Poor internet speed / overall poor performance

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgoodall
New Poster

Poor internet speed / overall poor performance

The system was installed on December 27, 2021 and almost from the beginning the performance was below par.  System id's are:

SAN: [edited for privacy] ESN: 13073932 

There have been occassional periods (never more than a couple of hours) when things performed as expected.  Below is the URL for the testmy.net results for the past two days.  As you can see from the results, the issue doesn't seem to be related to any particular time of day.

There are also test results available from prior to January 4th, 2022 but I used a 3mb upload file in those. 

The system being utilized for the testing is a Lenovo M90 with 16gb of memory.  It is running Windows Server 2016 64 bit mode.  The browser being used is Firefox 95.0.2.  The system is directly connected to LAN 2 port at 1000Mbit full duplex.  All WiFi ssid's are set to disabled during the testing.

Not entirely sure this is relavent but the router isn't showing any data usage.  Even at the sluggish rate the system has been performing, there should be some data being being expended.  (My best guess would be roughly 10-12gb).

Please let me know what other information you require.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Richard%20Goodall?type=user_name&q=Richard+Goodall&limit=25&dateFull=0...

Thank you

Richard Goodall

8 REPLIES 8
Liz

Good morning rgoodall,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting and sharing your troubleshooting steps so far, this helps a lot! What were you trying to do online that prompted the speed tests?

Currently I see two device connected via LAN, the "ION" device and something with the MAC address ending in cb:7e. Assuming that ION was the testing device, was the cb:7e device also disconnected from the HughesNet modem during testing?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you for you quick response.

I am moving off of a Century Link DSL circuit.  To start with, I expected the overall performance to be an order of magnitude better than DSL. Unfortunately, that has not been the case - so far.  I'm not sure there is any one thing that triggered the speed test - just an overall malaise.  Attempting to stream video is difficult - numerous stops to buffer.  Refresh between web pages is generally "slow".  There are frequent occassions when Prime Video times out. 

Even the testmy.net process is problematic.  From the point in time when 25mb is selected until the test actually shows as running in typically in excess of 30 seconds.  Similar delays are seen on the upload side.

I apologize, the cb:7e device was not disconnected during the test.  It has been and all test after 17:00 EST January 06, 2022 have been conducted with this device offline.  Additionally, any test run prior to January 03, 2022 did not have this device connected.  The cb:73 device is a Z-Wave bridge connected to a pair of local devices and most likely had not impact on the testing.

Also, sorry about the SAN.  I wasn't aware that is was the account number.  Thank you (Gabe) for masking that.

Richard

Here is the link to the most recent testing.  The last 8 or 9 test had the Z-Wave bridge and the WiFi shutoff.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Richard%20Goodall

Good morning rgoodall,

Thank you for the additional details. I'd like to narrow in on your streaming concerns first, so I have more questions and troubleshooting steps regarding those.

Besides Amazon Prime Video, on what other streaming platforms or sites are you encountering buffering and time outs?

Around what time of day/night do you usually stream?

Does it buffer every time?

On which device(s) do you usually stream?

If streaming from a streaming app on a mobile device or smart TV, please ensure that the mobile device, smart TV, and streaming app are all up to date.

If all up to date, and still experiencing buffering, try test streaming on the native streaming website (netflix.com, as opposed to the Netflix app) from an isolated computer hardwired to the HughesNet modem with wifi disabled. This is like when you run speed tests; the isolation will better demonstrate streaming performance without any interference from other network devices. 

If you find that the hardwired device streams fine, you can also isolate a wifi device by turning off all other wifi devices, and check streaming on it to see if there's any improvement. Just want to check if a device on its own on the network can stream well.

Then you can try adding more devices one by one to see if there's a point the streaming starts to buffer again. I noticed you had 12-14 devices total on your network; just a reminder that the speeds delivered from the modem is shared amongst all connected devices.

Regarding slow browsing, is this on every website you visit or certains ones? Which sites?

A commonly suggested tip in the community to improving browsing is to install an adblocker to speed up performance.

Other suggestions for testing/improving browsing:

- Remove unused browser extensions/add-ons.

- Clear your cache and cookies.

- Uninstall and reinstall your browser.

- Keep track of your tabs/minimize the number of open tabs and windows.

- Use extensions or apps that help performance.

- Disconnect any network devices not in use.

- Make sure you have service plan data.

- If you're browsing on your phone, enable low-data mode https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/low-data-mode

- Make sure your browser is up to date.

- Make sure your computer/phone is up to date.

- Close any other programs not being actively used.

- Check for discreetly running background processes that use internet, such as cloud backups syncing. 

- Run a malware scan and ensure your device is clean.

I know it's a lot of info and things to try, so please do so at your convenience and let me know what you find out. The details from streaming troubleshooting will be especially useful if I need to escalate this to our corporate engineers. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good Morning Liz:

I trust you had a good weekend.

You did provide quite the luandry list of items to check and I have managed to wade through a good percentage but not all.  Unfortunately, I have to leave town for a few days on business and won't be able to complete the list until I return, next week.  Consequently, I'm going to ask that you set this issue aside for now and I'll reach out when I return.

Thank you, I appreciate you assistance in this matter.

Richard

No worries, Richard, thank you for letting me know. I'll keep your thread open so you can come back to this whenever you're ready.

-Liz

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

rgoodall,

You should edit the SAN out of your post.  This is the account number, which should never be posted in public.  You can edit your post by clicking on the three vertical dots to the upper right of the message body.

Thanks Gabe, I forgot to do that myself.

-Liz