Now a believer in data drain

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Now a believer in data drain

I am in token use mode. I started today with 3.5GB token data available. As of now I am at 2.5GB remaining. My Networx usage shows 250MB used today. Something went poof somewhere.
I didn't take snapshots before and after as I just realized this. I think most here know I am someone who is aware of how to manage and monitor usage.

60 REPLIES 60
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Gonna pass on all that. Guess I'll just have to eat it. If it happens again then I'll definitely be screaming.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lol, the trees? My dogs I suppose. 
Pawnee County

I am happy I have a dumb TV
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

me toooo, I just this year bought one with a digital tuner builtin
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Color or B&W ?
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

whats this color you speak of, :0
GetSatMan

"Smart" devices using bandwidth. Hopefully HN engineers are smart enough to figure-out how to build an identification mechanism (if only what LAN IP was responsible-for-which Downloads) into their modems, or Hughes will have to hire boatloads of CS and Account Services reps to handle all the customer complaints about "where did my bandwidth go?"

Recently I have been using the Internet to go house-hunting, and have been amazed at all the bandwidth this has used what with Google-Earth (including Streetview) and Virtual Tours.

But the real problem for Hughes is our iPhones and our SmartTVs and media players, not computers...
Amanda

Good morning sgoshe,

I just wanted to chime in and see if you had Networx installed on just your PC or if it is installed in your router? Like Glasswire, I am quite sure Networx only detects usage from the device it is installed on, and the only way to read the rest of your network is with the software installed onto the router itself. These programs can be tricky and trying to control/read/understand your entire network from one device may not be the best way to go. Let me know!

Thanks,
Amanda
Amanda

Hello GetSatMan,

an identification mechanism (if only what LAN IP was responsible-for-which Downloads) into their modems

This is something that was discussed here recently. While we may not be able to show what LAN IP performed what download, individual identification of devices connected looks very promising for us.

-Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That is good news Amanda! I have yet to determine for sure what caused the sudden drain in my case. Really don't think it was the TV after further research but the individual identification feature would be a HUGE step forward.  
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks Amanda, I have Networx installed but sadly, as you say, no way to monitor external devices. It did not show the high usage. If the feature you mention above is implemented ti would be very helpful indeed. I don't really want to buy s $200 router to do it.  🙂
Amanda

sgoshe,

I had this bookmarked - maybe it can help you without needing a fancy piece of equipment. https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/manual/router_monitoring.htm

Thanks
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks again Amanda. I'll give the UPnP a go for awhile. Seems like it gave me some bogus info the last time I tried it. Maybe the operator though as was back when I first started using it.

My router doesn't support SNMP.  😞
Knerkin Akin

Do you by chance have a Dish Network Hopper receiver? We just had one installed yesterday, connected it to Wi-Fi, and I noted that the Hopper has a mind of its own, with a constant (but very small) traffic of inbound packets. Still researching, but this is yet another culprit.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks, but no. I think if it was on my end it was the TV but no record of it. Hopefully turning on the UPnP as Amanda suggested below will work. Will probably be a couple days before I can see the data and know for sure.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Trade me for my old B/W and you wont have that problem anymore, lol 🙂
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

$200 router? thats $17 less than I paid. I want one of them. lol
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Charles,

The problem is your old B&W only has 75 ohm twin flat lead-in connectors.

He needs something from within the last 35 years or so. 🙂

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I taped a coax connector to the flat lead so it has an adapter, lol