cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone over internet modem isn't working correctly

BetCJoy

Phone over internet modem isn't working correctly

We had HughesNet come set up the newest generation satelite system along with the phone back in April. Everything worked fine, HughesNet gave us a phone number to use until our Family business number could be ported into our system. It finally did and things again were fine until my husband ported the business number back to another phone because we are getting divorced. Here is when our problem started - the phone stopped working completely. I have spent over 10 long hours trying to talk with tech support to find out what is wrong. Today I was told if everything is plugged in and you still have internet the phone should be working - it is NOT!

The only thing I can figure out is that the  RUN light on my modem should be a blinking red light (according to an installation video I just watched on HughesNet support), but it is a green solid light. I do not have cell service in my home and now no phone service. I have to drive up to town to try to talk with someone in Tech Support and most of  the people I have talked to do not even understand the phone system! They put me on hold an unexhorborant lenght of time to come back with NO ANSWERS!  Can anyone help me?

4 REPLIES 4
BetCJoy

Re: Phone over internet modem isn't working correctly

I just read about Powercycling and tried to reset both the phone modem and the HughesNet Generation 5 modem. At first the phone modem RUN light switched to the "blinking red" then it goes back to the solid green light. I wonder if this is the cause of the problem? There is no dial tone at all - either the blinking red or the solid green.

Liz

Hi BetCJoy,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I was able to pull your account up to start investigating. I haven't seen a case where a number was ported in then ported out, so I'm unsure how that may affect your current VOIP service, so I will have your case escalated to our VOIP team here at corporate. Once I have news to share or need additional information, I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Good morning BetCJoy,

After bringing up your case with our VOIP team here at corporate, I've learned that when one ports a number from their HughesNet Voice service, you lose the original number that came with the service. So after your number was ported out, you were left with no phone number assigned, hence no dial tone. What we are doing to restore your service is to cancel and reorder the voice service for you (no ETF) so that you have working phone service again. Once I have any updates for you I will post back. 

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

pearlyvance2015

How do I fix this won’t let me chat with them ty