Hughesnet Community

Over paying for slowww, junk internet...this is robbery

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaylaosteen

Over paying for slowww, junk internet...this is robbery

I've had HughesNet for about a year now and couldn't feel more ripped off! I pay $95/month and it does not do what was promised it could. The $95 plan was supposed to be the top one available and I was promised to be able to watch Netflix, etc....which I rarely do, I mostly use my service for school. But the girl said with the $95 plan that I could watch Netflix / game if I wanted.....in the beginning i got the $50 plan and the first month, I played on my Xbox live every evening for an hour, then once my 30 day trial period was up, everything slowed down...so I yall had me hooked then slowed down my bandwidth once I couldn't back out of my contract. Now I have had the $95 plan for quite some time and I can tell I difference. I am a single mom, working full time and going to school, with no outside financial support. I don't want customer support links, I want solutions!
21 REPLIES 21
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You do realize it is a capped service, not much unlike cell phone data plans? No matter the plan you are on there is still a limit on amount of data. You can stream and play some games with moderation.

Do you have the Status Meter installed, do you monitor your usage? Depending on plan pretty easy to divide monthly allowance by 30 and see what daily average for usage needs to be.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Will say the largely unadvertised unlimited period for the first 10 to 20 days of new service is alienating a lot of people.

My first reply still stands though. Metered service requires monitoring and management.
wren2
New Poster

I have to agree about that first month. While the standard excuse is that this period is to allow one to do whatever updates may be necessary I personally believe it does hide what the service truly is until after the 30 day cancellation period has expired. Pretty deceptive considering Hughes is a capped service. Can't make a true evaluation of what it is your actually going to get.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If a person doesn't know what data measurements are in this day and age with technology, then they are better off not having access to the internet to be fairly honest.
wren2
New Poster

Well, Corrosive, IC engines, tires, suspensions, etc. have been around a lot longer than the net and its services. How much do you know about the motorcycles I build/modify and how to make use of what I sold you? And after selling you a high-priced vehicle how will you feel about me talking you through the fine-tuning for your use?

I guess you're better off not buying a bike, eh?
Chris11
Alum

Hi Kayla,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Having a data limit does take some getting used to. Good thing is, we have some tips in helping you conserve data and get rid of data leaks. Whether you are watching videos or just browsing, there are many factors that could affect how fast data is used on your network.

First thing I would do is use a browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Or Safari. These browsers offer useful extensions like ad blockers that will help you in using less data, and have a smoother browsing experience in general. This extension is from Chrome that I use myself:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Second take note that many more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

Do you have Windows 10? Your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time. You can also set automatic windows updates to run only during the bonus period if you have windows 7 or below. Win 8/8.1 and Win10 will allow some control of this mainly with its metered connection settings however here is a more in depth way to help you with Win10 data management. Take a look here:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/

For streaming lovers and multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. I hope all of this helps. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris
kaylaosteen

Getting used to having a data limit isn't the issue for me. I am getting charged $97 dollars a month for internet that is barely worth half that. I was mislead from the very beginning, by the HN sales rep, that told me that the lowest package option would meet my needs and now, a little over a year later, I'm paying double.

As for the tips, that's what I keep seeing and have been utilizing the information.
kaylaosteen

From what I've witnessed, the majority of these "Champions" should be titled Bullies instead. Take Corrosive for instance, nothing in your post was constructive nor productive...so when you're trolling around these posts, just pass by mine, thanks.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Don't see how I was bullying. Asked honest questions, gave suggestions, facts about the service, and even said I don't agree with one thing HughesNet does. You chose to ignore all that and never replied. Makes me a bully?
kaylaosteen

I was referring to Corrosive. I appreciate your posts, but I knew the information.
kaylaosteen

I was referring to Corrosive. I appreciate your posts, but I knew the information.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Contrary to what some people seem to think, they don't slow down your speed once you are locked into a contract.  The company isn't out to tick people off. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Extremely poor publicizing of the 10 to 20 day unlimited data for new customers is a very bad policy. Does come across as quite shady. New customers are mostly unfamiliar with any kind of data monitoring.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I agree with that.  They need to change the policy on that and instruct their sales people to tell perspective customers of the unlimited period.  They should also, at the very least, mention to the customer the importance of being cognizant of their usage.  If they did the latter, the former wouldn't really be a problem. 
Chris11
Alum

Hi Kayla,

Have you tried installing glasswire? Many of our users find that to be the most helpful.

- Chris
shay.davison
New Poster

I had no idea there was a trial period until reading this. We were shocked last month because almost all our data was gone within the first two weeks. We thought our data habits were fine because we had no trouble at all with data usage our first month. Now, in our third month, we've upgraded our plan (15 GB for $80 vs. our previous AT&T 250 GB for $40). I know cable and satellite are different (we can only get the latter at our new house) but we were told we should have no problems making the transition. There's a huge difference. It's nice knowing we weren't the only ones mislead. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

they are better off not having access to the internet to be fairly honest."
Corrosive, that is a horrible elitist comment. To say that ANYONE should not have internet access due to a lack of technical knowledge is a disgrace to the "champion" label. 

Anyone that doesn't know how to operate something with out any form of training isn't allowed to operate it, from cars, to commercial equipment.  So if someone doesn't understand what 1GB is, when there is a very good chance they have a cell phone with a data plan, then something is wrong.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The real problem is the majority have no idea what a byte, kilobyte, megabyte or gigabyte is, let alone manage or monitor it. They have no idea what the byte cost is for different things are and feel they shouldn't need to.

A bit like coming from a company that paid for your vehicle mileage no questions asked then to one that wants you to monitor it and turn in receipts.
Chris11
Alum

Wow yea, huge difference.