cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On an Imac computer, using the Netscape mail program, I am able to receive e-mails but cannot send

On an Imac computer, using the Netscape mail program, I am able to receive e-mails but cannot send

On an Imac computer, using the Netscape mail program, I am able receive e-mails but cannot send because the server rejects my e-mail address even though the login to hughes.net and smtp.hughes.net is successful. Hughes tech support hasn't a clue as to why this is happening and also little or no interest in my problem because my Web Mail works. Their solution is to shunt me over to a third-party pay-for-service group who is as clueless as they are.
6 REPLIES 6

Re: On an Imac computer, using the Netscape mail program, I am able to receive e-mails but cannot send

Hi javapoppa,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Try switching your outbound email port from port 25 to port 587, then see if you can send e-mail.

For more background information for this port switch, feel free to read here: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/having-trouble-sending-or-receiving-email-try-swi...

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Honorary Alumnus

Re: On an Imac computer, using the Netscape mail program, I am able to receive e-mails but cannot send

Check your outgoing mail server settings (port 25 is now blocked)

Click the Advanced tab and enter the following information:

• Incoming server POP or (IMAP): Use of POP is recommended over IMAP for bandwidth considerations.POP uses standard port 110 or SSL port 995. IMAP uses Standard port 143 or SSL port 993. Use of SSL is not required but is recommended.
  • Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
  • Outgoing server (SMTP): Port 587 or SSL port 465
    Note: If 465 doesn't work, use 587 instead. Do not use port 25.
  • Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
    Note: Make sure this doesn't change your outgoing server setting, above.
  • HughesNet email supports IMAP (143), IMAPS (993), POP3 (110) and POPS (995)

Been there done that. Went back to Port 25 the last time this happened and it worked for a while. This is a periodic problem that I think is related to Hughes server updates but that's only a guess. The mail diagnostic shows the connection and login to both hughes.net and smtp.hughes.net are successful but a diagnostic is then received that says: Cannot send message using server smtp.hughes.net. The sender address was rejected by the server.  Use of SSL changes nothing.
Assistant Professor

That's a pretty old email client that hasn't been updated in years, hard telling what the problem is. Not to mention the probable security holes.
Highlighted

After two hours on the phone, second call, I was told "Problem is here at Hughesnet, fixed now". Next morning same problem! So I just do not used the Hughesnet home page at all. Besides it sucked up a lot of my usage  in one day! Since I use a Tracfone I can't afford to stay on the phone for hours while they dither and fiddle. Get rid of out of date Netscape, I use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird email. Best I have found in 25 years.

We can only suggest the switch to port 587, since using port 25 will certainly fail because we blocked it. If that doesn't work, we would normally direct you to Netscape support, but considering it's an obsolete program for which official support ended almost a decade ago, you may not find any current info to help. 

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->