Please explain this

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrjan1
Freshman

Please explain this

Last month, we got a new TV and Dish Network. The tech hooked the TV up to the internet, and without thinking, we used up all our fast data within a couple of days. We disconnected the TV from the internet and went the rest of the month on the bonus data. At the end of the month, we still had 80% of the bonus data left.

So the new month apparently started yesterday. I just checked the data and we've used up 15% of our faster data already. I REALLY need someone to explain to me how we only used 20% total of the bonus data in 20 days, that's 1% per day, but we have used 15% of our faster data in one day, without turning on ANYTHING additional.

I am beginning to believe this is some kind of scam or something.  

8 REPLIES 8
MarkJFine
Professor

Unless you have 50GB Anytime data, the percentages aren’t going to look or burn equally: 20% of 50GB is 10GB. 20% of 30GB is only 6GB. Simple math isn’t a scam.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Yes, it is simple math.

On my 20 GB faster rate, I used 4 GB in one day, but for 25 days last month, in my 50 GB plan, I only used 20% total in 25 days. 20% of 50 = 10 GB divided by 25 days!

How is this not a scam?? What type of math do you use??

Please show your work....

Simple. You used a lot of data during the day after 8am, when you're likely to be awake. Not as much between 2 and 8am unless you're specifically getting up early to use it that way for updates and such.

4GB in one day is basically the equivalent of watching one movie, which you're more apt to do after 8am during Anytime. You're also less likely to do something like that after you've run out of Anytime data.

The data you use is the data you use, when you use it. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jrjan1 

Edit.  Disregard.  I misread and thought you had just gotten HughesNet, as well.  

The point about the Bonus Data still stands, though.  Bonus Data is ONLY used during the hours of 2AM to 8AM.  This may explain your apparent data discrepancy.  Outside of those hours you either use Anytime Data or Token Data, or you are in FAP and your speed is throttled.  

The Anytime Data and Bonus Data are used like the following, with the next type of data kicking in if/when the former runs out.  The Token Data is ONLY if you have some.

From 8AM to 2AM -  Anytime Data > Token Data > FAP.

.From 2AM to 8AM - Bonus Data > Anytime Data > Token Data > FAP.  

Anytime Data is normally used between the hours of 8AM and 2AM, but if you are out of Bonus Data it will also be used between the hours of 2AM and 8AM, hence the name "Anytime" Data. 

BTW, there is no faster data and slower data.  Anytime Data and Bonus Data only refer to the times the given data can be used.   

First of all, before 8 or after 11 is moot. We did NOTHING different between last month and this month. The 25 days left from last month were spent exactly as the 1 day against this month. The only difference is how fast the data is used based on which type of data is being used.

We bought no new electronics, we did not have insomnia and stay up all night, we did everything exactly the same.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@jrjan1 wrote:

First of all, before 8 or after 11 is moot. We did NOTHING different between last month and this month. The 25 days left from last month were spent exactly as the 1 day against this month. The only difference is how fast the data is used based on which type of data is being used.

Gotta say I'm very confused by this topic. So you know 100% absolutely nothing was different? I sure can't say that for any two days on the internet. News pages change content and videos constantly, plus there are many things that can download things in the background like software updates and virus definition updates.

Unless you have software installed to monitor data usage by device, or a router that does it, this discussion is going to keep going in circles.

Ok... Since you refute it, I guess you know how Anytime and Bonus periods work better than both @GabeU and myself.

Your mind is clearly made up that it can't possibly be something that you're doing and you understand how HughesNet works 100%, therefore it must be scam.

Impeccable logic. I can't possibly fathom why you would ask for help on a support site if you already had the answer.

As you were.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"The only difference is how fast the data is used based on which type of data is being used."

Provide evidence by conducting tests and showing the results, because your perceptions are neither helpful nor acceptable evidence.  If you would like to figure out what's going on, do what's required; otherwise, like @MarkJFine says, as you were.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.