Pages Time Out

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freeafrog
Freshman

Pages Time Out

Several weeks ago I started having bookmarked pages I have used for years starting to fail to load - timed out.  It started with Yahoo pages then Money pages. None would load.  This last week I have now had the problem with other HTTPS pages.  myusps, mymedicare, etc.  

I have two systems on my computer, Windows 10 preview and Windows 10 Released.  I have 4 browsers on each system, Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer.  All 64bit version.  All fail with the same (wording different by browser) message.  All fail on the final TLS handshake with the individual websites, and all are HTTPS.  I have no problems so far with HTTPS sites with my banks or credit card accounts.  

24 REPLIES 24
KatBro
Sophomore

I'm having the same exact problem in the same timeframe with similar hardware.  Even Outlook cannot load.  Works fine on a one-bar cell connection on IPhone so I know it's related to HughesNet.  Ideas please.  I am frustrated beyond belief, can usually solve all my own computer-related problems, but not this one.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@freeafrog

Can you please post a few of the URLs you are having issues accessing?    

Liz

Hi freeafrog,

Thanks for posting and providing the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. If you provide us with further details, we can better assist you.

As Gabe already posted, what are some of the URLs you're trying to visit?

What exact error message are you getting? (Screenshots would help)

Have there been any changes to your system prior to your concerns?

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)

Does this happen on different computers/devices?

Does this happen on a non-HughesNet connection?

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Does power cycling your router make a difference?

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated so that we can address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Speaking for Kathy, in case it's the same problem Freeafrog has.  If you prefer to address in separate thread, I will be glad to start another.

most recent sites, Avis.com, Hertz.com, outlook.com. 

Sites that cannot be accessed on Win 10 browsers cannot be  accessed on IPad using Safari/HughesNet either.

Error message is ERR_TIMED_OUT

Sites work fine on Iphone/cell phone signal.

Caches have been cleared. 

HughesNet 1100 Modem and Linksys Router have been unplugged and reset. 

Internet signal strength looks low on router light.

No LAN port on laptop so cannot use cable directly from modem to laptop.

No system changes. 

I would note it also took me over 6 minutes to log into Hughes Net.... 

looks like all the https: sites on .gov

such as https://www.state.gov/ will not load either, give same error msg.

I'm having the same problem.  Page loading on various https sites is stalling on TSL handshake.  This is happening a LOT lately on both my laptop and desktop, wireless and wired, with all browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Vilvaldi, IE). Tried clearing caches, flushing DNS.  Sometimes they eventually load, other times I give up. Rebooting the modem has helped at times, but only briefly, sometimes for just one page load, then it goes back to the problem. 

But then at other times, the pages in question load fine, so it's random.

Today I'm taking my laptop to work to check out how the pages load on a different network - I imagine it will be fine because a lot of time when this is happening I just get frustrated and decide to wait until I'm at work to look at what I need to.

Edit - it's similar to what @GabeU was talking about here:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Website-connection-failures-starting-last-evening/m-...

I called my local satellite guru yesterday (he mostly installs Viasat now so does not service me anymore) who said he has had a number of his old Hughes customers complain of the same issue in the last week or two.

Additional data point: checked speed yesterday (but over wifi), was ~ 24 up, 2 down, web response 2.7 sec.  So I do not think it's a wifi problem.  Will get an Ethernet/USB connector today just to see if that helps.  

We are still on Gen 4 and have plenty of data left for month. 

Still no success here with Outlook/other websites here. Off to the library now to download docs and send invoices.

maratsade

You all may want to do the same thing @GabeU did and capture some screenshots to post here.  The more data and evidence you have, the faster the mods can help you.  You all should also answer the questions Liz posed to you, as this would speed up the resolution of your problem. 

@slym wrote:

I'm having the same problem.  Page loading on various https sites is stalling on TSL handshake. 

I'll do that, I'm trying to remember all the different sites I've had problems with.  But the screenshots will most likely be identical to what GabeU posted - the TSL handshake is where it hangs. 

At work with my laptop now, and have no problems whatsover.  I've seen other posts about this spanning on this forum spanning several months, but no definitive answers.  But for me, it just started in the last 3-4 weeks.

Could also be a DNS issue. Sometimes the modem's cached DNS gets corrupt. Rebooting the modem (and your computer if those entries propagated) to clear the DNS cache(s) sometimes fixes the problem.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Screenshots are identical to the ones Gabe posted in old post.  Except for Outlook - no message ever comes up, it just remains a blank screen. All day, all night, nothing different on refresh or restart or shutdown/restart.

I have already unplugged both HughesNet modem and router, checked tightness of all connections, repowered modem and router.  No changes.

Sometimes you have to bring the modem and router down, then reboot everything that was using them (e.g., your computer) before you bring the router/modem back up. The reason is that if the computer (or other device) already contains the corrupted entries, it could just be re-corrupting the modem/router again once they connect to it.

As I say that, once everything is back up, might want to use the HughesNet app to check the wifi levels where each wifi device is normally used. The DNS can easily get corrupted on several devices if the wifi signal to one device is very weak or intermittent.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Well, this is frustrating.  As recommended, I spent considerable time going through the list of questions posed by Liz, and trying all suggestions.  My resulting reply, with screenshots, was marked as spam and won't post.  I've done the submit to the moderators, but wow, I hate to think all that effort is wasted.

maratsade

It's likely sitting in the spam filter. The mods will be able to release it when they come back.

Hi there folks,

This is an update from Kathy, who sort of hijacked this thread.  Sorry, I will take care not to do that again.

Thanks to the folks who made suggestions especially about restarting laptop whilst router/modem are off.  I am back up and running!   Here's how it went:

* Took laptop to library, could connect to all sites with no problems. 

* Unplugged modem, unplugged router, and let them sit for half an hour whilst I shut down and restarted laptop     and IPad, with wifi connectivity turned off.

* Powered up modem and connected directly to laptop via ethernet cable.  Miracle, everything worked!  Did speed test (29 down, 2.5 up).  

* Powered up router and connected back to modem and laptop on wifi.  Miracle, everything worked.  

* IPad working too, just as slow as before, but connecting to sites now.

So I guess it was, as suggested, a DNS issue.  I would like to hear from some of the gurus out there - how do these sorts of problems occur?  Where do they originate? At the server level somewhere?  I do not recall ever having this problem before.  Have been on satellite for 2 years, after many years on fiber/cable and dialup before that (I shudder to even recall dialup!). 

Kathy

@KatBro wrote:
So I guess it was, as suggested, a DNS issue.  I would like to hear from some of the gurus out there - how do these sorts of problems occur?  Where do they originate? At the server level somewhere?  I do not recall ever having this problem before.  Have been on satellite for 2 years, after many years on fiber/cable and dialup before that (I shudder to even recall dialup!).  

First, glad everything worked out.

A DNS is essentially a database that converts a textual server name like 'www.hughes.net' to a numeric IP address that the internet actually deals with, like '69.35.40.37'.

All wifi is not 100% immune to packet errors, especially if you have a weak or intermittent signal. If the device does a DNS lookup across the network while the signal is iffy, the lookup itself can get corrupted.

Almost everything on the internet has these 'databases' cached to try to make things quicker. So, if the device has a corrupted entry and doesn't know it, it's always going to try to go to a bad IP address.

What's worse is that these databases can propagate over a local network, basically embedding bad entries and wreaking havoc all over the place.

The simplest thing is to try just rebooting the modem to see if that fixes things, and 9/10 it does. But as you've found out, if it has propagated, the only way to solve it is just to do what you did: Bring everything down, then incrementally bring everything back up.

It happens to all wireless routers, not just the 2000W. I used to use a Linksys 4500 backed into my 1100 when I had it. This invariably happened when trying to use my phone to listen to TuneIn, Spotify, TalkSport apps while in my back yard. It still happens occasionally with something like RunKeeper as the phone switches from LTE or 3G from/to wifi as I'm leaving/arriving the house during a run - that's always fun.

You are correct on the DNS lookup, the TLS handshake takes place after a successful connection when the connections are negotiating the encryption to be used.  My problems resolved before doing anything, but the day after Hughes did their maintenance.  My guess would be that there was a problem with Hughes since a new version of TLS (1.3) became the standard in August and they didn't get it incorporated until this maintenance.  In any case I imagine that everyone now has their problems solved.

There's really only a few things that can affect TLS, regardless of version (for which the network should be transparent), namely latency and port blocking.

The only thing in the system that could feasibly make latency worse across the board is congestion, and the only port being blocked is 25, not 8080 (https). Therefore, it's not real likely that HN's maintenance would have cleared it up.

There's a slim possibility that they could have balanced the load on increased capacity to make congestion lighter and response time quicker wrt internal hops. There's also a possibility that they changed upstream providers (which might have an effect). But it's doubtful that any of these would have crowbarred it back within the timeout threshold of all those sites.

So, unsure what cleared your issue up. Maybe a slight power glitch forced it to reboot on it's own. Who knows.

That said... didn't v1.3 become the standard last summer? I think I remember having to completely rewrite a Twitter bot's OAuth because of it (when it suddenly started failing to authenticate for no reason, lol).

Could well be a coincidence. Probably not a power glitch as the modem is on a ups and no other signs of a power problem.  TLS 1.3 was approved by IETF last month but you would be more familiar with the Hughes impact than I.  In any case all sites are now up and running again and thanks for all the replies.