Ping time has doubled on Gen 5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lighthope1
Senior

Ping time has doubled on Gen 5

Okay, I'm seeing my Ping time has been going up over the last month.  Was 700, now it's up to 1200.

Want to get a handle on this before it hits 5000 like it did before on Gen 4.

This started happening before my dish was repointed, so this seems to be a different issue.

This increased ping time comes from steady-stream connections.  (Meaning continually downloading/uploading)  Not from single hits.  So running speedtest.net will show 700 or so.

12 REPLIES 12
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Not sure why, but I suspect this is something local to you... Happened to you on Gen4, and is now happening to you on Gen5...  I just did a 200MB test package and saw no increase in latency, at all...

Testing Latency with heavy downloadTesting Latency with heavy download48 hour latency readings48 hour latency readings

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Not sure why, but I suspect this is something local to you... Happened to you on Gen4, and is now happening to you on Gen5.

Yes, and on Gen 4 they were able to fix it.  So the prob is definately on their end.

Maybe they can send out a tech that will no show a few times like last time. (No, I'm not still bitter about that)

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lighthope1

Are you on the same satellite with Gen5 that you were with Gen4 (ES17)?  

@GabeU wrote:

@lighthope1

Are you on the same satellite with Gen5 that you were with Gen4 (ES17)?  

No. Dish was repointed to a different satellite.

Hi lighthope,

Thanks for posting. I pulled up your account and ran diagnostics on your site; I don't see anything out of the ordinary, all appears to be working normally. What prompted you to run tests to check your ping time?  How is your internet browsing experience?

Around when was your high ping concern addressed by us when you were on Gen 4? I'd like to narrow my focus in your case history and see what we did at that time.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz wrote:

Hi lighthope,

Thanks for posting. I pulled up your account and ran diagnostics on your site; I don't see anything out of the ordinary, all appears to be working normally. What prompted you to run tests to check your ping time?

There is a little display in the corner which displays ping time, so I have access to it constantly.

@Liz wrote:

Hi lighthope,

How is your internet browsing experience?

Seems to be okay.  Nothing to write home about.

Around when was your high ping concern addressed by us when you were on Gen 4? I'd like to narrow my focus in your case history and see what we did at that time.

You'd have to look it up on the records. It was a few months ago. I'm certain if you looked at my posting history you'd find it. It was fairly close to the time that Gen 5 rolled out.

As I said, I don't notice it when I am just pulling up webpages.  Only during steady connections like when on Teamspeak or other like-type connection.

When Gen 5 was installed, I was getting 700 pings on those type of connections.  Very nice.  Sometimes it would jump to 800.  Now it's 900-1000 regularly and goes to 1200 quite a lot.

GabeU

Good morning folks,

Thank you lighthope and Gabe, this info certainly clarifies things. I've escalated your case to our engineers and I'll post back once I hear back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

My connection finally died.

I called tech support and they had me reinstall the modem.  That does seem to have cleared up the problem somewhat.  Ping times are higher still, but not as much, and generally it is in the evenings. 1000 or so.  Sometimes rising to 1200.

Strangely, I have been experiencing some real problems at night.  Connections to websites taking a very long time.

I unplugged my modem and plugged it back in.  No effect.

Called tech support.  They reset the modem on their end.  That seems to have solved the problem....for now.

I will keep watching this to see if either ping times go up again or if website connections continue to have problems.

Thank you for the update, lighthope. I've informed the engineers with this latest news.

GabeU

@lighthope1

My pings are similar to Corrosive's.  This was done while downloading a Linux Mint ISO.  It's interesting that yours are high again...

Capture.JPG