Performance Beam 72

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lakeman2
Sophomore

Performance Beam 72

Anyone else having bad service on this beam.For the last week 1.98 down maybe better at 5:00 am.I cannot wait till April when my contract is up.Signed up in April when gen 5 came out.I was getting 50 to 40 down at first then it just got slower and slower.Its not my equipment because friends next door and across from are having the same issues.Whats up H/N ?

21 REPLIES 21
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Just for reference, if you signed up in April your contract is up in April 2019, not 2018, as contracts are for two years.  

I'm not aware of any issues with beam 72.  With that said, for speed issues, the reps will need some speed test results from testmy.net.  

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

In addition, If you are unaware of how to do disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, the instructions are in the following PDF... 

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf  

I signed up April 2016.This coming April my two years is done and so my I If H/N can’t get it together.I have pretty good speed during the free time but once the day goes by it gets worse.3:00 pm here and I just tested 1.75 down.I am paying over $100.00 per month for this.
GabeU

@Lakeman2 wrote:
I signed up April 2016.This coming April my two years is done and so my I If H/N can’t get it together.I have pretty good speed during the free time but once the day goes by it gets worse.3:00 pm here and I just tested 1.75 down.I am paying over $100.00 per month for this.

Ah.  Because you upgraded to Gen5 in the same month you had signed up for Gen4 service a year earlier it looked as if you were saying you signed up for Gen5 in April 2016, which isn't possible.  

But, just make sure you were given the provision that upgrading to Gen5 did not place you in a new 24 month contract, as that's the normal practice.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Honestly, 40 to 50 download was simply because the satellite and some gateways were new and not loaded much. Now they are loaded more and more everyday. You should not expect anymore than the advertised "up to" speed. Even that will probably not be 24/7 speed. If averaging 20 mbps, that is really good.

No way of knowing what your speed is other than the 1.98 you stated, no specifics like time of day, unless you post test results.

If you can't post some speed test as asked, spread out over different times of day, then you'll most likely continue to suffer and get no relief. The speed tests are the only way HughesNet can see what your individual experience is. They (engineers) do not monitor individual client speeds unless requested by one of the mods (HughesNet employee at corporate level) here. Only way that will happen is if one of mods see your results and decide to escalate them.

Your choice to run the tests. Only way they can try to help you though.

And if you got service in April then will be April 2019 before contract is up. It is two years, not one. Gen 5 was not available in April of 2016.

Lakeman2
Sophomore

Right now cranking at 1.3 MBPS Download.
How would I go about posting my testmy.net results? Should I copy and paste the url ?
Thanks
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Once you create an account the best way is to post the results address after you click on results link. Then every test you perform can be seen by others by using that address, including the HughesNet mods.

Capture.PNG

My link/address results: http://testmy.net/quickstats/BirdDog2017

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

My latest test was 3.98 which is fine for me. Can stream Netflix and do everything else I need to do at that speed at this time of night. I don't try to download large files during peak time, have learned it is not productive. The system is clogged during the 7-11 prime time hours. I either schedule large downloads during the wee hours or get up before 8 am to download large files.

I am still on Gen 4 Echostar 17 satellite but still applies to Gen 5.

Will say, a family of 3,4,5.....all trying to use the service in the evening will most likely not work well. The problem being, everyone else on HughesNet is also trying to do it. Plus dividing the slower speed among all family users results in slower speed for everyone on your end.

I don’t know how you can stream Netflix with 3.98.I cannot even watch a 5 minute YouTube video without clicking it off and waiting for it to load for a few minutes.The problem is the HughesNet installer that was doing a install next door on April (first day Of gen 5) told how he was getting 40 to 50 down on the installs he did that morning.I told him to hook me up.The first few months it was great then every month after it keeps getting slower and slower.I live in a resort on Lake Havasu and the resort provides WiFi but it is pretty bad.I need good internet for work so that is why I went with HN.I can get 3 to 2 down for free from the resort.Now I am paying $100.00 per month for that speed unless I stay up all night working.I should of never believed the installer.

I have been doing speed tests on mytest.net.Will HN see my tests or should I post them ?

Thanks

GabeU

Lakeman2,

You will need to post your testmy.net results URL in order for the reps to be able to see your test results.  

GabeU

Lakeman2,

Please follow the protocols for the tests as laid out in the instructions.  Use the manual 25MB test size for download tests.  The tests also need to be run with a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable and with the HT2000W's WiFi disabled.  

It is getting slower day by day.Tonight 1.1 down.Did a test on speedtest.net earlier because I could not get mytest to load and was at .48 down.Is this the new norm for H/N ? Like I said before the installer told me this is the new gen 5 and it’s great.Kinda looks like a bait and switch.Give the customer high bandwidth at first then knock him down later.I hope not a lot of people really depend on this for there income..

Gabe,Do you know if anyone is working on this issue? Seems a lot of people are having problems.

GabeU

Lakeman2 wrote: 

Gabe,Do you know if anyone is working on this issue? Seems a lot of people are having problems. 

I'm sure the reps have seen this thread, but they are probably waiting on some speed test results.  Though you have run some tests, one thing I can tell you for sure is that the engineers will need the tests to be done using the manual 25MB test size.  And though the tests may take a long time to run if the speed is low, they will still need them to be run in that specific size.  Auto test results aren't going to give them what they need.  

They may also have an issue with the WiFi.  Do you have a device which you can connect directly to the modem with a LAN cable and on which you can perform the speed tests?  This is the normal procedure for running the tests, as WiFi adds too many variables.  That's not to say that WiFi is necessarily contributing to the issues, but it's still a variable that needs to be eliminated.  

With regard to the issues you have seen, there are a couple of beams with known issues that they are working on to fix, but I don't know that beam 72 is one of them.  And I can assure you that there is no bait and switch, as there would be no advantage to such.  There's no trial period, so there would be no reason to give a customer higher speeds in the beginning, then drop them down after a specific time.  The speed issue you're having is definitely not deliberate.  

This past weekend I tested three other HN Gen 5 customers within a 1/2 mile radius.There speeds were all low 1.7 to under 1.0.They are friends of mine that are having the same problem.When I first signed up and the speeds were 25 to 40 down I sold probably 10 services to friends in this resort telling them of how great it was.Now I look like the idiot!!!! At least I know it’s not my equipment and I would be pretty sure the others are on different beams.

I can only do a wireless test now till I get my Mac back from service.I have been using a iPad.

I do know what speeds I had at the beginning and what I have now and the same goes with the others in this resort.I think this issue is un fixable till HN sends up another satellite..

Service is worse everyday.Going to lower my plan from 50 to 30 of data.I cannot see paying anymore then I have to for pigeon speed.Space X launched last week and more to come.In a couple years everyone will have fast internet.I still will be texting but pretty much think it is a waste.

@GabeU I am replying on this thread because I am in the same resort as the original poster and he's the one that sold me and many others on getting HughesNet.

I have my own thread and let @Liz know on 9/21/2017 that speed was getting bad where she stated it would improve in the upcoming weeks:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Download-Speed-Problem/m-p/83735/highlight/true#M590...

I have not been on site for a while, but sounds like it has gotten much worse, and I can't return since I need to work from there which is impossible based on current speed tests.

Can this be done to our beam as well? 

GabeU

@jimsearle

I'm fairly certain that whatever is being done to alleviate the issues is being done to the worst affected beams first.  I'm sure that what they find successul will be implemented on other beams if those other beams are able to utilize whatever the particular fix is.  I really don't know what can and can't be done to any particular beam.  

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I'm as much in the dark as you and others.  

With that said, I'm sure with you having tagged Liz she will see your post and may have a more informative answer for you.  

Thanks @GabeU, it looks like our beam is pretty bad based on 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Lakeman2

So hopefully @Liz can take a look at let us know soon.

Bird Dog

>>Honestly, 40 to 50 download was simply because the satellite and some gateways were new and not loaded much. Now they are loaded more and more everyday.<<

Perhaps, but, the satellite still IS capable of those speeds.  I too got speeds between 40 and 50 and now I'm down to 1.  But after the outage and the satellite came back on line, I tested and got 46,42, 38, 36 down.  Now, that same time of morning (2-3am) speeds are in the 3-5Mbps range.

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

Bird Dog

>>Honestly, 40 to 50 download was simply because the satellite and some gateways were new and not loaded much. Now they are loaded more and more everyday.<<

Perhaps, but, the satellite still IS capable of those speeds.  I too got speeds between 40 and 50 and now I'm down to 1.  But after the outage and the satellite came back on line, I tested and got 46,42, 38, 36 down.  Now, that same time of morning (2-3am) speeds are in the 3-5Mbps range.

I remember that I used to be a little jealous as I couldn't quite reach 50, save for a fluke.  

I think the speed being really good when the service came back up may have been due to so many people temporarily giving up when the service went out.  Maybe not.  I know my speeds were great after it came back up, too, but they quickly went back to the "new normal".