Poor speed and worse customer service,

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike23
New Poster

Poor speed and worse customer service,

So, my service is pathetic, had to switch my laptop to my Verizon hotspot in order to use the internet. Called customer service and after being on hold for 1/2 hour was told the weather in New Mexico was poor and that was causing my problem (in Michigan), call was then cutoff before I could ask for clarification. Two days later and no improvement I called again, only on hold for 25 minutes before speaking with agent who said issue was above his paygrade and would require senior technician, I told him I was concerned the call would be cutoff, he of course put me on hold and the call was dropped. Sent email to customer service asking for callback and still no word.  Paying for 20G and getting crap, will drop Hughes the minute my contract expires. 

Server Selected: Chicago

DOWNLOAD SPEED: 2.40 MbpsUPLOAD SPEED: 0.07 Mbps

Perform Test Again Close

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"was told the weather in New Mexico was poor and that was causing my problem (in Michigan), "

The ground station where the satellite signal comes in is always in a different state from where you live.  Weather at your location OR at the ground station can impact your signal, your speed, etc. 

Given the country is going through a very serious pandemic, with many ill and many dying, and given the stay at home orders in many states, people are staying at home and working or studying from home.  This has caused a surge in internet use, and it is very easily felt by those of us who are on satellite internet.  Probably going to get worse, not better. More people using the limited satellite system will be felt as higher delays and slower speed. 

People on this site can help troubleshoot speed issues, but you will need to run some speed tests using the procedure described here: 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

To run your tests, choose the server that is closest to New Mexico.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@Mike23 wrote:

So, my service is pathetic, had to switch my laptop to my Verizon hotspot in order to use the internet. Called customer service and after being on hold for 1/2 hour was told the weather in New Mexico was poor and that was causing my problem (in Michigan), call was then cutoff before I could ask for clarification. Two days later and no improvement I called again, only on hold for 25 minutes before speaking with agent who said issue was above his paygrade and would require senior technician, I told him I was concerned the call would be cutoff, he of course put me on hold and the call was dropped. Sent email to customer service asking for callback and still no word.  Paying for 20G and getting crap, will drop Hughes the minute my contract expires. 

I have the same issues with the poor speed and the horrible customer service. My speed actually fluctuates constantly, also when I'm on a meeting it says unstable internet connection.

I did run the speed tests on testmy.net but nobody at HughesNet seems to care. So I just joined the community and I'm not sure what I should do. When I try to chat with customer support they always just disconnect me.

maratsade

• Start you own topic by going to Tech Support and clicking "Start a topic."  Each topic is like a ticket and they are handled individually. 
  • You will need to run tests via Testmy.net, following these instructions:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607
  • These tests are required to have speed issues evaluated in this community.
  • Latency with satellite is high, so you will not get consistent speeds when in a meeting, or browsing, or streaming. This is satellite internet. Adaptation is key.
  • You may be getting disconnected because of latency issues or because you're being rude to the customer service person. Keep in mind they're human and treat them with respect. 
  • The whole country is in crisis. This affects everything. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

dmh wrote:

I have the same issues with the poor speed and the horrible customer service. My speed actually fluctuates constantly, also when I'm on a meeting it says unstable internet connection.

I did run the speed tests on testmy.net but nobody at HughesNet seems to care. So I just joined the community and I'm not sure what I should do. When I try to chat with customer support they always just disconnect me.

Thank you for the information on how to navigate the community site, I am new at this.

I would not, and have never been rude to the people I have spoken to or chatted with. I do ask a lot of questions because that's how I understand what the problem is. They are here to help.

And I realize everything is turned upside down right now, believe me, that's why I need my internet to work. I now have to work from home and I cannot afford to not get paid because my internet isn't working and it's keeping me from doing my job, this is a single income household and believe me, considering the stress I'm under, I would have the right to be a little short with the people who can't seem  to help anything. But I'm not.

Thanks again and have a nice day.

maratsade

I totally sympathise with you.  I hope you will open a new ticket under Tech Support so the people on this site can have the opportunity to give you some assistance. 

dmh wrote:

Thank you for the information on how to navigate the community site, I am new at this.

I would not, and have never been rude to the people I have spoken to or chatted with. I do ask a lot of questions because that's how I understand what the problem is. They are here to help.

And I realize everything is turned upside down right now, believe me, that's why I need my internet to work. I now have to work from home and I cannot afford to not get paid because my internet isn't working and it's keeping me from doing my job, this is a single income household and believe me, considering the stress I'm under, I would have the right to be a little short with the people who can't seem  to help anything. But I'm not.

Thanks again and have a nice day.