Hughesnet Community

Painfully slow connections

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rick Chenault

Painfully slow connections

Tech support are like robots that don't understand, I called for painfully slow speeds, I did the whole reboot thing only to get slower speeds, waited 5 days for a service tech who only works during business hours, he replaces the router and says I should be ok.  5pm rolls around and there go the speeds again.  I have decent speeds from 5am - 4pm, Monday thru Friday unfortunately I am working and not at home at these times.  From a little after 5 pm to 12 am service is horrible.  At 5am service is decent problem being I need to go to work.  Can't get a tech during the time you have the problem, can't get customer service to listen, they just want you to reboot everything and then tell you they need to send out a service tech.  Testmy.net confirms everything I have to say 5am I am anywhere from 19-24 mbps and between 5:30pm - 12am I am anywhere from 786 kbps to 1.1 mbps.  Sounds like a very bad relationship to me.  I spoke with several neighbors and they all have the same complaint.

If you can't live up to your commitment I want to end the relationship.  You have made my life very difficult.  I depended on you based on your word and you have let me down.  I have tried to bring work home to balance my family/personal life and I can't do it because my internet service doesn't work.  I have a 60 minute commute each way to work and have gone back to the office because I cannot get a decent internet connection at home.  There is nothing more frustrating than paying for a service that doesn't work when you need it. 
12 REPLIES 12
Mordacious

I see several problems here and I'm going to address them 1 at a time

I have decent speeds from 5am - 4pm, Monday thru Friday unfortunately I am working and not at home at these times.
If you are not home at these times then how is it you know you have decent speeds at this time?

At 5am service is decent problem being I need to go to work.

5AM is not peak usage time and therefore your speeds will be better than 5PM to midnight which would be when the satellite will have the most users on it.

he replaces the router and says I should be ok
This tells me you have other devices connected to your network which will slow your connection down.

If you can't live up to your commitment I want to end the relationship.
The only commitment Hughesnet has is to deliver you a connection to the web at the back of the modem. This they have done, your problem is with your network. You need to make adjustments to your network to get it to work better for you.

You have made my life very difficult.
Truth is you make your life difficult, Stop blaming Hughesnet for things out of their control. Rather than complaining you should be asking those here with experience for advice as to how to configure your network to get the most out of it.

I have to say 5am I am anywhere from 19-24 mbps
You've admitted that your able to get good speeds during non-peak hours, now you have to adjust you use during peak hrs to get you better speed.
donsjgm
Junior

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the community.
According to your testy.net findings, it asserts that your system is capable of good speeds.
What you are experiencing then is a "peak period" slowdown, due to congestion on the network.
If you will post the serial number from the bottom or side of your terminal -or- the case number from your call with HN CS, the Official Reps. here can look into your case. Do not post your SAN number! (the one starting with DSS)
As to what can currently be done, in your area, to alleviate the congestion issues idk but I'm sure that one of the Reps will respond to your post.
You have reached the right channel to resolve your problems without having to go through the "Robots".
Best of luck,

Don  🙂

Rick Chenault

The answer to your first question is that I tested for the entire day that I took off from work and  waited for the service tech

Clearly 5am is not peak usage, but there was never a discussion and my contract does not state that the system will be painfully slow during peak periods.

Actually at the time of the problem there was only one device connected, and when plugged directly into the modem the speed was no better.

So are you telling me that I should pay for a service that doesn't deliver 24/7?  Why would I do that when that is not in the initial agreement?
donsjgm
Junior

Rick,
HN clearly states that speeds are "up to" and "not guaranteed."
Even so, many of us have found the service to work reasonably well.
I encourage you to wait until daytime business hours when the Official Reps are here and let them look into your case to see if improvements can be made.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

So are you telling me that I should pay for a service that doesn't deliver 24/7?  Why would I do that when that is not in the initial agreement

Rick,

Here is a link to your "contract" otherwise known as your Subscriber Agreement:

http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-01-01-15.cfm

In it you will find the following:

1.1 SPEED CLAIMS AND DISCLAIMERS.

HughesNet service is available in the contiguous U.S. with an unobstructed view of the southern sky, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy. Actual speeds vary based on the amount of traffic on the Internet, content on a particular Website, or by the overall performance and configuration of your computer. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours

Do note however that Hughes does work hard to maintain a usable level of service. To do so they need to be made aware of the problem and troubleshooting steps need to be taken. Those steps need to be performed under a controlled protocol and that includes developing a baseline performance curve while connected directly to the computer. It requires that the tests be done over the course of the day ... early, mid day, evening.

The purpose is to see if your speeds are chronically low or if they are the result of "prime time congestion".

The tests need to be performed on a speed test server that takes into account the latency inherent in a satellite connection and the fact that your system operates behind a web acceleration server ... among other factors unique to a sat connection.

Currently that test site is testmy.net running the manual 12 MB test.

Once your baseline performance has been established your issue will be escalated to Engineering. There are various things the Engineers can do to address speed issues but frankly, it is not a fast process.

I think you fail to realize how much more complex a satellite connection is compared to ground based or cellular base ISP's.

Pawnee County

Currently there are a Presidential Election, Basketball Championship, Baseball Starting, and War and Terrorism throughout the world.  Those thing will cause a major amount of congestion on both land based and especially satellite ISPs during peak.  So a slower peak connection should be expected.   A 19-24 off peak shows there is nothing wrong with the system or your equipment.  Just like a bean burrito this too will pass. 
Chris11
Alum

Hello Rick,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! I'd like to help address your concerns. Please post a recenter case number or your modems serial so that I can pull up your account. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
Rick Chenault

KHQQ2Y02452L
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That is not a HughesNet case number or modem serial number. Serial number is on back or bottom of modem and often starts with a "B".
Rick Chenault

Ok try B200102U607MD
Chris11
Alum

Hey Rick,

Unfortunately I am unable to find your account using this serial number. Mainly the serial number should not have a letter in between the B and MD. Is this a typo? Maybe you can provide me a case number instead?.

- Chris
donsjgm
Junior

Chris, 
Looks like either a typo or likely mis-read a number. (there is a lot of 'em and they're pretty small)