Hughesnet Community

Ongoing DNS Lookup Error HN9000S

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daavv3T

Ongoing DNS Lookup Error HN9000S

Same DNS issues as the below thread here for us as well, for maybe a month or two!
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/dns-errors

In IE it's a generic "server not found" blank page etc type message, in Firefox it directly says DNS lookup error.  This happens probably at least 50-100 times per day, sometimes not for 15-20 minutes, other times 5-10 times within a 5 minute window.

Time of day does not matter, it happens all day long, but if we had to say when it happens most often we'd probably guess in the evening

HTTPS seems to be less affected, but it also affects these pages too.  Disabling the turbo page doesn't seem to help, if it does the relief is too minimal to be considered as effective

It's not our modem, we tested without the modem directly connected to a PC, and we tested with 3 different modems (Netgear WNDR6100, WNDR3400V3, and WNDR4700).  HNS modem has been rebooted many times, and during the router testing we tested with old and new firmware in the routers, no change at all as expected due to the DNS issue persisting when connected directly to a PC with no modem.

Routers are set to get DNS automatically from ISP, manually setting to Hughes DNS servers changed nothing.

It has to be something they changed in the satellite service in the past month or two.

Staff, you can lookup our HNS account by the email attached to this user (@ Getsatisfaction login), thanks!  Or, our modem serial # is J7 111000146612820 G

We do not have any recent cases, no need to call as we know phone support does not help in these instances.  We've watched this discussed many times on the forum, but never ran into it ourselves.  We waited a month or so thinking it would clear up on it's own, as I've seen it do so on the forum threads "sometimes"  It's not fixing itself, so now we reach out to you for help.

We do not want an upgrade to Gen4 unless it's a free setup/install, with a similar priced monthly bill and no dial up speed FAP (ie SmartBrowsing is a must).  8-10 year loyal customer here!
35 REPLIES 35
Amanda

Hello

Sorry about that, I was not able to come into the office yesterday. I am here today and will track down a good gateway to switch you to. We'll try a couple out today. Just like last time, if you can't get online, reboot your equipment at home and let me know if there are any improvements.

Thanks
Amanda
cybo54
Junior

Thanks for the quick reply!  I did notice that you were gone yesterday, but didn't notice it until I already posted.

That one I showed image of above is a good one, I believe that's the one you moved us to 6 months ago to fix the issue initially.  And we didn't have any problems until recently again when it was changed a few times over the past month or so I believe.

I'll be back on later this afternoon, hopefully it will be working then anyway 🙂  Will reboot if needed, and hopefully that will fix it if we loose a connection because I can't use our neighbors wifi to post back here if necessary like before because they moved and no one is around us in range now.

So, if you can, after the switch, if there is a way to verify from your end that it's working on our end, please check if possible because we wont be able to let you know if we have no connection.

Thanks, and have a good day!
cybo54
Junior

Hi Amanda!

I see we're on a new one, seems fine right now.  Used for half-hour and no DNS errors, making note of the setting here for later ref. if needed.

000000000000000000000000 ÷ 0
63 Boise, ID

Thank you, maybe this one will be fine!  Can you put a note on the account to please not move?  Or is this something that they change in large lots and we need to request a fix for every time it affects us?
Amanda

Hello

I've taken note this time on paper of where I moved you 🙂 

I can't prevent them from moving them - most likely you are being moved when engineers close down an AGW. They are slowing closing down under-used or virtually unused AGWs for legacy plans. Though, I think pricing is about to get really competitive  Gen4 and probably somefree upgrades coming to legacy customers (a prediction, but I can make this happen anyway), so I think that you might be more inclined to upgrade next time 

Amanda
cybo54
Junior

OK, well thank you for taking a note on the move.  Hopefully we wont have to keep bugging you about it too often 🙂

What kind of free upgrades do you think might be coming to legacy customers?  Do you mean in the plan structures, or were you talking about new installs etc?

If you mean new installs, does that also include free truck rolls to do it without having to come back here to have a charge removed from the account after the fact?

It's not that we don't want an upgrade, and we've considered Gen4 a few times, it's really that for the current plan/prices we haven't seen an actual upgrade offered.  Side-step at best.  We'd have to pay more monthly for Gen4, to even get close to the amount of data available.  Similar price plan to what we have now is much less data, and last I looked I think the higher priced plan was also less.  So that, along with the monthly bucket is what holds up back.

Sure faster would be better, but with less data and a monthly plan that would get used up twice as fast.  Faster speed is only better if there's room for it to be used, having to hold the brake the entire time or having to walk/crawl half the month doesn't sound good at all.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I can'r resist saying faster speed doesn't mean faster usage. Data is data no matter the speed, things just load quicker and file downloads are quicker. Usage is not based on speed so if you use "x" amount of data on a legacy plan then you should still use "x" amount on Gen4. Although upload also counts which doesn't amount to much unless you do a lot of uploading.

Sorry to butt in just wanted to clarify that the speed increase doesn't necessarily mean a data use increase unless it leads to the user doing more than they previously did on a slower service.
cybo54
Junior

I know what you mean, but when people get used to slow and how that affects video and Facebook usage etc and then you let them loose knowing they wont have to wait on buffering or fear of running out of speed for the day then things get overboard quickly.  We noticed that more than a few times going from 7000 to 9000 and when switching plan amounts on each back and forth a few times.

I do know what you mean though, don't get me wrong, I just know for other reasons like mentioned faster will mean more data used solely because of the freedom the speed tends to offer to your overall browsing experience and unleashing your daily forced bucket skills.  I do note you mentioned "not necessarily" so I do think you kind of have an idea of what I'm thinking. 

I know the monthly limit and bucket training for that can be re-learned, and we've considered that when discussing upgrading, but I'm not sure the offered plans/price is worth the change as we loose the free data at night (which I use a lot, and that can't be changed, meaning that usage would quickly eat up the monthly data)
cybo54
Junior

Couldn't edit the above again -

And we often hit FAP now outside of the free nightly data, due to FB and other image heavy browsing like ebay.  We are on an old 250MB per day plan with 500MB bucket, which is small for sure, but that and the free time offers more data than Gen4's plans allot for a reasonable price.

We could probably get used to a same priced Gen monthly setup, but it's a scary thing to consider.  One thing we do think would help is the FAP isn't so bad, and smart-browsing too.  We think 2 weeks in each month we'd be out, much like you see here on the forums from users daily (Whether that's ghost or actual data usage they're not realizing they're using such as how much FB actually eats up and heavy ads on new/gossip sites)
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I totally understand, had the same concerns when moving from the 7000s to Gen4. Personally very glad I made the switch. One of the lucky ones who has the Ultra plan though.
cybo54
Junior

That would be a better upgrade, from 7000s to Gen4.  We were going to do that, but when we moved to 9000 it was right in the middle of the Gen4 launch and early plans were much more limited than they are now.  And our upgrade to 9000 was forced by hardware failure so our choice was really made for us.  Good thing too, or we'd probably be stuck on one of the early more restricted Gen4 plans
Amanda

I can say I definitely believe that for loyal and legacy customers there will probably be lots of upgrade freebies and deep discounts. As to what they actually will be, I don't know. The time between the launch of the satellite into space and the actual launch of the service itself are different, we don't have all the details.

What I would compare it to is when we launched Gen4 - many customers received free hardware upgrade offers depending on their current status. Meaning free equipment and installation... as the time gets closer we'll know more, but I think BirdDog can attest that even then, we can get you upgraded to Gen4 or the new satellite at a better deal than what you would find over the phone.

Amanda
cybo54
Junior

Thanks for the reply back Amanda, wasn't sure if we'd loose you discussing that or not, happy to see you checked back in to reply!

We've been a customer for a LONG time, since 2006!  And without a hardware failure we'd probably still have talked ourselves into staying on 7000 setup ha!

I think we may be open to more heavily considering a move if we could be assured of similar monthly payment totals.  We can't really afford to pay more than our current plan, and maybe with Gen4 even though we'd run out early in the month the smart browsing speeds would still allow us to happily survive the last week or two.

If we was to setup an upgrade to Gen4 with you here, what kind of deal could you offer?  We are 10 year customers and out of contract for both service and hardware.  Currently do not have a lease fee and would like to keep it that way, hopefully even with an upgrade you could make this possible! 🙂  We pay $49 monthly + $5 invoice (58.49 monthly base costs after taxes) + usually several tokens set purchases each month ($25 worth this month gosh it doesn't seem like that much more when you purchase a set but it adds up quick!).

Or would those kind of moves only be possibly now with the new system once it's ready.  Early adoption may not be ideal for us, since uptime is critical and we know the early plans often get locked in and aren't usually the better of what eventually becomes the norm.
cybo54
Junior

Ha, it's a good thing you're here to help Amanda 🙂
No plans here, when looking from the shop/upgrade tab on top left haha

Correct address was there, I edited it out of the image. 
Must be a glitch somewhere 🙂
Amanda

I'll fork this reply so we can discuss account information privately. I'll leave the technical post open so we can go back to it if needed.

Please reference the new conversation here: re: Gen4 upgrade offer
cybo54
Junior

Thanks for leaving open, in case I need later! 

I was wondering if we could talk private here or not, thanks!