Do we need to reboot the Hughes modem at all, or our router? Also, should we flushDNS on all computers, or does none of that need to be done? Want to be sure we cover all bases before letting you know anything later on.
Hi - the downtime might not happen (its rare) and usually the change just goes through. You might need to reboot your router/computer if you can't get online at all since DNS addresses will be affected and if your devices do not update, the reboot should fix that.
We did notice the responsiveness isn't quite as quick anymore, and overall download speed is about 100KB/sec slower now (200KB/s vs 300KB/s usual). This was tested during free time, when we usually notice the overall speeds at various times, so know what to expect as normal.
If that could be bumped back up a little more it would be great!
Thank you again for the very quick fix, not a single DNS error since you made the changes!
Sorry for the delayed reply! I am glad to hear that this has improved somewhat. Since the route was changed, this means your DNS address was changed... When that happens, all the cached information from your old DNS is erased, meaning everytime you go to a website or do something online, your system basically has to re-learn it. This makes it a little slow since it has to start from scratch and can't use any of the old cached information. Since it has been implemented for a few days, have you seen any improvement or been able to use the system more?
I assumed pages might be slow for a while at first, but we mainly noticed this on pages we already were browsing (Such as refreshing a non-updating ebay page). That and direct downloads FTP or HTTP, but we did notice downloads pick back up to more near normal speeds.
Web page refreshes or loads are still very sluggish in comparison to the previous speeds. For example refreshing an ebay page now stalls for 4-6 seconds before it starts painting the page, where before it would reload near instantly or within 1-2 seconds.
It's not slow, just not the same as before and easily noticeable. BUT, it's much better than dealing with DNS errors, so if there's nothing you can really do it will be OK.
This problem has reared it's ugly head again Decided a new thread may not be needed since we have all the info here (It's Daavv3T here, couldn't use that GS login anymore)
Major DNS issues all day and night!
AGW Attach Info - We noticed this has changed, 2-3 times over past month or two and each time the DNS issues get worse and worse. Now it's so often we have to come back to ask for help
We'd really appreciate it if we could be moved back to whatever settings we were on 2-3 months ago, or the ones you moved us to right after our last bout with these DNS issues when initially fixed above 6 months ago.
Hope you have a new magic fix, or at least putting us back will help again.
Sorry to hear this is happening again Hopefully you'll come on board with us when we launch our new satellite this month, because you do qualify for it
I'll need to do an audit on your account and get the correct information for your old AGW. Now... with all this network stuff going on and our new bird going up, I have to check with engineering first to see if they made these changes on purpose and get special permission to move you. I am sure this will be fine. I will get back to you before the end of the day tomorrow.
P.S. - do you want to get put on a preorder list for the new satellite? I do not have plan details or cost details right now, but in January I'll know more. Agreeing to the preorder isn't a contract, extension, promise to pay anything.. just a place in line.
I have an image of one of the old AGW's. I think this one was the first you moved us to, and maybe the better of the 3-4 I noticed being used. Actually, I do not think this is the first one, I can't remember when I took this image but think it was later one after I noticed this changing. I do see the date on this image is 6 months old though, so it may be one of the first you moved us too?
As for the new satellite, we're not sure. This is the first I've even heard about it, so I'll have to read around for more info. Honestly we've not been comfortable with the plan/price offerings on the last Gen4 setup so we may not find a plan that will work for us on the new one either. Do you have any guesstimates at all yet on plan structures? Will it be daily or monthly plans for usage/FAP?
We're always worried about running out and FAP too quickly, it happens enough as it is on HN9000, but at least it's only a daily situation not 1-2 weeks of slow speeds to try and deal with. We did notice that slow speed on Gen4 isn't anywhere near as bad as HN9000, but I guess it still worried us too much to make a move.