cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Calls Dropping and Inability to Stream

Highlighted
Sophomore

Phone Calls Dropping and Inability to Stream

I am writing on here because I have been reading the support topics to find help.  My service keeps dropping phone calls and I am unable to stream anything.  When I signed up for the service I explained to the sales agent what troubles I was having with Frontier and she assured me that this would be better.  I tried streaming live television on multiple occasions and I am unable, I even turned off the data saver on both the HughesNet and the device I was using and still nothing.  The sales agent told me I would be able to stream at up to 4k speeds.  I told her that was great because I am getting less than a mgbs with Frontier.  She said in that case you should have no trouble, but I am and now movie night is out for the next two years.  I also keep dropping phone calls at random times.  There is no rhyme or reason for it and no it isnt always raining here.  I feel like this is a lot worse then Frontier(Wow).  Does anyone have a solution, because the support sucks (This is an update to the original message, I apologize for my negative comments of the support.  They have been working very hard to help me and maybe this was a person having a bad day).  The always go back to its raining here or in Idaho, I don't believe that is a resolution to the problem.  There has to be another solution and if there isn't then this is robbery because I was told I could stream movies and TV.  I even cancelled my satelite TV, which was great.  

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Phone Calls Dropping and Inability to Stream

@jerroldtaylor2 

For the phone issues, if you haven't already, try power cycling your HughesNet equipment.  

1.  Unplug the phone ATA, then the HughesNet modem.

2.  After waiting for at least a minute, plug the HughesNet modem back in.

3.  After waiting for at least five minutes, which will give the modem time to be fully back up and ready, plug the phone ATA back in. 

4.  After waiting for at least five minutes in order to give the ATA time to be fully back up and ready, try a call (I realize you may not be able to do this in the middle of the night). 

Hopefully this will help with the call issues. 

As for the streaming, you can also try lowering the resolution at the source.  This may help.   

With this said, streaming may not work very well right now due to both the considerable increase in pandemic related system load and the prioritization policy that is currently in place to help schooling and work related activities.  The ability to stream cannot be guaranteed.  Also, streaming in 4K with HughesNet may not be very good even in the best of times, and it chews through data at such an incredible rate that it makes satellite internet a VERY bad choice for this activity.  Satellite internet isn't designed for cord cutting.  

You do have the option of requesting a sales call review.  If it's determined that the sales rep did not set appropriate expectations, you may have recourse concerning the Early Termination Fee if you choose to cancel the service.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  You'll likely get a reply from one tomorrow (Thursday) concerning the phone and streaming issues.  

@Liz @Damian 

Edit:  Concerning the dropped phone calls I assumed you have HughesNet's Voice service.  If not and you're using the net for WiFi calling, this activity is not supported with HughesNet.  The high latency inherent to satellite internet and the processes HughesNet uses to help mitigate the effects of such causes problems with WiFi calling.  If you have have HughesNet's Voice service please disregard this addendum.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

Thank you for your response, I tried the reset as stated on multiple occasions and also tried decreasing the resolution as stated above.  I researched and used all of the trouble shooting techniques.  I tried streaming just a few minutes ago and again the picture is very blurry and the playtime is only 30 seconds before the video shutsdown (at most).  I looked at the weather for both my location and Idaho and both show sunny, I think there is a greater problem here.  I appreciate your advice on 4k Ultra and I don't stream at that resolution because I know how much data it will eat up, but right I can't even get 240.  Are there any suggestions?

Highlighted
New Poster

Hughesnet never has able to deliver. I can't stream either without buffering. I was told by a tech that you need 5mbps to not have any buffering problems. Well Hughes can't even get 3.5mbps! I am currently looking for a better provider! 

Highlighted

@jerroldtaylor2 wrote:

Thank you for your response, I tried the reset as stated on multiple occasions and also tried decreasing the resolution as stated above.  

You made no mention of any reset.  With this said, and just to allay any possible confusion, please do not reset the modem using the reset button on the back.  Performing a reset incorrectly or in the wrong instance can cause more harm than good.  A reset should only be performed under the direction of a HughesNet rep, and then only in the manner they instruct.  

If you're referring to the power cycle instructions, that was to help with the dropped call issues for your HughesNet Voice service, not your streaming issues.  Your streaming issues likely have nothing to do with weather and likely have to do with what I stated.

If you haven't run any speed tests as of yet, running a few may help the reps to determine what may be going on, but again, the ability to stream cannot be guaranteed.  The speed testing instructions are here.  Please be sure to read the instructions thoroughly before performing any of the tests, and then post the "My Results" page URL after running a few so the results can be viewed.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@oldwing54- wrote:

Hughesnet never has able to deliver. I can't stream either without buffering. I was told by a tech that you need 5mbps to not have any buffering problems. Well Hughes can't even get 3.5mbps! I am currently looking for a better provider! 

It's unfortunate that, though you've been a community member for nearly a year, you've not posted about a speed or streaming issue until now, in the midst of a considerable system load increase.  Your speed issue and streaming issue very likely could have been addressed, and your speed issue may very well still could be.  If you'd like the speed issue addressed, please perform some speed tests as instructed in my reply to jerroldtaylor2, then start a new topic concerning such and post the "My Results" URL.  And though there may not be a solution to your streaming issue right now, there's always the possibility.

BTW, speed is only one factor in the ability to stream without buffering.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Thank you for your response, I get greater than 5 mgbs.  The problems is it just doesn't seem consistent.  I spoke with the tech support agents today and they gave me some directions to follow and told me to call them back if the problem presist.  I want this service to work extremely bad because for the equivalent price and the fact that they are the only provider I get Frontier.  They are rude and their service is pitifull.  

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Sophomore

I am sorry I messed up the lingo, I meant to state I did multiple power cycles and no results.  I do appreciate your advice on the speed test and have used the website that was recommended.  The speed is great(even without the 25 mgbs) but inconsistent (meaning the system completely fails no signal).  As for the streaming, when I spoke to the sales agent she told me at even their lowest speeds I would be able to stream (again I am absolutely not using anything in the 4k range)  that is why I decided to switch.  Right now I have two options and that is Frontier and Hughesnet.  Frontier is horrible, so I need Hughesnet to deliver on the sales pitch I was sold on.  As of right now they are working to resolve the issue with me.  I am in a standby mode and I have to call them back if my services start to drop again so an engineer may look into it.  I only used the phone service twice today so I havent had a chance to trouble shoot the phone service.  As for the streaming and internet, I will call them back if there is continued problems.  I appreciate your advice and knowledge and I will pry for more information again if I continue to notice problems.  That is if you don't mind.  Thank you again.   

Highlighted

@jerroldtaylor2 wrote:

I appreciate your advice and knowledge and I will pry for more information again if I continue to notice problems.  That is if you don't mind.  Thank you again.   

I don't mind at all.  That's what I'm here for.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Sophomore

GabeU, I don't who you are or if you work for Hughesnet.  I do want to fill you in since you seem to always want to help others.  That way you have added knowledge in order to continue your mission.  I called Hughesnet today because of more trouble.  While I was on the phone with them we did speed test, but I went through like 7-10 agents because my phone kept dropping the calls.  I appreciate their dilegence and commitment to helping me solve this problem.  So the did multiple speed test.  The best I got was up to 5 mgbs.  They explained to me that, that wasn't within their threshold and that they were going to talked to advanced tech.  They did after advanced tech was done I couldn't get above 2.7 mgbs.  They escalated it up to the engineers who are going to call me back within two days.  It has been a poor month for my internet service, but everyone is helpful and I appreciate that.  It took me 7 hours to get through all of the phone calls because of the dropped phone service, but I understand that it isn't anyone's fault.  So I am going to wait and speak with the engineer.  They told me that if they can't resolve the problem then they will cancel the service.  I appreciate everyones efforts to help me and want to thank you for being one of the first to reach out to me.