Poor Speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryankkinney
Freshman

Poor Speeds

I upgraded from Gen4 to Gen5 on 9/16/17. Immediately after the tech left I tried my new internet out to see all this speed, unfortunately Gen5 was way slower than Gen4 I had. After several days of speed testing it was discovered I was getting less than a megabyte download speed most of the time with small glimmers of speed in the 7megabyte range briefly. My internet is so slow that I can't even load pictures on Facebook let alone stream a small video. After 4.5 hours on the phone with customer service on 9/20 they escalated my case to the engineering department and promised within 48 hours that they would get back to me with a solution. I didn't recieve a call on 9/22/17, rather I called them and they advised it would possibly be another 24-48 hours. They refuse to send a tech out unless I pay $125.00 even though I have the repair plan. They refuse to admit the tech that installed my Gen5 most likely installed something incorrectly but will fix it if I PAY for HUGHESNET's MISTAKE. This is the poorest customer service I have ever seen. I would never reccommend this service to anyone because it's cheaper to go get dial up for the speeds you'll recieve.

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ryankkinney

Why do you assume they installed something incorrectly and it requires a tech visit?  

You should post the speeds like you posted on the other thread.  

It would also be beneficial to post the Results URL of the testmy.net speeds you said you ran.  Not just posting the speeds, but the URL.  When it comes to testmy.net, the URL must be posted so the tests can be looked at on the testmy.net site.  You can find the URL in the address bar while in the Results section of your testmy.net account.    

Hughesnet can see my test speeds I do on their testing app on my account. They are complete **bleep**. That testmy.net is worthless, it times out the majority of the time. I am now on the 4th day of waiting for the engineering department to get back with me, which I was suppose to hear something within 48 hours. This company is poor in customer service skills. The reason i'm confident that the thing was installed incorrectly is, I know the dish has to be readjusted to be moved to the new satellite for Gen 5. The adjustment markers on the satellite are still in the exact same spots as they were for Gen4. My tech was over an hour late, was here maybe 5-10 minutes and several of those minutes were playing with my dog/getting signatures.

It's pretty sad, I upgrade from Gen4, which I had absolutely no issues with, great speeds. I upgrade to Gen5 and it's complete **bleep** all around. If they can't provide the service consistently, then they shouldn't offer it at all. My download speed this morning at 8:48am according to the hughesnet speed test was 0.99kbps. <<<<Fantastic right?? I'm sure in all your worlds that's close enough to 25mbps. **bleep**, at this point I would be happy with a consistent 7-8mbps download.

The satellite that Gen4 used, is also used for Gen5 service.

If you really want to know what satellite you are on, go to http://192.168.0.1 and click on "System Information".  The satellite name will be listed there.

"i'm confident that the thing was installed incorrectly is, I know the dish has to be readjusted to be moved to the new satellite for Gen 5. The adjustment markers on the satellite are still in the exact same spots as they were for Gen4"

There are no longer any "Gen4" plans being sold.

It is not a case of ES17=Gen4 and ES19 being Gen5

Gen5 is a plan level  with up to speeds of 25 Mbps whereas Gen4 (now grandfathered) at up to speeds of 15 Mbps.

Both ES17 & ES19 support Gen5 level plans.

Engineering will need a current set of speed tests to determine your basline performance so that they can find out where the bottle neck is. There are a lot of adjustments going on as the new servers and gateways are being added and tuned.

Update. Just spoke with the engineering department after calling back in to ask why I hadn't recieved a call. After 3 tests on my part at www.speedof.me the engineer did a few test on her part and she 100% agreed with me that the tech had not installed my new service correctly. She believes he did not fine tune it to the new satellite as he should have causing extremely low speeds on my end. Instead of charging me for his mistakes, she waived the service fee and is sending a tech out to properly fix it and she made sure it's not the tech who initially installed.

So, what satellite name do you have?

If your unit is in fact pointed to ES17, then there's a high chance you don't get LOS to ES19, and if you do have a clear LOS, they will have to install a different modem, can't change satellite on these modems once installed for some reason from what I have been told.

I just dont understand needing a tech.  When I called to upgrade from Gen 4 to Gen5 all they did was send me the new modem for me to install.

Wondering now if I need to have a tech come out?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Nancy266 wrote:

I just dont understand needing a tech.  When I called to upgrade from Gen 4 to Gen5 all they did was send me the new modem for me to install.

Wondering now if I need to have a tech come out?

Techs are only needed to come out when the dish needs to be pointed at a different satellite.  When it doesn't need to be only the new modem is required for the upgrade.  

Nancy266
New Poster

Having the same exact problems.  Upgraded with the new modem/wifi they sent this week, and ever since I can no longer live stream or even send out pictures. Even browsing the internet is painfully slow.  It's horrible.  I'm ready to dig my old modem out of the trash and re-install it.