Please tell me theres a Fix

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NamesTJ
Freshman

Please tell me theres a Fix

Just got my install 2 days ago. So far less than impressed. My issue is about every 5-15 minutes it just cuts out for about 10 minutes. It took me 22 minutes to make an account for this forum as I had to wait for it to kick back in. When its working it seems to run fine. This internet at this time is UNUSEABLE and I'm hoping someone on here can guide me in the right direction. I've been running testmy speed tests and they seem fine - when it works. Sometimes the page times out and I have to reload and restat the tests which you don't see on the results. Also, I have Sonos wifi speakers that will stop midsong and move to the next or just not work at all and are basically useless at this point...

I have my apple TV harwired into the modem and every five minutes it will buffer for 2-10 minutes. Long enough for the screensave to kick on. ugh. 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/TJ%20frericks

Started watching an hour long show on Netflix and I kept track of its aweful buffering.

time    Buffer length minutes

:40      2.5

1:02    5.3

1:25      .3

3:42     1.02

5:40     8.2

7:42     2.0

11:30   4.5

12:41   3.2

...and well Im getting a headache from watching it but you get the idea. Its set to the lowest quality too. 

15 REPLIES 15
happytexann
Senior

Hi there - I have tagged the moderator of this forum, @Liz, and she's been a help to me and others - @GW, @GabeU have also been helpful. Hope you find a fix!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@NamesTJ

Speed doesn't appear to be the issue.  If you know how, please post a pic of the following page...  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/state_code/state_code_monitor

This will help to determine what may actually be going on, including showing if you are actually losing connection on an intermittent basis.  

Make sure to edit your SAN (starts with DSS) out of the picture, as this is your account number, which you should never post in public.  

If you don't know how to post a pic, please list the State Codes that you see, including the Current State Code toward the top and those listed on the left side of the System State Code Monitor.  

@NamesTJ This is a long shot.  Do you have an Android phone and casting devices such as Google Chromecast and/or Google Home devices?

I actually have a macbook pro, apple tv, an iphone 8, and sonos speakers. 

Something I have noticed - my sonos system will skip a whole playlist / certain songs if used directly off the app. If i play music from my Iphone and connect it thru my apple tv that is wired into my sonos speaker it plays just fine

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 8.47.15 PM.png

GabeU

@NamesTJ

Thank you for the picture of the State Codes.  That 12.1.9 is indicative of some type of transmission or connection error, so this is something the reps will need to help you with.  I'll tag them so that they will be sure to see this thread and reply.     

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, and it may take them a day or two to reply.  In the meantime, if you don't normally do so, please be sure to leave your modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they need to.   

@Liz

@Amanda

And, with regard to your title, have no fear, the reps will be able to help get this issue fixed.  🙂  

Thank you Gabe - like I said when its working (not often) I am fairly happy with it.

Good morning NamesTJ,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I pulled up your account and dug a little deeper based on your 12.1.9 state codes. I've made an adjustment to your modem to help address those codes.

Regarding general system performance, the rest of the HughesNet equipment is working normally. In addition, our engineers have scheduled a capacity expansion for your beam today, so this should also help improve performance. 

Over the next couple of days, please monitor your performance and let us know how it goes. We can just look at your testmy.net history after you've run more tests, please remember to run the manual test so you can select the 25 MB test file for accurate results.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 8.33.58 AM.pngIt is better. Still quite a bit of buffering and then it will fall flat on its face at times. I can not even get to the testmy.net website to try to get a speed - which i do not think is the problem. I did catch this "you have limted connectivity to the gateway." Ive gotten it 5-6 times now. Can this be fixed? @Liz @GabeU

The 20% packet loss could mean a couple of things:
1. Possible problem with the transceiver.

2. Something possibly interfering with the transceiver (foliage, etc.)

3. Possible misalignment of the dish itself.

What does it say when you go to http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/state_code/state_code_monitor or http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/diagnostics/curr_hour_history?

Edit: Are you still getting 12.1.9 codes?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 8.15.38 PM.pngDoes this help? What is going to fix this!? Thanks for any help.

@NamesTJ

That really only tells a part of the story. What that tells me is that you had transmission errors ~4:45 ET on the 13th, and was unable to reach the backbone at ~13:58 ET on the 14th.

Both of those didn't last very long. The problem is that it doesn't tell me anything about what happened today, which is what the other link would have provided. That said, the diagnostic code shows that the system has been normal for about 3 hours.

Could it have been the weather that was causing the problem today? I noticed there were a few storms that rolled through the middle of beam 66's footprint earlier this morning.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

That said, the diagnostic code shows that the system has been normal for about 3 hours.

How are you able to tell this from that diagnostic code?  I know the 0005 means normal operation, but I mean the three hours.  

@GabeU wrote:

How are you able to tell this from that diagnostic code?  I know the 0005 means normal operation, but I mean the three hours.  

Each 0000 is actually an hour-block prior as you go to the left of the 0005. If there was an error code during the current hour, it would shift one number group to the left each hour until it 'exited'.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Each 0000 is actually an hour-block prior as you go to the left of the 0005. If there was an error code during the current hour, it would shift one number group to the left each hour until it 'exited'.

Interesting.  Thanks!  🙂