cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Calls Dropping and Inability to Stream

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Phone Calls Dropping and Inability to Stream

PlayOn Cloud is a service that works like a DVR, only it's cloud based. You create a free account, and then you're able to "record" stuff to download later. The recording takes place in the cloud so it doesn't use any data. Downloading the recordings to your hard drive does use data, so you have to take this into account when you're budgeting your bandwidth. 

I buy recording tokens in bulk, so I'm not sure how much they cost individually, but I think it's 25c per token. You can get an account and pay for it monthly, but that's not necessary for me, so I don't have one. I just pay for tokens that never expire, and record using those. 

I have found this very useful and quite cheap, and I can record in HD without using data, and watch shows later in HD without any buffering. 

You can record from many different services. I usually record from Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix, but they have a lot of other services you can record from.  For more info, see their site here:  https://www.playon.tv/cloud

I have it downloaded as an app to my iPhone.  When you set stuff to record, it records in the cloud and does not affect your data. When it's done recording, you get an email with a link to the recording. You can then download the files (this DOES use data), and save the file to your computer. You can then keep the file forever if you want, and you can play it whenever you want, no buffering. 

EDIT: I've been using PlayOn Cloud for about a year or so, and I've been very happy with it. 

jerroldtaylor2 wrote:

maratsade,

Do you care to explain the PlayOn Cloud?  I would greatly appreicate knowing how to do this, thank you.

Highlighted

"For many of us, we just deal with the limitations."

I'd say we are aware of them, accept them, and work around them.  Resistance is futile, after all. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Sophomore

Thank you,  I didn't know this exsisted.  Now that I am aware I will try it out.  I really appreciate the knowledge.  Maybe Hughes can partner up, that way when you create an account you could get so many tokens as part of your service.  It would free up some usage on the service platform.  Or work out an agreement with the company to bring them business if they offer Hughes customers a discounted rate.  Free advertising for the company and Hughes decreases its overall demand.  

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@bokbok wrote:

If Hughes does not work with streaming what is the point.  

The same things people used the internet for in the years prior to ever increasing streaming coming down the pike, and will continue to use it for in the years to come.

Streaming is just one activity people use the net for.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

Well community it has been a weird few days. The clearest days I have had since I got HughesNet. After the rain stopped my problems persisted. New month new data, but using testmy.net I am still getting less than 2 mbps on downloads and around 500 kbps on uploads. I called on Saturday HughesNet and it took me 8 hours to get through the conversations because the calls keep dropping. The whole service is intermittent, one minute I am getting 40.2 mbps the next 1.2 mbps. I feel the two are correlated, the dropped calls and the intermittent internet. I spoke with engineering and the guy told my I am not dropping calls and the equipment is fine. I wasn’t sure how to respond, because the account management agents documented the drop calls. After cutting grass on Monday, sat down and again the speeds are at 2. This time I spent four hours on the phone and 11 documented dropped calls. They told me to give them another opportunity to look at speeds, because the speeds were really low compared to the acceptable threshold. The supervisor said he will call me back at 1000 pm today, Tuesday. They were very helpful, but this is the fourth time I have tried to fix this at no avail. I know people who have the service and it out performs our locals here all day long. I don’t know what my troubles are here, maybe a lead lined house or a scrambler hidden in the walls, but I am having a heck of a time. My question is, how can I get a moderator to help with this problem isn’t solved by the supervisor, I worked with them and the engineers. The agents are saying that the speeds are really bad, but that it isn’t the internet and the engineer is saying it isn’t the equipment. I have worked them four different times trying to resolve the problem. I was told after working with the engineer if the problem wasn’t resolved they would waive the ETF and cancel the service. I tried two additional times after working with the engineer and I am running the testmy.net for 24 hours at 2.5 intervals for further doc. The average for the test since I started on May 16 is 1.2. That is less than 99% of the rest of HughesNet customer base according to the website. I can’t waste my time anymore and I didn’t appreciate the engineer’s response. He was rather rude and I have no reason to lie about the dropped calls. This is generally not the case for the customer service reps, they really try to help. GabeU if you have any advice I could use it as I look to you for some wisdom.
Freshman

Thank you to all who have responded and offer their support and advice.  As I have said, I have worked closely with tec-support and have done everything possible to get the most out of HughesNet.  But just was what has been written in responses is that Hughsnet is not for "cutting the cord" which I understand to mean using your computer and internet instead of a cable company. The problem I have is like many who live outside of urban areas is there is no cable offered. Then there seems to be a difference in what one uses the computer/internet for.  Work or streaming.  It seems that HughesNet can not do both.  For me this seems like a very bad business decision from Hughes.  All most everyone I know uses the computer/internet as a entertainment device when they are at home, at the coffee shop, on the transit ride home and almost all of that is streaming entertainment.  Sure because of the Covid more people are doing work and school at home but that will change in the future.  The idea that I should simply accept that this is just how it is with Hughes and make the best of it would have Steve Jobs rolling over in his grave.  

Highlighted

>> But just was what has been written in responses is that Hughsnet is not for "cutting the cord" which I understand to mean using your computer and internet instead of a cable company.

It means cutting the TV cord and using the internet to stream. Satellite is a poor choice for this.

>>Then there seems to be a difference in what one uses the computer/internet for. Work or streaming. It seems that HughesNet can not do both. For me this seems like a very bad business decision from Hughes.

How so? Work should come first, before entertainment, so it seems a wise decision from HN.

>>All most everyone I know uses the computer/internet as a entertainment device when they are at home, at the coffee shop, on the transit ride home and almost all of that is streaming entertainment.

A great example of how experiences vary. Almost everyone I know uses the Web for work and learning, not entertainment.

>>The idea that I should simply accept that this is just how it is with Hughes and make the best of it would have Steve Jobs rolling over in his grave.

He's dead; he doesn't count. For the living accepting reality is actually a sign of maturity.

bokbok wrote:

Thank you to all who have responded and offer their support and advice.  As I have said, I have worked closely with tec-support and have done everything possible to get the most out of HughesNet.  But just was what has been written in responses is that Hughsnet is not for "cutting the cord" which I understand to mean using your computer and internet instead of a cable company. The problem I have is like many who live outside of urban areas is there is no cable offered. Then there seems to be a difference in what one uses the computer/internet for.  Work or streaming.  It seems that HughesNet can not do both.  For me this seems like a very bad business decision from Hughes.  All most everyone I know uses the computer/internet as a entertainment device when they are at home, at the coffee shop, on the transit ride home and almost all of that is streaming entertainment.  Sure because of the Covid more people are doing work and school at home but that will change in the future.  The idea that I should simply accept that this is just how it is with Hughes and make the best of it would have Steve Jobs rolling over in his grave.  

Highlighted

@jerroldtaylor2 

I'm hoping that the reps here reply soon to help.  You definitely shouldn't have one entity excluding a reason and the other excluding the opposite.  I'd be frustrated too.  

I'll tag a couple of reps in the hope that one of them replies to start helping.  In the meantime, if you ran some speed tests using the instructions I linked to earlier and have the testmy.net "My Results" page URL, I would post that so that the reps here can view those test results, as they will surely help with at least the speed problem, and may help point to the cause of the dropped calls.    

I have no doubt that you're tired of doing so, but try to hang in there.  At this point, however, no one at all would blame you for taking them up on their offer of cancellation.

@Liz @Damian @Remy @KathyVoss 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@bokbok wrote:

Work or streaming.  It seems that HughesNet can not do both.  For me this seems like a very bad business decision from Hughes.   

HughesNet doesn't have anywhere near the capacity of ground based services, and they also have no way of easily expanding their capacity like the same.  Under the current situation, no, they can't do both.  And yes, it is a business decision, but not one made for profit, and not one in which the importance wasn't clear.  It was made for the greater good, which is that working and schooling are more important than entertainment.  There's only so much bandwidth to go around, and during high system load they have to allocate it to what's most important.  

Times are not normal right now, including with HughesNet, and everyone is being negatively impacted in some way.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Thank you GabeU,  this is the copy I made from the last 24hrs.  I am learning the screen shot function so that I can now take pictures of the service disconnecting and reconnecting.  Today in the 4 hours or so I have been on the internet, my service disconnected 9 times, on a seperate occasion the Amazon video disconnected 3 times, and my phone service twice.  When I say disconnect I mean the computer says it is reconnecting, the television says reconnecting and phone just goes silent for a few minutes.  On the phone, it is very sporadic.  Then my test reads from 42 to .3 mbps in a matter of seconds, this usually happens after I drop service.  This was an automatic test, so the test ran every 2.5 hours for 10 times unless the service disconnected then I would have to force the re-test then somehow it would eventually start running test again.  It is very odd, but I am waiting for the supervisor to call this evening.  I know if the mods review the calls to the agents and review this information they can see that the service keeps disconnecting.  The most irritating part of this is being told that the calls aren’t disconnecting because they can see the equipment is fine and that there is no reason for them to disconnect.  I think at this point, since the problem wasn’t resolved, my best bet is to take the agents up on their offer.  I hope that the supervisor comes through for me because I am losing time on this.  If not I am going to talk to the mods and then escalate the problem further through my state’s consumer rights agencies.  Thank you again GabeU for your help.    2020-06-02 (3).png