Poor speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilson2424
New Poster

Poor speed

I was just installed Wed. My speed is so slow. I have run my test at www.testmy.net. Here are my results.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/wilson2424

Please help!

Joann

17 REPLIES 17
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@wilson2424 

While running the speed tests, are you making sure to run them with a single LAN cable connected device and with the HT2000W's WiFi disabled?

Also, if you run more tests, please make sure to space the tests at least five minutes apart from each other.

Edit:  I should have mentioned this first, but power cycling your HughesNet modem can sometimes help with your speed.  To do this, first shut down your computer, then unplug the HughesNet modem at either the wall outlet or the power pack (NOT at the back of the modem).  Wait at least a minute, then plug the modem back in.  Wait at least five minutes, then start your computer and test your speed again.

Gabeu, this is a very good friend of mine that needs help. The test were not connected by hard wire. We used the modems wifi setting. Her system is messed up. I Believe her power light was blinking as well. I will be down there again on Monday to further help her with this problem. Thanks for your help.

Modem has been reset.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Ricky 

The reps are sometimes on during the weekends as of late, so she should be sure to leave the modem plugged in in case the reps see this and want to run remote diagnostics.  

Regarding the speed testing, if she only has the ability to run the tests via WiFi she should probably hold off on them, at least for now, or at least until you can get there and run some with a LAN cable connected device.  

Good luck.  🙂

Thanks GabeU. I will be down there on Monday. We will be awaiting the mods instructions.

Liz

Hi wilson2424,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I ran diagnostics on your site and I'm seeing that the HughesNet equipment is working properly, and currently the speeds being delivered to the modem are ~18 Mbps. 

The wifi device HPE26E78 only has a fair connection to the wifi modem. You might want to try moving that device closer to the modem if that's what you're using the run speed tests. However, as the others in this thread have discussed, it would be best to run speed tests while directly connected to the modem and with the wifi disabled to prevent any interference.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz and thank you for your reply. There are 3 devices that could possible connect to the modem. The laptop, Ipad and a wireless printer which is HP. She does not have a cable long enough to directly connect to the laptop with where the modem is. I will take a cable down there with me tomorrow to see if I can get it directly hooked up. I think her lights on the modem were going in and out the last time I was down there. I will double check on that issue as well.

Hi wilson2424,

After running and reviewing your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot:  Saturday, May 11, 2019 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

That truck roll worked! Thank you Liz for finding a solution to Wilson2424's problem. Speeds so far are very good.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/wilson2424

Again, thank you so much.

Ricky

Liz

Thanks Ricky. I know the installers are supposed to put the modem in an ideal spot where wifi connectivity is best, but I'm curious if that's still the case here.

The laptop that is used is less then 10 feet from the modem when in use. Let's see what I can come up with tomorrow.

There is only about 1 foot of cable that comes through the wall to the modem. No way I can hook directly to the modem and run test. Something just isn't right with this system. I will bring down my computer and hook into the system to see if the computer may be the problem.

I have found a longer cable. I will take it down there tomorrow along with my computer to do some test. I will post back with results.

Alrighty! Can't wait to hear back. Thanks wilson2424and Ricky!

The 1st 2 test on the wilson2424 account, at testmy, was my computer hooked up to their system. The rest are directly connected with wifi off on the wilson2424 computer.

Good morning Ricky, 

Looks great! Thank you for the update! I appreciate you assisting wilson2424, and her cooperation throughout this process. The community's always open if you need anything else.

Liz

Thanks Ricky. So today at 1:53:04 pm and 1:44:58 pm were done on your computer, right? Let me run new diagnostics and I'll reach out again.

That is correct Liz.