cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old problem 'undeliverable email'

Highlighted
Freshman

Old problem 'undeliverable email'

On 10/26/18 I reported that my email address was being rejected because the IP address 172.58.27.124 was a SPAM generator and blacklisted. The problem is back;

"Bad Request

Your web browser has tried to signup to a Mailman list, but your computer's IP address is listed on the Spamhaus Exploits Blockist.

These requests are blocked to prevent abuse, because they are usually sent by "bots" instead of a human. Please try signing up from a different computer."

it is also being rejected by eTrtade as of 10/14/19.

Can this be fixed?

Larry

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Old problem 'undeliverable email'

Hi Larry, 

Have you tried following that link? It takes you to https://www.abuseat.org/ which has an option for you to remove your IP from their list. You could give that a try.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

Isn't my IP dynamic and not static therefore changes on login/logout?

Larry

Assistant Professor

If your IP is dynamic, it generally only changes when you reboot your modem.

That's irrelevant to your email, which is send from the email server. The IP that's getting trapped by the BL is that of the email server, not your's.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

I haven't had to consider that the modem is my IP as it is also the router. That was my thought also that the Hughesnet email server email account on the server had been hacked and was generating SPAM.I don't know what the hughes email administer has to do to correct the problem but it has been on going for a few weeks. I was able to get my mailing list back, but the off shore customer service at eTrade was totally clueless as to what the problem was for not being able to get email delivered to my account. The only solution to get email delivered again from eTrade is to try to contact my broker in Sacramento for help but can't do that till hughes no longer shows up on SpamHaus. Thanks for your help.

Larry

Assistant Professor

Doesn't work like that necessarily as the two (addresses and server) might not be related.

There are literally a ton of malware out there that does nothing but send spam using someone's unchecked credentials to access an email server (this is why you should always change your passwords on a regular basis). All you need is a few people to report spam coming from the email server and the IP of that email server goes on the block list.

Usually the malware uses a rotating list of valid addresses (and addressees) for the From, To, and ReplyTo lines in an email. Those are obtained from lists that are easily bought as most services like Facebook now sell them openly as a revenue source. Most people now use a throwaway email address (called a 'honeypot') to collect any spam for this reason. Also, any of those addresses might not necessarily be the person with malware, and usually it's because they want to hide their tracks.

The malware might be from running apps on your phone or computer, or could also be a web site that has been hacked for the purpose of acting as an open relay for this activity.

Web sites are havens for this kind of thing because I'm convinced that the site security on most cloud servers like Amazon, Microsoft, Oracle, DigitalOcean, GoDaddy and the like is abysmal. Even worse, the individual sites are run by mostly people who aren't technical and think "wow, wouldn't this be fun." As a result, they don't know to update their software (ever) or check their logs for malicious activity. They just update their blogs completely oblivious that the outside world (75% is from China) has hacked them a gazillion times over.

How this likely relates to what's happening here is really the first two things above - people with malware using HughesNet, and other people using their HughesNet email address to sign up for things. I doubt very much the email server was directly hacked, nor that the two things are the same person.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

Hey Professor I agree with you 100% period I think that the only thing you may have left out is professionalism. I was on contract with Unisys in the early 90s' before they closed their PC division I got to know the email admin who explained some problems he had to deal with SPAM among other things. He actually had to deal with two mail systems, the one he started with at the company the Unisys bought to start the division and windoze email, he did manage both successfully he worked at it.

Professionalism is taught (specifically), you are not born with it, you acquire it. I was on a PC Helpdesk contract with a company that had acquired multiple other companies to become one the largest electronic assemblers in the business. There was as many IT departments as there were companies that had be bought. There was as many supposed 'known' solutions to user complaints as merged companies. I also heard that complaints were not being resolved in a timely manner. As I tried to work through the Known solutions for validity I found that very little being done to correct the issue, little was known what was being done to meld the IT departments. The unfortunate part was that others in the dept, almost all, accepted the solutions as valid and had no time to consider other wise. my rant for the day.

I'm running Linux/Ubuntu as my OS, Firefox for browsing, and Thunderbird for email all on automatic update. I've also learned to watch URLs and TID bits for deviant behavior so I hope I'm not part of the problem.

Assistant Professor

Professionalism is out the window anymore, and the way basic workers get paid I can understand people just doing things for a job. The pay gap started getting bad in the 80s when stockholders and management level bonuses became more important than quality products, reputation and standing for something, and it just kept going downhill from there. Everything is about 'me', 'what do I get out of it', and not the 'collective'.

Sorry... you pushed a button of mine. Don't even get me started on the tax gap.

Suffice it to say, that hacker mentality has also gotten so sneaky that you can't tell real users from fake ones, except that the fake ones typically use old browser strings because the scripts they run are usually older than the last two browser versions.

That is why I went extreme on the one web site, blocking anything that's more than two versions older than what's out in the .htaccess file and on the site's content delivery network. Some real people complain, but they can get off their butts and update their stuff, you know. One person was still using Chrome/35.0 when 78 just came out. I laughed them out the door. I can only imagine the amount of malware on that person's phone/computer.