the modem (agrees with the router), and at our Status Meter (overstated). We would like to compare it to the hourly usage level on my.hughesnet.com, but we've had the "OpenID" error there for more than a year, even after multiple tickets about it.
Edit: I see now that sgoshe figured out that his phantom usage wasn't actually phantom. FWIW, our overstated usage only occurs when we have a heavy usage period. E.g., we actually use 500 MB in an hour, and the status meter goes down by 900 MB. This isn't a very chronic issue for us now, as we've slowed the data transfer rate on our router, and try to keep the actual hourly usage from peaking like that. Still, it's an unfair limitation that we need to observe until Hughes acknowledges and addresses the problem.