On our second modem, transmit and receive keep going out and no internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ljatodd
New Poster

On our second modem, transmit and receive keep going out and no internet

We have had the system for less than a month. We are on solar and battery power at a beach cottage. It was working after install. We came back the next weekend and it was working and then the transmit and receive lights went out and no internet. I had a tech come out to fix it and it was working when he got here. But he changed out the modem just to be sure. Was working when he left. Same thing again. It was working when I got here today but as soon as I tried to connect my laptop the transmit and receive lights went out. Checked with my electrician to make sure it could not be the inverter that is the problem and he says no. I am honestly ready just to take it out and get DirectTV.
3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Ljatodd 

It's likely not the modem.  The reps on this community will probably want to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, so it would be best to leave it on, if you can.  They may also need some information from you to locate your account, but if they do they will ask for it via Private Message rather than in public.

By the way, though streaming can usually be done under normal circumstances, satellite internet isn't a replacement for satellite TV, as streaming uses data very quickly.  Depending on your plan, you could exhaust your plan data after watching just a few shows or movies.  Depending on the streaming service, it can be upwards of 3GB or more per hour in HD, and 700MB or so in SD.  Granted, I have no idea how often you're at your cottage, but I thought it important to mention this.

With this said, streaming right now may be difficult, as the system load is inordinately high due to so many people being home as the result of the pandemic and because of a prioritization policy that was put in place on March 20th to help those working and schooling from home.  During periods of high system load, which is nearly around the clock right now, things like streaming and file downloads may take a back seat to those working and schooling activities, which again means that streaming may not work very well.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  Hopefully you'll get a reply from one tomorrow.  

Michael57
Senior

I have a similar setup at my property where I use HughesNet, and your electrician is correct, it shouldn't be the inverter, at least not in terms of capacity.  The Modem/Router does not pull many watts, so your inverter should barely notice it.  However, if you are powering up and down when you leave/arrive (I do that too) you should probably unplug your modem when doing either operation.  Also, when your modem is plugged in, make sure you are using a quality surge protector and/or UPS.

That may not be at all related to the problems you are having, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Thanks. I actually did plug it into a surge protector last night while it was down. Woke up this morning and it was working and was good all day. We have been leaving the power on when we leave just to avoid any potential issues even though we have been told that it shouldn’t be a problem to power up and down when we leave and return. But I will unplug the modem when we leave and turn the power off.