Now a believer in data drain

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Now a believer in data drain

I am in token use mode. I started today with 3.5GB token data available. As of now I am at 2.5GB remaining. My Networx usage shows 250MB used today. Something went poof somewhere.
I didn't take snapshots before and after as I just realized this. I think most here know I am someone who is aware of how to manage and monitor usage.

60 REPLIES 60
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hughes reps, consider this closed and/or not a problem. Good teaching lesson I suppose.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Charles, don't waste your allowance. My bad.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, now I'm not so sure. Seems the TV did not do the download. Beside the fact the update download is much less than the full download of 758MB. Maybe 20MB.

I don't know what to think.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Well I FAPed mine and cleared Glasswire then used another 405MB according to Glasswire doing so speed tests to just drain some and see what happened and mine showed exactly what I used, it was not off even 1 MB so I dont know what to say about yours
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks Charles, really appreciate the input. These phantom draining things are so hard to prove it pretty much isn't worth the effort unless it gets really bad.

BTW: I've been on token bytes for several days so don't know if that is somehow a factor.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I have plenty,lol or I wouldnt have offered. besides I was curious. lol 🙂
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

shouldnt make any difference but we all know how often it actually does.
William Nason

To Charles Scott's "Figured they had that fixed by now..." post above.  Do they ever really "fix" anything or do they just temporarily band-aid it?
William Nason

A 738 MB "update" for a "smart" TV - what'll they think of next to help us out?? 🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Really a head scratcher. I honestly don't know where it went. Worse than a root canal trying to prove anything on Hughes end though. Going to be watching it very closely.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I seen a gas hot water heater at Home Depot that has internet access.
Geeesh !
William Nason

Gwalk - please tell me you are kidding!!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, it's nuts, must be nice to have 100's of gigabytes to use. But I did find out it didn't actually do the download. I have it set to manual of course besides the update is much smaller than the full thing.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Oh yea, water heaters and heating/ac are some of the first things being pushed for "The Internet of Things". Do a search on it. They are actually considering toilets with internet connection.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I'm not kidding ... its there.
What does your traditional hourly history page look like for those hours ?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Gwalk, nothing that would account for 750MB.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I meant this one.
http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/s...

I know those are "gross" values but .........
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, there it is. No idea what caused it.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Ouch !
All within an hour and all in the download column.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Only other device connected was TV and ruled that out. Networx shows it didn't come from my computer. I'm baffled. 
David Walters

We've had this same phenomenon, and documented the disparity between the usage at our router (running Gargoyle 1.4.7), at the modem (agrees with the router), and at our Status Meter (overstated). We would like to compare it to the hourly usage level on my.hughesnet.com, but we've had the "OpenID" error there for more than a year, even after multiple tickets about it.

Edit: I see now that sgoshe figured out that his phantom usage wasn't actually phantom.  FWIW, our overstated usage only occurs when we have a heavy usage period.  E.g., we actually use 500 MB in an hour, and the status meter goes down by 900 MB.  This isn't a very chronic issue for us now, as we've slowed the data transfer rate on our router, and try to keep the actual hourly usage from peaking like that. Still, it's an unfair limitation that we need to observe until Hughes acknowledges and addresses the problem.