Offline since Saturday evening

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D_J_M
Freshman

Offline since Saturday evening

System when offline Saturday evening. Signal strength was 57 before I turned in at midnight eastern. By Sunday AM, signal strength was 15 but logs showed that the modem WAS online and functioning for a period of time overnight. It's been dead ever since until this morning with the signal strength went back up to 46, the modem reset itself and now signal strength is at 31. Still can't send or receive. Anyone know what's up? modem is an HT-1000 Central Ky.
25 REPLIES 25
Liz

Good morning D_J_M,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I can certainly help get you back online. FIrst thing's first: let's get that modem replaced. I've expedited a new HT2000w to you so please expect that soon. No need to return the HT1000 as it is an older model. Let me know if the new modem works out.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

D_J_M
Freshman

Thank you for the prompt response! I will be in touch.
Customer for almost twenty years. I won't complain now.

Thanks again.
David

Appreciate you sticking with us, David. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any concerns; want to make sure the internet works again for you.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

D_J_M
Freshman

One piece of information that I'd find useful is the location of my gateway. Will be standing by awaiting resumption of service.

Thanks again,
David

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You can easily find this information yourself and you don't need an internet connection for it.  If your wifi isn't working, you will need a direct connection from a device to the modem.

Using a browser, type in this:  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information 

There look for the information next to Data IPGW. You will see something like J2SEA (and a bunch more characters). The 3 letters in bold represent your gateway.  In this case, SEA is for Seattle.  SDO is for San Diego.  

I asked for the information directly from HN for a reason. Mine isn't available at the moment. I want HN to provide me the information.

Thanks,
David

Hi D_J_M,

Your gateway is in Amarillo, TX.

-Liz

If I sound short, I am. I work remote and I'm burning precious cell phone hot spot minutes keeping myself productive and employed during this "outage". Sorry.

Good morning D_J_M,

Thank you for your patience while we address your concerns. The new modem should be arriving by this evening according to UPS tracking. I'll privately message you the tracking number so you may also check. You can check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page.

-Liz

Replacement modem has arrived, has been connected and is powered on.
Thank you!

Now we wait. Signal strength is still @15 which is what the old modem read. Instructions say wait an hour so I'll be standing by to see what happens next.

Still nothing. 😒 The modem arrived with no SAN programmed into it. It's just sitting here not doing anything.

maratsade

@Liz  is taking you seriously.  This site is not a 24/7 site; Liz will be back tomorrow.  If you'd like more immediate assistance, you may want to try the 24/7 customer support line.

@D_J_M wrote:

Still nothing. 😒 The modem arrived with no SAN programmed into it. It's just sitting here not doing anything. My job's at stake here. What's it going to take to get treated seriously?

Respectfully, that avenue has already been attempted. All I could get out of them was an offer to upgrade. That's kinda why I came here?

GabeU

Based on experience and from seeing other examples on here, a signal strength of 15 quite often means there's some kind of connection issue. The modem is likely fine, but can't connect to activate. Your prior signal strength of 57 is, at least to me, of note. That's not necessarily too low for service, but what might be enough for one location might not be enough for another.

I'd expect that a site visit will be needed to fix the issue. However, I can't see what the reps can, so this is only a 'somewhat' educated guess.  

While it's possible you may see a reply from a rep this evening, as sometimes one is on later than the normal 6PM EST offline time for them, it's more likely that it'll be tomorrow. 

Hang in there.

Until Saturday afternoon it was always closer to 100. I was away when the system went down and 17-25 was the level when I got home. It briefly rose to 57 then back down. With gateway errors. Overnight while I was asleep it came back up and the logs indicated everything was fine until around 11am or so when it went down again. I watched it for several hours Sunday while working on another project and the level was up and down all day. Usually no higher than 36 where the modem would lock in only to drop again after a while to 20 - 25. Sunday evening it finally dropped down from 25 to 15 and it's been there ever since. But as I said, before this all happened Saturday, levels were always good. I've had HN since the early 2000s so I'm a bit familiar with how it works and what to expect from the system.

maratsade

Respectfully, this is not a 24/7 site, which means you will need to wait until the rep that is working with you comes back. Additionally, the reps and techs follow a troubleshooting protocol. First they swap out your modem, because that works most of the time. If that doesn't work, then they go to the next step, which is likely dispatching a tech.  Hopefully @Liz will get back to you today.

@D_J_M wrote:

Respectfully, that avenue has already been attempted. All I could get out of them was an offer to upgrade. That's kinda why I came here?

Sir, please. I know how this works. Or, at least how it used to work. I've been in the business for decades. When service meant something. HN's track record isn't exactly exemplary here.

maratsade

Sir, please. The past had many issues too, and more importantly, this is the present. But you know how things work, so you'll do fine. Best of luck for a quick resolution. You're in good hands with @Liz .

A+ for patronizing. 🙄