Hughesnet Community

Poor Performance When Throttled

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevewinwood

Poor Performance When Throttled

I've been a Hughesnet customer since 2011 and I work from home. We usually use our download allowance within a week or so, but the reduced speed has generally been adequate for basic needs like web browsing. The service has always worked well for me, but for the past few months it has become almost unusable at times. Lately, I will shut off the wifi to limit the number of devices connecting and will still be unable to do simple browsing or emailing. It is definitely worse at night, but now it's giving us the same problems during the day. Is there anything we can do to fix this? Or is the satellite overloaded with customers due to the lockdown and summer break?
5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The reps here can run remote diagnostics on your modem to see if something is amiss.  When the slowdowns happen, do you see a state code other than 0.0.0?

It's the download throttled code - 24.1.1.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Right, and since it only displays one code at a time, you wouldn't know if there's something else going on.  The reps here will have to check it remotely to see if there's another issue, but it may just be increased congestion, changes in the way Web sites display info, etc.  Hopefully the reps will have an answer for you today. 

Good morning stevewinwood,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Diagnostics on your site show the HughesNet equipment working normally. I do see that the one device connected to wifi, a MacBook Pro, has a poor connection. I'd try moving it closer to the modem to see if there's any improvement there. The 5 Ghz network, while stronger, has a smaller range than the 2.4 GHz network.

Please keep in mind that even when subject to the Fair Access Policy, the reduced speeds are shared among any connected devices, so even if you still have just 2 connected and you're getting 1 Mbps, that's only 500 kbps between them if they're both active.

Since you mentioned you normally run out of data within the first week, I'd consider upgrading plans. You have 30 GB and 50 GB plans available and can upgrade yourself online if you click on the Shop/Upgrade option in the top menu. Just a thought.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Good morning stevewinwood,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!