PHISHING SCAM again

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pete_Vit
Senior

PHISHING SCAM again

Since the original topic was locked, I'm starting a new thread.

Does Hughenet want these email's forwarded to them? I cannot find any info in the customer service site about phishing emails and I'm starting to receive them again. any info would be great, thanks

Carmen Vitullo
13 REPLIES 13
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

What I would do is take a snapshot of the email, then use Microsoft Paint or whatever you prefer to block out or erase any personal information or any email addresses in the email.  Then post the pic so people will know what it looks like and what to avoid.

Or, you can copy/paste the text, but again, delete any personal information, email addresses or links in the email.  This way, it keeps kids or whoever else safe from clicking on any bad email addresses or links from the email in the post.  

Then, if the reps want or need any other type of information from the email, they may ask you to send it to them via PM.  

Yesterday afternoon someone from customer service contacted me and I forwaded the email to them, not the preferred meathod for most companies but that's what they suggested. thank you 

Carmen Vitullo
maratsade

Could you share the content of the email with the community? That'd be really useful. 

Sure - well as long as I didn't delete it 😞 

Carmen Vitullo

this is what I received and forwarded to customer support

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 12:33:07 PM
Subject: Important Email Changes - Action Required

Notification of recent changes
View on web

This Email contains HTML images that maybe blocked, please click on Display Images above to properly view the message content.
Shadow

NOTICE IMPORTER

Spacer

This message was sent to [[-Email-]]. Please do not reply to this email as this email address is not monitored.

Carmen Vitullo

Uruguay... sweet.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I think the other email I had originally posted about was trashed 😞 

that email told me to verify my account information by following a link, I'm a big target I guess 

Carmen Vitullo
maratsade

Thanks for posting that, Carmen.  I don't know you're a target -- spam and phishing emails affect all of us. They're just hoping someone will click. 

Pete_Vit wrote:

I think the other email I had originally posted about was trashed 😞 

that email told me to verify my account information by following a link, I'm a big target I guess 

maratsade

1. Hughesnet is everywhere. They're taking over the world!

2. Could the OP send a complaint to netgate.com.uy?? (if that's a legit provider)

@MarkJFine wrote:

Uruguay... sweet.

not a bad idea, I usually do a lookup and find the admin of the site, I'll give it a try and report back

Carmen Vitullo
maratsade

I've done that in the past too -- sometimes it helps, other times, not so much, but it's worth a try.

I wrote an app that's based on a mini-dns I collected, consisting of IP ranges, contacts and domains. The min-dns was to be used for the express purpose of rerouting any spam back to the contact@domain that pertained to the last IP address it came from.

BIG MISTAKE. All it did was confirm my email address for TONS MORE SPAM.

I quickly took that option out.

Now the mini-dns basically is used as a lookup table to see if I should just reroute the spam to /dev/null and **bleep**hettaboutit.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I think about doing that so many times because the domain name and originator is in the mail header, but like you, I found out it only feeds the phishers, they got half of what they want.... a vaid addy 😞 

Carmen Vitullo