Hughesnet Community

Painfully slow internet and streaming terrible.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phj

Painfully slow internet and streaming terrible.

I just signed up with HughesNet per the suggestion of our satellite service. I have have had it for 10 days. I’ve spent 2 hours with support (two calls) and was inadvertently disconnected (not by me) without resolving the problem. In order to download or send photos on my phone I have to turn off the Wifi and use my data. When I try to stream a TV show the picture quality is so poor I can’t watch it as well as constantly starting and stopping. I had DSL before which I’m finding out was much better but I didn’t need the landline anymore. I was sold a booster at installation which I don’t think does any good. I’m a senior and need someone who can advise me what my next step should be to resolving this before cancelling my service. I’m very disappointed and discouraged.
6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

• Some activities are not working for some people, and streaming is one of them. 
  • HN is aware of this issue
  • The HN engineers are working to resolve it
  • The issue may be partly external to HN
  • A deadly pandemic is affecting our country and the world. As a result of this, millions of people are working and learning from home, and straining ISP systems to capacity.
  • The issue is most noticeable to users of satellite internet, but it is affecting users of other ISPs as well
  • While terrestrial-based ISPs (such as cable) can add more capacity, satellite ISPs have finite capacity and can't add more without launching new satellites, a process that is very expensive and takes many months
  • Streaming is not working well for many people. The best thing to do about streaming right now is to avoid it.
  • These times call for all of us to show patience and strength in the face of chaos, and to shift our priorities.
GabeU

@phj 

This is just a heads up, but judging by your post you have satellite TV.  If that assumption is incorrect I apologize.  However, if you do, and just in case you've done so, HughesNet recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers to their service due to how much data they can use, even if you never watch anything on demand.  People have seen their monthly data allotment wiped out by connected satellite TV receivers, and especially those from DirecTV.  

Again, this is just a heads up, but if you do have a satellite TV receiver connected to your HughesNet service it would be wise to disconnect it, for your data's sake.  

Also, during your first twenty days of service with HughesNet your monthly data allotment will continually refill.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy, in order to allow new customers to update/upgrade their devices to current, and whatever else they need to do, data wise, to be up to date, without it affecting their normal monthly data allotment.  After those initial twenty days your data usage will start being deducted from your monthly allotment in the normal fashion.  I mention this in case you see your data usage increasing on the 21st day (it's a good idea to get in the habit of checking your data levels on a regular basis).  🙂

Jpwhite8822
New Poster

Expect to keep having those problems. I have had Hughes net for over 4 years not and it is no different now than it was 4 years ago. Good luck I hope you have more patience then i
GabeU

@Jpwhite8822 wrote:
Expect to keep having those problems. I have had Hughes net for over 4 years not and it is no different now than it was 4 years ago. Good luck I hope you have more patience then i

That's your alleged experience, and your alleged experience alone.

Then explain why it takes 3 hours to watch an hour and a half movie? It's been like that since I have had it. Plus I have to turn wifi off on my phone or it's so slow I want to smash it
maratsade

Congestion.  Too many people at home due to the pandemic  and using the Internet at the same time. Streaming is being deprioritised, so it will be even worse than it ever was for you. 

I can't even imagine your levels of frustration, but keep in mind you can't control the situation. Don't let it control you.

Jpwhite8822 wrote:
Then explain why it takes 3 hours to watch an hour and a half movie? It's been like that since I have had it. Plus I have to turn wifi off on my phone or it's so slow I want to smash it